The Spider From Hell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Apr 16, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

2. CompUser Guest

No but it looks gross and scary. I hate spiders.

Ugh, 1:33 am and I cannot sleep. Too bad I have to wake up at 5:00am tomorrow, or do i mean today. I'm bored andy, I am bored.

3. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Yeesh. Are you zoomed in, or is it just frickin' enormous?

4. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

brown recluse?! It DOES look like one, I honestly don't like anything that moves on its own accord so I would get rid of it.

If you can't kill bugs (personal reasons) I'd get it away from me quick!

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would say it is probably not a brown recluse. A brown recluse has longer, skinner legs w/ a smaller body.
    200px-Brown_recluse.jpg
    Brown Recluse

Whatever it is though, get your largest boot and WHACK! That should take care of it.

6. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

ACK! EWW! YUCK!
    *runs from room crying in fear*
    Holy frack I HATE spiders!™

7. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Thats massive! Hope u got rid of it ok. I once had a massive one in my bedroom, it was black and furry.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Maybe this one is a tad overweight because it ate a small child?

9. big macrumors 65816

big

you really should try to take pics with a reference, like a dime et al.... its a wolf spider, very common

10. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Spiders freak me out. I agree - its a wolf spider. harmless but.... ick.

11. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

*shudders* Hate hate HATE spiders.... :eek:

The problem with getting a reference (i.e. dime) is that you may not be willing to get close enough (or it may be too harmful depending on the spider) to get the reference. With a big spider there's no way I'm going to get close enough for it to get withing jumping range of me. In those situations I'll have the hairspray that can take paint off walls out and I'll be spraying it like a mad woman from a safe comfortable distance. :D Maybe after it can no longer move will I even venture to try to get a reference (again, assuming I'm sane enough at that point to think it's safe)....

12. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Poor guy, he probably just wants to watch some cable. And why is there no love for spiders? They eat flies, gnats, and all sorts of other "bugs." But seriously, apart from camping w/o a tent you generally aren't going to get with in 20 feet of a spider unless YOU choose to get that close to one.

Consider this. Would you walk up to a creature 45,000 times your size and see what it wants?

13. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Uh, I've had plenty of spiders crawl towards me of their own accord. The last one crawled within three feet of me (before I noticed it) and it was doing all the moving--not me (was just sitting in a chair). My sister even had one come down on its web right in front of her face once while she was driving. Talk about freaking out....

As long as the spider isn't invading my space then it can live its happy life, but any spider that comes into my home is considered a trespasser and will be dealt with accordingly.

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I heard once that our fear of these tiny spiders are in our collective consciousness because not long after we came out of the primordial soup, spiders would prey on us. Believe it or not ;)

As for eating flies, gnats and bugs - that's why we have a bats! Each bat eats thousands of gnats an hour!

15. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I know. It makes no sense at all. I can't explain. It's not that I think all spiders have some kind of malicious intent, I'm just terrified of multi-legged bugs. Esspecially big hairy spiders, esspecially when I find them in my house. Those fracking wood spiders seem to be reproducing like crazy in my basement. I have no idea why but bugs terrify the hell out of me.

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

and bats are worse than spiders. they sh*t all over the place, spread rabies and bacterial diseases.

no thanks, i'd rather have a spider around. although i prefer a centipede. they eat just about everything including spiders. unfortunately they don't eat bats.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One time last year, I was driving at night, and of course it was dark. I had driven for around 90 minutes already, and all of a sudden, I hear a clackity-clack sound. Lots of little sounds. I look to my right (I'm in Oz, not in Canada, America, Taiwan, Europe, etc), and saw a huntsman spider (they're big....small bodies, but long legs and can be the size of a 10 year old child's hand.....:eek: ) crawling up my window right besid emy head!!! I had my window partially open, so I quickly closed my window. Close call.

Problem #2: Because it was crawling on glass right beside my head and I was driving and had to look forward, I really couldn't tell whether it was crawling up the window inside my car, or outside!!! Did I just lock that mofo inside? It was right beside my head and crawling very fast!! :(

Anyway, I swerved in the middle of rush hour on one of the busiest streets leading into Sydney. I wasn't hurt, but I really could have been. I found out it was outside my car when it finally climbed onto the roof.

How the hell did it stay on my car for so long!! I was driving around 75-80 mph on the highway for like 45 minutes!!! :eek:

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope to never see a centipede in my life, and definitely not a millipede. Two of the scariest critters of them all. :(

19. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

from batconcervation.org:

I'll take bats. NOT in my house though. Just in the neighborhood.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hate Huntsmans. And they get bigger than that, I had one in my stairwell that had a little fatal run in with my shoe and half a can of Mortein that was easily as big as my hand and I can reach a 10th on a piano at full stretch (ie normal, maybe bigger than normal sized 23 year old hands).

Big, scary, spindly, not deadly but they hurt when they do bite, little buggers.

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

spider: "Soooo...where we going???"

22. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Let's be real here for a moment, though. If they did eat bats, would you still be that happy to have them around? I mean, think about how large that could make them! Now it's got me thinking about the giant bugs in the new King Kong movie.

23. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

All this talk of centipedes just makes me cringe and think of this thread.... Ewwww! *shudders*

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Oops, i didn't think of that........:eek:

i thought more of the funny little harmless centipedes that we have here in New England.