Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just shot gunned the first 3 episodes. This is good, if you don't mind another "vampire type" story. I like the way it's filmed, what looks like NYC locations (filmed in Toronto and Ontario), the lead actors, and the pace of the story. This is a cut above the last FX show I watched, Helix, mprobably because Gillermo del Toro is involved. I will continue! :)

the-strain-hed-2014.png

Last edited:

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I am enjoying this series for what it is... a B-movie quality campy work which is leisurely horrifying. :D

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Surprisingly not the most violent show on TV. I do like the suspense throughout the first 4 episodes so far.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Nazi angle and flashbacks are adding a lot to this show. Not the first monster/occult story (movie or game) to use Nazis as I think of Wolfenstein, Hellboy, and Indiana Jones.

Do we have renegade good vampires or something else? :)

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The Nazi angle and flashbacks are adding a lot to this show. Not the first monster/occult story (movie or game) to use Nazis as I think of Wolfenstein, Hellboy, and Indiana Jones.

Do we have renegade good vampires or something else? :)

I am curious, since the breakout is expanding, where are they going to take this show. It almost seems like there is no way to control it now. With the exception of killing the master of course.

Does anybody know if this is a single season or if they plan on making more season?

Oh the taxi driver killed me in the last episode........

I also like the Nazi flashbacks. Now I am curious as to who the men in black are!!

I have the graphic novel, just haven't had time to read it, so I can't compare the two. Yet.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm just getting near the end of the second of three books for this series. I'd say it'll run three seasons. I don't want to do any spoilers but last weekends episode took less than a handful of pages in the books. I can see how they would drag it out further. What I don't understand is why they deviate from the written version so much if the writers are making the show.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am curious, since the breakout is expanding, where are they going to take this show. It almost seems like there is no way to control it now. With the exception of killing the master of course.

Does anybody know if this is a single season or if they plan on making more season?

Oh the taxi driver killed me in the last episode........

I also like the Nazi flashbacks. Now I am curious as to who the men in black are!!

I have the graphic novel, just haven't had time to read it, so I can't compare the two. Yet.

Yeah, me too, lol. :)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Oh, cool thank you! Going to be interesting to see if this spreads outside of NY or if they will keep in contained!

The promos (including the Super Bowl commercial) had a tagline along the lines of "First, New York will be gone. Then the world." So there's a very high chance this won't be contained; not that they even stand a chance.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I am enjoying this show much more than I anticipated. I look forward each week to seeing how they are advancing the plot and developing the characters.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The promos (including the Super Bowl commercial) had a tagline along the lines of "First, New York will be gone. Then the world." So there's a very high chance this won't be contained; not that they even stand a chance.

Ahhh gotcha. Cool, so we may see more of this outbreak.

I am enjoying this show much more than I anticipated. I look forward each week to seeing how they are advancing the plot and developing the characters.

You and me both. I digging the show. It is moving at a pretty quick pace too!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, it's another vampire story, but I like this variation. :) The autopsy scene was gruesome. It's interesting the difference between the new "let the ugly hang out, feed me" and the sophisticated "hide behind the curtain" type like Thomas Eichorst. I wonder if there are different classes of vampires in this? If their uncontrolled nature is by virtue of being new?

If I was turned into a vampire (against my will of course) ;) the Twilight version would be much better, lol. :)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Can I assume you'd prefer to have the mangy, bloodshot eyes, ghoulish look? :p Remember, my premise was no choice. :D

The vampires presented in The Strain are very interesting in how they differ from other vampire legends and lore. Like you mentioned I haven't quite figured it out yet as there is obviously a difference between how the newly turned are acting and how the German acts. Early on they seemed to postulate some kind of division between those who were "survivors" from the plane and those who weren't, but from what we are seeing they look the same to me (mindless and bloodthirsty).

I like Bram Stokers original version and I enjoy how Anne Rice built on that basic foundation. As a youth I played role-playing games and it was fun to see how the game Vampire The Masquerade divided vampires into different clans with different characteristics and abilities. In my opinion the only thing Twilight vampires have going for them is the fact that they are day-walkers. The whole sparkly and solid on the inside thing just seems weird to me. I think TrueBlood is fun and I like the Marvel character of Blade. Overall, I enjoy vampire mythology and it's fun to see how different writers tweak things and make it their own.

Reactions: Huntn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Since this is a *spoiler* zone I’m assuming it’s OK to discuss this (not book related, that’s still a no-no for those of us who haven’t ready them :) )...

So the vamp commandos at the end of the last EP almost looked like an entirely different species, not only because of their sentience, but they had more of a “classic” Nosferatu appearance (they appeared to have fangs[?]). The leader also said something like [in reference to the housekeepers kid] “she’s been soiled/fouled”, like the other vampires are some kind of offshoot/mutation.

That was a terrific WTF moment, this show has really stepped it up the last few episodes.

rymack

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I am loving this show. Also, Kevin Durand (Vasily Fett, the rat exterminator) is from my hometown, which is cool!

I have read all three books. Just wait....

:D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The vampires presented in The Strain are very interesting in how they differ from other vampire legends and lore. Like you mentioned I haven't quite figured it out yet as there is obviously a difference between how the newly turned are acting and how the German acts. Early on they seemed to postulate some kind of division between those who were "survivors" from the plane and those who weren't, but from what we are seeing they look the same to me (mindless and bloodthirsty).

I like Bram Stokers original version and I enjoy how Anne Rice built on that basic foundation. As a youth I played role-playing games and it was fun to see how the game Vampire The Masquerade divided vampires into different clans with different characteristics and abilities. In my opinion the only thing Twilight vampires have going for them is the fact that they are day-walkers. The whole sparkly and solid on the inside thing just seems weird to me. I think TrueBlood is fun and I like the Marvel character of Blade. Overall, I enjoy vampire mythology and it's fun to see how different writers tweak things and make it their own.

The amazing thing for me is the transition of the vampire from sociopath monster to super hero as they are in Twilight. The original Dracula is is an amazing story considering it was written at the turn of the 20th century. Although he was not the first to write of vampires (I don't think) his portrait of Dracula is indelible. I love the early Ann Rice, Interview with a Vampire. She produced the first regretful, somewhat moral vampire. And The Vampire Lestat was also good, although her later writings went off the rails.

Since this is a *spoiler* zone I’m assuming it’s OK to discuss this (not book related, that’s still a no-no for those of us who haven’t ready them :) )...

So the vamp commandos at the end of the last EP almost looked like an entirely different species, not only because of their sentience, but they had more of a “classic” Nosferatu appearance (they appeared to have fangs[?]). The leader also said something like [in reference to the housekeepers kid] “she’s been soiled/fouled”, like the other vampires are some kind of offshoot/mutation.

That was a terrific WTF moment, this show has really stepped it up the last few episodes.

I agree. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.