The Spanish GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, May 7, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Really late on this one... sorry. AmigoMac why ain't you saving my bacon? ;) :p

So then, Spain, 5th Round, Circuit de Catalunya...the scene of one of the most memorable images in F1 of Mansell and Senna wheel to wheel, down the main straight back in '91. :D

The big news of the weekend is of course BAR-Honda's exclusion from not only this weekends Spanish GP, but also the next race in Monaco for rule infractions at the San Marino GP last month.

Back to the task at hand, after qualifying 1 things are looking incredibly close between the top 3 cars, all separated by 0.024 of a second. :eek:

With Trulli doing an incredible job to hold off the homeboy Alonso for provisional pole position. Toyota certainly looking to be back on their pre Imola pace.

Kimi, had an incredible run, one which was somewhat compromised by having to go out early after his retirement at Imola. Had it not been for the smallest of small errors in turn 2, he'd be on provisional pole. He really looks to be pushing this season... and is really on the ragged edge. Great stuff. My bet for pole tomorrow. ;)

A couple of surprises though... Williams-BMW are looking by far and away the strongest they have been during the season so far. With quick Nick edging out Webber in 5th and 6th places respectively.

After the supernatural speed of the Ferrari at Imola, it's surprising to see them half a second off the pace, Schumacher really driving the wheels off the car on his lap. Barrichello again suffers the gremlins, this time his engine was changed meaning that he'll be taking the 10 grid place penalty. They're however on the harder of the Bridgestone compounds so they might come into play later in the race.

Red Bull and Sauber continue their battle, with DC edging Massa into 10th, after their Imola scrap (literally) should positions be maintained after 2nd qualifying then it could get really interesting. heheh

Anyway... predictions for final qualifying and the race.

Qualifying.

1. Räikkönen
    2. Alonso
    3. Trulli
    4. Schu jr.
    5. Webber
    6. Heidfeld
    7. Fisichella
    8. Schumacher

Race

1. Räikkönen
    2. Alonso
    3. Trulli
    4. Schu jr.
    5. Schumacher
    6. Fisichella
    7. Webber
    8. Heidfeld

Thoughts?

2. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Yeah I really wish Kimi wins tomorrow. Let's just hope that Mclaren can give him a car that lasts the whole race. Just wish they could give Pedro another shot at a race, JPM hasn't really impressed me this season, granted he's been out for most of it. We'll just have to wait and see.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

gonna be interesting if sauber is getting better again this time and

and if the normal mclaren drivers can do as good as their testdrivers

ferrari seems to have problems in qualifying this yea so far... i expect another schuhmacher racing from the back of the field...

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its so weird not seeing the reds dominate :( sigh

5. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

yeah but it makes watching the races worth watching again.. its just more fun watching shumi make his way up the field than just lead the entire time.

6. brap macrumors 68000

Missed the last one, which is a shame. I'll make sure I'm awake this time!

My hopes are with DC, as ever, and Reubens. It's been far too long since he outshone Michael, though it really doesn't seem likely on recent form :(

Really anticipating those fast Toyotas... as ever. They just look so damn cool.

From the depths I seem to remember Spain is one of Montoya's favourite races? Eitherway, I hope his little, uh, "hiatus" has given him a much-needed kick in the ass. Predictions? Hm. Fisi's an able guy, and after seeing his teammate go three-in-a-row, he'll be seriously wanting some limelight. He'll finish in the top two, barring craziness... There'll be a Ferrari up there, and probably a McLaren. Don't care which ;)

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Kimi's got pole.

I'm really surprised that Webber's nabbed 2nd from Alonso... although I'm expecting the fast starting Renault to nail him by the first corner. ;)

I also can't believe how much time Trulli dropped as well... a mistake maybe?

Schumacher's tanked up that's for sure. ;)

1. RAIKKONEN McLaren 2m31.421s
    2. WEBBER Williams 2m31.668s
    3. ALONSO Renault 2m31.691s
    4. R.SCHUMACHER Toyota 2m31.917s
    5. TRULLI Toyota 2m31.995s
    6. FISICHELLA Renault 2m32.830s
    7. MONTOYA McLaren 2m33.472s
    8. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 2m33.551s

Should be a good race if Alonso can keep Kimi honest... will be interesting to see if Schumacher can do another Imola. :D

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, this is looking like being another great race. I'm loving these mixed qualifying results, they always lead to very interesting first corners. ;)

I reckon I might have to stay up and watch this one. I just hope Webber keeps some of that pace for the actual race as opposed to just staying as a one-lap-wonder.

I'm expecting pretty big things from Michael this week too. He's been showing some okay pace over the weekend and I reckon he's got the potential to get a top result.

