The Spartathalon - 152 mile race!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gauchogolfer, Sep 30, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

ESPN link:

Run from Athens to Sparta, about 152 miles:

So, who's ready to start training with me?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

32 miles is as far as I have ever run.

And it almost killed me.

No thanks. :)

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've only run one ultra but it was only an 80K (50 miler). It sounds absurd, but the ultras aren't as bad (sound knees and conditioning, of course included) as a marathon, since there's usually a slower overall pace. Winner in this ran at about an 8:41 mile pace.

4. bemylover macrumors regular

Just a simple ING NYC Marathon will be quite enough for me, thanks :)

To be honest, I don't get the whole point of utlras :confused:
    1. The "normal" marathon is big enough vhallenge to test oneself
    and
    2. It goes through "the wall". So there is no point in going further, nothings gonna happen there :)

5. iGary Guest

iGary

That's a great race - done two of them, and despite it being blazing hot and miserable, I still had a great time. I can't believe I made the lottery two years in a row.

Great, great race.

6. bemylover macrumors regular

wow, are you lucky :)

I lost lottery for this year and I really, really hope to win for the next one :eek: I don't live in NYC right now, so I can't do the 9 qualifying runs to get guaranteed entry; and to get there through charity organizations one has to pay $2000 :eek:

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The origin of this story is complete rubbish. Pheidippides allegedly ran from the Plain of Marathon to Athens, to bring the good news of victory against the Persians, not to Sparta to summon reinforcements. It's 26 miles from Marathon to Athens. The story wasn't recorded until 700 years later, so it's probably apocryphal anyway. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Browning probably writes about it, best:
    He only ran a 34.5Km (21.4 miler), and died on the spot. Must have gone out too fast. It happens every time. :D

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What a lightweight.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I did the AIDS Marathon Charity to get into my first - the Marine Corps.

Totally addictive. I miss it a lot - hope to get back into one of these days. A great way to test yourself and have a lot of fun. Keep trying - the race is totally worth it.

Chicago is awesome, too.

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Gary, were you ever able to recupe from the surgery, or is the back/knee thing still plaguing you? I understand the positive addiction, and just to be able to get out and move is reward enough.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

I've probably recovered as much as I can from the back surgery in September of last year. Problem is, I haven't been able to run in a year, and I'm back to square one, which is daunting *remembers first year of training.* My back gets stiff and sore every day, but it's not so bad I can't start jogging and biking again.

I've also had an at home desk job sitting on my ass for a year and gained 30 pounds.

Long story short, I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back out there slowly, lose some weight and build back up to where I was.

Everyone keeps telling me "Oh, you'll never run another marathon." (Doctors, physical therapists, my significant other.) I don't give up so easy. Marathoning is easily the most enjoyable thing I've ever done in my life and I miss it badly. I know if I get back down to 185, I'd have NO issues running 6-8 marathons a year again.

*eats pizza* :p

Sorry for the long rant. :eek:

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Okay, here's a motivation reminder for the runner in you :) That is all.

Attached Files:

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Best. Movie. Ever.

I can watch that one all day...

"He's gonna lead you down the path of righteousness; I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!"

15. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i read about the North Pole marathon in one of my dad's running magazines - you run in circles around the North Pole for 26.2 miles and then fly back to Norway. it costs something like $10,000.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

Saved for reminder. ;)