The Streets lead Ivor nominations

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Apr 11, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I simply cannot emphasise just how tragically crap The Streets are, both musically and lyrically.

They're so unbelievably crap that I honestly though they were some sort of pi$$ take of a pi$$ take.

Rinky dink link

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I've gotten in a few arguements over this before, and I just like to say that the Strees are TERRIBLE. Words can not describe that crap that they spew.

4. tombo macrumors member

I'm with BV

I like The Streets, I love both albums.

It's very UK, so it seems that many of our friends from the US don't 'get it.' But having said that, most people in the UK are split too :)
    - bit like Marmite, perhaps..?

I think the nomination for 'Dry Your Eyes Mate' is pretty weak. It's the song that's had the most airplay of all of Mike Skinner's songs, yet it's the most atypical of his style. I hope Keane win against that song.

But I hope he wins the other one. The Streets are a fabulous example of the brilliant and diverse music we have here.

5. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I thought "Fit but don't ya know it" is their/best one - good to see the record industry not just going for the same old bricks in the wall... :p

6. brap macrumors 68000

*retch*

Still... makes a change from Dildo giving the music press erections. If I'm to listen to crappy contemporary (ish) music, I'd go for Audio Bullys :eek:

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I like The Streets

Maybe it is because i live in america and stuff like The Streets never gets any play here so it doesnt get old.

I liked both of the albums and the lyrics are very good when compared to the crap that most other rappers spew.

Dizzie Rascal, Madvillian, and MF Doom are also pretty good.

8. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

I find Skinner entertaining and talented and I felt that A Grand Don't Come For Free was a great concept album. As an American though, it's hard to see any of those songs being singles...?

On another note, I noticed Eric Prydz also got a nomination. Wicked.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh good, I like the Streets.

However, these awards seem crap. I mean, How can the "Best Song Musically and Lyrically" not also be nominated for "Best Contemporary Song"???

And some of the nominations are bad as well. I hope Skinner isn't grouped alongside these guys. He's more talented than them.

However, I can see why people don't like him.

10. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I'm with you iGav. I can't believe the hype that they receive considering just how inanely dreadful they are. I'm afraid that the Steets boat left me on the shore with a puzzled look on my face, waving forlornly.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, not a fan here either. Then again I still can't believe Dizzy Rascal won the Mercury Music prize (he did, didn't he?) :eek: :rolleyes:

12. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I take it that the Ivors are similar to the Grammys over here?

If so, then it would be no surprise that the nominees suck. I've watched the Grammys once in the last 20 years because there's never anyone on that I want to see perform or honored.

I think that 95% of the time, whoever is being ultra-marketed will get the awards. It's up to you to search for music that doesn't suck.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, not similar to the Grammys.

The Ivor Novello awards are "awarded each year by the record industry to song writers and arrangers rather than the performing artistes. (Wikipedia)

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Exacly how I feel, when I was 'blessed' with catching one of their videos on MTV2 I was absolutely certain that it was some kind of pi$$ take until it slowly dawned that they weren't actually being ironic. :eek:

Definitely worthy of an Ivor Novello award for lyrics :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Beyond crap.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A good friend of mine is a totally music aficionado, and somehow he fell in love with The Streets. I got "Fit But You Know It" and it took me at LEAST 10 times through before I started to enjoy it. Partially because my American ear doesn't deal well with the accent (cockney?), partially because it's really stupid. Eventually I was OK with the song, but then I got "Don't Mug Yourself" and as a former electronica fan, this rated as complete crap to me. So thus ended my interest in The Streets. I fear what doors to talentless jackasses this will open..

16. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Yes, the lyrics are crap.

Yes, the songs are garbage.

But, it does have a bit of a vibe to it.

I dig it.

Yo.