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

:D , Hi, I just arrived, Of course I'd like to write your column if possible but have been outside and now I'm going again! I'll take my chance next time (á la test-driver) :rolleyes:

I'm expecting a nice victory for Kimi and a good 3rd place for JPM I can see Alonso taking 2nd place, MS will have a long way to be 4th. Webber was really light on fuel.

I'll check the results maybe this evening or tomorrow early, let's see.

Edit: After the race: I had almost right, nice for Kimi, good for Alonso, fine for Trulli, and as for montoya... :rolleyes: ... and for Schumacher :eek: , almost 25% of the championship is gone and schumi with it. what a season!

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Kimi drove a superb race... go flat out for the first stint, destroy your competitors confidence, build up enough time for an extra pitstop advantage, then cruise to the win. Textbook. :)

It kind of confirms what I've been thinking for most of the season, with the exception of Imola, McLaren have had the best, most consistant race car, it's only been hampered by driver mistakes, it's qualifying performance and rare mechanical failure. Now that they've nailed the 1 lap performance, I suspect that we'll see Kimi reel in Alonso over the coming races. I think Renault have benefitted greatly from unusual circumstances and luck this season to be in the position they are, and I'm really not expecting them to be able to respond... much like how they faded during last season.

I'm very disappointed for Schumacher, he's really driving the wheels off that car at the moment... and the car or tyres keep letting him down. :( The car's fast, that there is no doubt... but it's too fragile, and the tyres simply aren't giving them the consistancy that we saw last season. It's difficult to see a way back for them this season... unless they can sort the one lap performance out then they're simply not going to be fighting for the wins, because starting 8th or lower is too much of a mountain to climb when overtaking is so difficult, but it's getting close to the point in the season when they'll need to consider writing off the season and focusing on 2006.

Can't say it was an especially good race though... the first poor race of the season when it came to overtaking and fighting for position that's for sure... and is it just me or is Fisi really getting the s**t end of the stick at the moment? makes you wonder if there was some truth in what Trulli was saying last season at Renault when he was whooping Alonso. :eek: :p :p

Anyway... on to the next. :D

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

what i found interesting is the 2nd driver discussion at red bull

with only 1 race for liuzzi to go before a new decision is made it looks more like Klien gonna make it... or do you thin kthat red bull will do another 3 races Klien/ 3 races liuzzi thin for Liuzii to gather more experience ?

he got lucky with the one point he got because of suspension of BAR in the last race ... so the whole thing gets interesting esepcially with then ext race being monte carlo

12. brap macrumors 68000

That whole thing's just crazy. How on earth can the team bosses expect to nurture a young talent if they lump even more presure on them.

Race was fairly dull, Kimi was outstanding though. It's about bloody time he lived up to some expectations! Fisi seems to be turning into Johnny Herbert, everything he touches turns to... well, the same thing, only broke! :rolleyes:
    Montoya... he just needs to remove his finger from his anal cavity. It's not like he doesn't have the car under him.

Still. Sticking with the belief that right now, it's a lottery as to whose car will pick up a puncture first... although the Bridgestone boys have a severe disadvantage in this sense. It's a hell of a shame seeing a driver of the calibre of Michael go out due to pissant regulations - OK Bernie, he won't win the championship this year, now give us our ***king racing back.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sigh. Who would've thought the races would still be so boring despite not having the Ferraris dominate. All I can say, is the Spanish Grand Prix was very unfulfilling. Note to Webber: I'm an Aussie and I need a good reason to watch F1. :(

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I forgot to watch the race yesterday. CBS showed it at 1PM (****ers!) and there won't be a replay on until at least (next) Monday (****ERS!). :mad:
    I guess I didn't miss much then...
    22 points from Rubens, 0 from Button (That's what I get for not paying attention :rolleyes: , 3 each from RBR and Cosworth, and 2 from Bridgestone. tied for 212th for the race, 225th (down 7) on the season. Ugh.)

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Bad Counterfit. *shakes head, whilst tut tut tutting* :p

Well, you missed a superb drive by Kimi, Alonso doing his customary brake testing of Schu jr, Fisi getting the s**t end of the stick a'la Trulli last season, Montoya spinning and spending most of the time in the pits, Schu blowing a rear tyre changing it and then suffering the front left blowing the lap after, Fisi and Webber (might have been Heidfeld, I forget) trying to do a Mansell and Senna down the main straight... and almost crashing. :p

You didn't however, miss lot's of overtaking or fighting for position. :(

I've just noticed how close my race prediction was to the result :D that's a f'in first :eek: :p

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Am I the only one who distinctively heard two shots, each fired just instants before MS flats?

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I thought I saw 2 puffs of smoke from the grassy knowl at turn 1 :eek: :p :p

Seems like all's not well in the Ferrari'stone camp. :rolleyes: :(

Rinky dink link