The stork was in Memphis at 4:31...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iGary, Jul 14, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Mackenzie, the Dual 2.7 G5 will be officially delivered this morning. :D

I'll shutup about this eventually...until then bear with me. :rolleyes:

2. osiris315 macrumors member

osiris315

I'm with you on this iGary. My Dual 2.3 turned up last night!

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Congrats!

Funny thing; today is my last day at work and my publisher is coming to our office. I know he is going to ask if the computer is his and why I'm taking it with me.

"No, Jack, that's my $3500 cardboard box, your's are in the art room"

It's gonna be a late night tonight.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You do realise that we're all going to feel very, very let down if you don't post a pic or two when you've got it all set up. ;)

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm leaving work two hours early to get to work on it. Have to stop by Home Depot for lots of cable ties and cable tie mounts, though. :D

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

A nicely appropriate 'tar you have affected for the new arrival, iGary.
    Weren't you also considering getting a nice new desk to go with your new baby? Not that the current set-up is tough to take, but those dual monitors might not leave enough room for the laptop stand and all those iPod docks.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not to mention the 1TB external - she's pretty big that one....

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

The damn desk won't fit. The new displays actually leave more room, but I'm going to IKEA on Saturday to check out my options. It'll be crowded and tight in my little den office for a couple of months until I get my own office space. :rolleyes:

I'll just be glad to get it. Pulling the trigger on 5 grand worth of (albeit write-offable) stuff gave me a coronary (third single biggest purchase in my life next to my condo and car), but I actually slept for the first time in three days last night. :eek:

Just looking forward to my last day, and getting out of here. Been at this joint too long.

I did pull the cinemas out last night and double them up. Sweet is all I can say. I'd definitely recommend this route over a cingle 23".

Mackenzie is currently in Crofton, MD about 15 minutes from here. :D

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think you should try stacking the displays on top of each other. It'll save you heaps of space but it might take some time to get the balance right.

So is Mackenzie going to be a Bastille baby? I always get confused with the different time zones. Also, should it be spelt MacKenzie? or even Mac Kenzie? ;)

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

It's great to see someone so excited about their computer. Makes me want to buy a new one! :p

PICS PICS PICS!

11. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Mackenzie is on her way from Crofton - on the truck. :)

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Hrmmm maybe I SHOULD split the name...:D

13. Switzermac macrumors regular

Is your bosses computer that one which got fried by a surge?

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, but it ended up not being a surge.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Your waiting is almost over...
    Enjoy your spiffy setup iGary.

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hey, congratulations iGary

Will your new baby wake you up at 3:00 in the morning demanding to be fed CD-Rs? :D

You've go the UPS all charged and ready to go, yes?

Don't let your enthusiasm get the better of you -- boot the machine and run it STOCK for a while before you add the goodies, just to verify it's 100% good; not that I'm telling you anything you didn't already know though ;)

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

18. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

19. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Since you have started about 3 threads on this one subject :)eek: ;)), I am going to say one thing and one thing only..."Pictures dammit!!!" :rolleyes:

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You got me again iGary. I was questioning the title, but wasn't sure. Certainly would call the arrival of a dual 2.7 G5 a blessed event. Will be anxious to hear how the actual arrival turns out. :D

21. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Leaving in 40 minutes to take her home.

Busy night. I sold my old system and have to get it wiped and cleared off, too.

Hopefully I'll have pics soon. :D

Thanks to everyone for putting up with me. I've been dreaming of a system like this since I was 13. :D

22. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Damnit, Crucial and OWC messed my orders up. Have to change my sig for a while. :rolleyes:

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This thread has made me realize how loud my biological erm... technological clock is ticking! :eek: I'm not a spring chicken anymore, you know! :eek: ;) :D

Gary, I hope this new addition to your family brings you and your partner many years of happiness. Cherish those moments, from its first teetering boot-up, to the day when it runs PS/CS faster than it's old man ever could, till the day when, running Leopard, it starts to teach you some tricks you never even thought of. Each of those moments is a precious diamond, which may seem only uncut and unpolished today, but will sparkle for many years to come.

:D

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

hi osiris,

how is the 2.3? i'm looking at one 200 times a day at the online store. your setup is pretty much what i'm looking for.

except the GPU. why did you choose a so powerful GPU?

is it needed for gaming only or does it make sense for PS, surfing, imovie, iphoto and such stuff as well?

p.s.: what monitor are you using?

25. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Thanks, mkrishnan!

Just got my old system packed up and ready to give to the new owner tomorrow and just fired up the new G5 and the monitors.

No dead or stuck pixels in the monitors, they are absolutlely beautiful as is the machine. Just ran an Xbench of 270 on 1GB of RAM, waiting for the other 3GB to get here.

Love the wireless keyboard, the wirelss mouse is not as sensitive as I would like it to be, but I'll get used to it.

Booted up fine, no problems.

I love it.