Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I want protection, easy transport, a stand, and a keyboard. I don't want to pay $70+ for a Zaggmate. So my idea is to get an iPad "sleeve" / netbook case, with a little extra room for wall charger & accessories - the latter being a bluetooth keyboard and a business card holder (which I've heard makes a pretty solid iPad stand).

Let's assume the business card holder price is negligible. I haven't settled on a specific case, but from preliminary searching I think I'm looking at paying $15 tops for a perfectly nice one.

That leaves the keyboard. Now, I know just this morning someone started a thread asking about cheap iPad keyboards. So I thought about just hopping on that thread. But I do have a question that goes beyond the scope of that thread. Namely, how do you rate my whole plan? Can I get a good bluetooth keyboard (small, durable, comfortable) for significantly less than $50? Or will I inevitably be paying close enough to the price of a Zaggmate that I might as well spring for the real deal?

I do notice that there are a lot of generic cheap keyboard cases on eBay, but I'm really leery of them. If anyone has personal experience with those though, and can vouch for them, I'd definitely consider that too.

Thanks!

KrisEagling

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
London, UK
Personally I'd just spring for the zaggmate. It's a lot less hassle than trying to source all the different parts, and I think you'd struggle to find a Bluetooth keyboard for less than $50 that won't fall apart the moment you look at it. Over here in the UK I think you'd struggle to find a bt keyboard for £50, well a decent one anyway.

And zagg have a good name, and have great customer service should anything happen to the case.

Just my thoughts :)
Kris

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I'd be surprised if you couldn't go with your plan and save a bit of money, but I think the Zaggmate is a more elegant solution and you know what you're getting.

Another advantage with the Zaggmate, is that the keyboard is protected when you're on the move.

In the UK, it is possible to pick up a nice looking BT keyboard for around £25 - but there's not normally that much feedback online (one way or another) about them, although from what I have read, I would take a punt myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.