The Stupidity Poll: Jack Thompson vs Paul Thurrott

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GFLPraxis, Jan 11, 2006.

Who is the stupidest and most obnoxious?

1. Jack Thompson

2. Paul Thurrott

3. Other- will post in thread

4. Neither- they are both highly intelligent individuals.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    We all know them. One is considered the most insane lawyer who ever lived. The other is considered the most biased journalist who ever lived (though this position is threatened sometimes by Dvorak and others).

This thread is a stupidity contest. Between our two contestants, Jack Thompson and Paul Thurrott, which is stupider? Which is more obnoxious? Which is more annoying? Which is more biased?

Jack Thompson quotes:

(after being informed that when the blur is removed, the Sims are like ken and barbie and have no genitalia: )
    Video gamers are in the same category as the KKK?

Few comments added because Jack's comments speak for themselves, while Paul's stupidity is vieled under seeming rationality.

Jack Thompson's email exchanges though must truly be read to comperehend his sheer stupidity.

The man is incapable of defending his arguements or even keeping a conversation without resulting to personal insults.

Paul Thurrott quotes:

Wait, so more holes makes Windows XP excellent?

Worst comparison ever- he's comparing a console with a stripped down, high-clocked PPE to a desktop system with a full G5 processor, hard drive, gigabit ethernet, a full array of ports, etc's not a valid comparison, in fact neither system are remotely similar, and further, this is a year before the 360's release.

note that the GameCube is more powerful than the PS2, the XBox's marketshare is only 2% higher (a 'drubbing'?), Microsoft's profits were negative, and Nintendo had the highest profits of any of the three company's games divisions (yes, they beat Sony in cash earned).

The PSP has yet to hit 7 million units sold, let alone a hundred million- compared to the DS's 13 million and GBA SP's 70 or so million, this is hardly the most popular portable game player ever made. Talk about exagguration.

Please post any other nominees for Stupid People, as well as any other idiotic comments you find from the above people, in this thread :)
  2. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    I said 'Other' and the 'Other' is...

And I was first to vote - woohoo! That makes me better than all of you. I am the original 'King of the World' not that lame Titanic guy. And I rock. I rock so much that I am better than Mt. Rushmore. In fact I am so cool I make polar bears shiver. I am also sexy - I'm so sexy I make the new MacBook Pro look like a Dell. And I am great in bed - I don't have to be told this, I just know I am. And boy am I smart - I am so smart I don't need any Apple version of Excel, I can calculate everything in my head.

See now why I voted for my self….
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Who? Not which...

I hadn't heard of Jack Thompson before but I still think Paul outdoes him. :D
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    No, Jack is approximately 50.863x the idiot Paul is. Paul can at least sometimes commend OS X/Apple for something. I mean, he at least cares about what formats the iPod plays (even if he does claim that WMA is "superior" than AAC). jack, on the other hand, won't admit that he's wrong (because God's On His Side™), and even reneged on his offer to donate $10,000 to a charity of Paul Eibler's choice if someone made a specific game, which a group did.
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

He's beyond stupid, he abso-****ing-lutely NUTS! If he wasn't from Floriduh, I'd be amazed he hadn't been debarred yet.
  5. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Thurrot says a lot of stupid things, but he's not even in the same league as Jack Thompson.

Thomson is not just stupid... to me he seems utterly insane... dangerous, even. I whouldn't want to be in the same room as him.
  6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
  7. heaven macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    I agree, they both are. Period.
  8. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
  10. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I thought briefly they were talking about the Aussie actor with the voice that everyone here can recognise. I was about to tear them a new arsehole until I read further and found out it was this psycho god-squad lawyer guy.
  11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Of course, the best thing about that whole $10,000 donation is that while he didn't cough up the dough, the guys over at Penny-Arcade did.

As mentioned, at least Paul Thurrott sometimes gives Apple due credit, and he has a reason to be such a... well... you know. I mean, he's probably on Microsoft's payroll. What's Jack Thompson's excuse? He lumps all gamers in the same category... the sims? Come on, someone's grasping for straws here.
  12. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, the big difference here is that Jack Thompson is simply phsychotic. He's uninformed, refuses to listen, and when told puts his fingers in his ears and chants "la la la I can't hear you!" or "Ha, the fact that you gamers are trying to argue with me proves I'm right!" It's usually simply his opinion that is outrageous.

Paul Thurrott, on the other hand, is well informed. He actually has information. He actually knows things. And yet, somehow, he is STILL able to make these ridiculous statements that can be disproven with five minutes of research.

So who is stupider? The one who refuses to learn, or the one that learns and still doesn't understand?

The poll is, which is stupider. They're both very, very stupid :)
  13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    What about Steve Ballmer? He's easily as stupid as Thurrot and as obnoxious as Thompson.