The stupid postal service...

Discussion in 'Community' started by QCassidy352, Sep 2, 2005.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Seems to have lost my G5!! :( :mad:

I sent it down from Boston to DC 2 weeks ago, Parcel Post, trying to save about $20 over priority. Big mistake. It was supposed to take a week to get here, and it's still not here. I have insurance on it, but not tracking; another mistake. If it doesn't arrive, how will I be able to even prove the value of what was in there??

That's what you get for trusting the government... I REALLY hope it's not lost!!

2. AaronHeth macrumors member

Wow. Thats not fun at all. I always seem to have bad experience with the postal service (or any delivery service, for that matter). Wish you the best with that.

3. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Long story short. I was shipping an empty Powerbook box from MN to TN and the USPS sent it back to MN half way because they thought it was suspicious. Funny how it came to me opened and bent and what not. It got all the way to Atlanta then was shipped back. I got it after 2 weeks.

I hope you get your G5.

4. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i just moved out to illinois for college, and my parents and grandma sent me some checks from detroit about 2 weeks ago, they should only take about 2 or 3 days to get here, but no, they are missing yet i still receive my bill from comcast :confused:

5. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, scary story. Thankfully, this box is not marked as containing a computer in any way. But the thought of some employee seeing the high insurance value and deciding to open it and see what was worth so much had definitely occurred to me.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hope you get your computer... a few words of advice for the future:

1. The less time the item spends in transit, the better.
    2. Don't cheap out when sending something valuable. If I was sending something more than $200 in value, I'd have insurance AND tracking on it, and I'd send it the quickest way possible.
    3. Don't label the box with what's inside, or allow anything to show that would indicate what's inside. The original G5 box should not be showing. Get another, bigger box and use it to hide the contents (it also provides better protection for your original box).

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I try not to send anything of value through the postal service..I usually use FedEx. I hope that all turns out well for you.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So insurance covers the entire cost of the PM G5, right? I mean, you did tell them what was inside, correct? It sounds like you may not have, and so insurance would definitely not cover it, even if you had insurance on it. Not an expert on American postal service, but I think they'd want to know what they were covering beforehand.

9. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

That sucks man. Best of luck. Have you called anyone yet?

I'm really just here to make sure no one is dissing on the band "Postal Service" who I happen to currently be listening to ;)

10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yes, the insurance is for the whole cost of the G5, but the packaging does not label the contents as such. i.e. It just looks like a brown box, but I told them what was in it when I shipped it.

I called them on friday, but with only insurance and no tracking, they coudldn't tell me anything. I still think it will probably arrive, as USPS isn't really that bad (my brother had an ebay-based business and shipped thousands of items over the last year, and only ONE got lost, all sent USPS). But I'll definitely be holdling my breath until it does get here.

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

According to the Post office website:

12. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

G5 Finally arrives - BEAT TO HELL

update to this story: after going down to the post office, talking to supervisors, etc., they track my package and lo and behold - there's no record of it since it left Boston.

Fast foward to today - it finally shows up. The G5 is inside - but beat to hell. I mean, the outer case is falling apart, literally. I've never seen a G5 look like this. It can't even stand up straight. (I'll post pics when I can) It appears to be fully functional, however.

Now, I had $1000 insurance on this. Do I have any recourse with the post office? And whether or not they pay up, can I get a new "shell" to put this in??

Thanks!

13. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Thanks. How about the issue of actually replacing the case? I'm actually more worried about that because the computer is functional, and I'm not going to try to claim the full insurance value. But if I can't actually get a clean case at all, I'm going to be upset.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I have "lost" a ton of stuff through the mail...eventually it shows up...it always does...at least almost always...

I've even filled out the insurance claims, got the insurance money...spent the insurance money...and then, low and behold my items arrive three months late...

So, I know it's not much of a comfort, but 95% chance that it will arrive late.

:eek:

15. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Thanks for the encouragement, but did you read to the end of the thread? ;) It came today, but is badly smashed up, externally.

So can anyone answer the question - is it possible to replace the entire aluminum case of a powermac G5? Is it easy to do?

16. roadapple macrumors regular

Did they stamp "fragile" in red letters on the outside of the box when you dropped it off? I hear that will usually prevents this type of damage.

Seriously through, be sure to claim you packed it well when you make your claim, parcel post can be a pretty rough way to ship.

17. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, they did put on the "fragile stickers." Yippe. :rolleyes:

They want me to actually bring the G5, the box, and all of the packing materials back in to the post office to evaluate my claim. Great.

And it was actually packed extremely well; that thing was not moving at all when I gave it to them.

So how about that new case? Can I just move all of the components in to a new case and be good to go? That's one advantage of a tower, right?

18. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I recommend that you get a printed estimate from your local Apple Store or other Apple certified repair center for the total cost of case replacement / transplant. Take that with you when you visit the post office for the insurance / damage assessment. The estimate you get will most likely be around $700 for parts and labor.

There may even be additional damage that's not visible from the outside, for example if there's a fine crack in one of the PCBs or the thermal paste between the processor(s) and heatsink has been worked loose.

Good luck on getting this resolved.

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

UPS isn't much better.

I had 4 wheels with tires mounted sent to Minnesota from Indiana. 3 of them got to my door, 1 was lost, and showed up in California near LA! I had to wait 2 weeks before they would send it to me, even though I paid for 2nd day delivery for ALL of them.

The vendor I bought the tires from sent me the 4th directly from their shop and had UPS send the lost wheel back to them.

Now on to FedEX

For Fedex to send a package from Apple's Shipping department in California, there is no such thing as 2nd Day Air to the Minneapolis area. What actually happens is, the parcel is Air mailed (overnight) to the Minneapolis Distribution center, were they hold the package for one additional day, as opposed to delivering it you you.

I am unsure how it makes more money for them to warehouse an item for 1 day (Transport to storage from the distro center, transport BACK the distro center, and then placed onto a truck) so they can deliver your item the following day to make it "on time". Why not exceed expectations and deliver it a day early? They are so backwards, you pay less for them to do MORE work. I guess customer service is NOT their game. This has happened to me 2 times now, Once when I bought my G5, and now with my Nano.

From now on when I do an Apple direct purchase, I will request an other shipping provider, even if it costs me more money!

I have actually had awesome luck with USPS compared to the other two listed in my post.

20. California macrumors 68040

California

My postal carrier "dropped" an old iMac g3 on the curb. Busted to heck. Got it fixed at a local Apple tech who happened to have a Graphite g3 case and the apple CRT machine worked after such a big crash. Hassle in taking the whole packing box and broken plastic to Post office; am expecting a check from them for total cost. We'll see.

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sad :(

Glad to hear you were able to fix it, I hate Mac Deaths!

22. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, that's going to be the big problem for me. I have to get it to the post office, and I no longer have a car...

They say they want to see how it was packed, etc. This whole thing is very frustrating...

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

24. apple2991 macrumors 6502

First they release derivative indie synth-pop albums and now this?

Unacceptable!