The sounds of silence on my iMac :-(

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bruceg, Mar 18, 2004.

1. bruceg macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an older model G3 iMac (one of the original designs) and about a year ago, I inserted a minidisk into the slot loader and it got stuck. The result of getting it removed caused me to damage the internal speakers as to where my Imac doesn't make any noise anymore. I finally got around to buying some internal speakers at the local Apple store today (JBL Creature II). The sales person assured me that the internal speaker nonfunctionality would have no effect on external speakers, however I still have no sound! I am pretty sure everythng is connected correctly and I have the sound turned on in my system (OS 9.2). Anyone have any ideas who no sound still? or anything I might try?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce Gilbert

2. alphaq619 macrumors member

First of all, you should know better than to stick a mini CD into a slot loading drive.

Second of all, have you tried adjusting the volume on the speakers themselves? If you look on the satellite speakers, you'll see a "plus" and a "minus" sign. They are activated by touch and have no moving parts. Try that and see if you can get sound out of your speakers.

3. bruceg thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I know (about the mini CD), but the damage is done. I have tried adjusting the volume and nothing is coming out, period.

4. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

assuming you are running OSX..
    in Applications, go to the Utilities folder, and in there open AudioMidi Setup.
    is the Default output set to "Built-in Audio" or something similar?
    as long as you have the cable from your speakers plugged into the 1/8" jack on your iMac, it should tell your iMac to output via the jack and not the speakers.

on that same pane, you should also see beneat Default Output a section of the pane labeled "Audio Output" the source should be "Headphones" or in rare instances "External Speakers". If it says "Internal Speakers" and your new speakers are in fact plugged in, then you got a fried Audio-Output (headphone) jack. :(

also, from there you can check the Audio output of the system and make sure its not muted, etc.

5. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

doh!! didn't read the first time that you are running OS9.

my support ends here then.. :(

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's possible you may have broken some connector inside while removing the mini CD.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Is it possible you damaged the something other than the speakers?

I don't know much about the original iMacs but do they come with a Hardware tester CD?

This may sound stupid, but make sure the satelite speakers are plugged firmly into the sub. I know when I first set up my JBL creatures I didn't get the speaker plugged alway the way in and thought I had one bad speaker. Took me two times rechecking everything to catch it.

and thanks for the info about the mini cd's. I was always curious about that, but not brave enough to try.

8. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

If a wire is broken inside you could always get an iMic USB Audio Interface - Griffin ($35) from the apple store. It would probably be cheaper than getting it repaired --

9. bruceg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, the iMic was mentioned to be by several, so I may give that a try.