The Summer 2004 diet thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Feb 18, 2004.

1. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i don't need to diet...yet

but i would like to work out more.

its crazy how getting in better shape physically is like 90% mental. it really is easy to get in shape, to eat better, lose wait gain muscle...whatever your goal is...all you have to do is...well do it! but thats were the trouble starts :)

i've found that the longer i'm in a routine the better i keep to it...but then if i slack off even 1 day it collaspes..and the reverse is in effect...the longer i slack the longer i slack.

so just give yourself no choice, your going to work out your not going to do its apart of your job or something really important. it should help out quite a bit
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    try increasing excercise and just eat more controlled and make conscious choices

thats what i do, im not a hard body or anything but it works for me
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    im trying to drop soda from my diet but these darn caffinee headaches always turn into migraines for me and blah, i just decided to start doing situps and pushups for the summer - as much as i can in a day, and i decided to cut down on my pizza intake and bad foods in general instead im focusing on the "healthier" foods LoL

good luck all!
  4. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    Heck yeah,

I have been "dieting" for about 2 years. Since I will be moving to within biking distance of my job I plan to peddle those 50 pounds off. That and cutting back on fat, sugar, carbs and portions should do the trick. ;)
  5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    I am overweight (see my av ;)), but I don't believe in dieting. Exercise is good. Eating less is good. Eating better is good. But all three at once? That would put me in shock. I would rebel and it would be pointless.

My main focus is on training myself to eat less, not necessarily to eat better because I hate low-fat, low-taste food. I'm finally seeing a significant reduction in my appetite. But it's still hard because I eat when I'm bored and once I start to eat, it's hard to stop because I like food so much. But I'm working on it, trying to recognize that my impulses to eat are often not even related to hunger anymore. Progress is being made. I'll never be svelte, but as long as I can stop the expansion I'll be happy.

Can you tell I get addicted to things easily? :D
  6. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: The Summer 2004 diet thread.

losing 20 lbs. would be perfect, but what would be better is keeping it off

when the weather gets cold and winter sets in with the holidays, the weight seems to come back on

before i was 28, my weight never fluctuated more than five pounds no matter how much i ate
  7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    a couple things i've found as i've lost weight over the years... nothing drastic but for losing the excess i don't think you have to do much drastically unless 1. you have NO will power. or 2. you have a medical condition that keeps you heavy..

basically i

drink lots of water (especially instead of soda)
    don't eat before dinner
    don't eat beyond being full

i happen to be a vegetarian and wanna be vegan, so a lot of the fat from meats and cheeses and such aren't there... so i guess that helps

also, taking things one meal/hunger stage at a time is all it takes... are you hungry? do you crave ice cream? well quickly eat something healthier... you'll suddenly not be hungry, and most likely no longer craving..

just my 2 cents.
  8. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    They key to losing weight is to start eating foods which have low amounts of simple sugars or foods with lots of fiber and/or protein. This means that while eating potatos and bread are bad (simple sugars which get turned into fat easily), eating an apple or other fruits is good (yes it has simple sugars, but the fiber fills you up faster). Low fat, high protein foods like tuna and chicken breast are great too. Soft drinks are the worst because they are ALL sugar and contain nothing else (except for some flavoring and carbonic acid). They don't make you feel full and you'll keep eating and eating, which'll just make you fatter.

If you just replace soft drinks with water and fruits and eat more lean meat, you'll start losing weight from that alone. Also, you can have bread and potatos, but only if it's for breakfast or lunch, because after dinner, your body stores more of the sugars than earlier in the day.

BTW, you don't need to work out 5 days a week, it is excessive and you'll just give up after a while because it's too time-intensive. It'll probably be better if you worked out for about 1hour 3 times a week and concentrated on strengthening large muscles on your back and legs followed by a quick 20-30min walk or jog. The increased muscle mass will mean that you'll burn off more fat when you're not working out and the jogging will push that process along. You'll lose a lot of fat this way. Depending on how overweight you are, you might even get a six pack with some weight training :D
  9. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Glad to hear that the diet works for you Jello. Truth be told, limiting eating to 3 times a day actually teaches your body to store food as fat because it keeps thinking that you'll be starved for 4 hours at a time. A better way is to have healthy snacks like carrots or celery halfway between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner. That way, your body is constantly burning up your fat reserves. Still, vegetarianism is a great way to live because you don't get a lot of calories easily and the anti-oxidants in the food can help you avoid getting many types of cancer, especially colon cancer. The problem is, your body needs a lot of the amino acids found in high-protein foods like meat to replace damaged cellular components so you might have trouble with things like excess bleeding when you're cut or you might not recover as quickly from intense exercise.
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would like to have the will power to stop eating candy. To eat less snacks. Smaller helpings at meals, which I've been able to do occasionally. Return to walking my dogs regularly.
  11. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Still a good start :). If you can get yourself into a gym and do so regularly for six months or longer, studies have shown that it'll become a lifelong habit. I was a lazy computer nerd once, but started working out and now I'm a fit computer nerd ;)
  12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I don't diet, but I know a little bit about working out and staying fit.

The best time to run is before breakfest in the early morning. Your body does not have many carbs in the system when you wake up, and it goes to the fat cells for energy.

Donts: Fast Food, Soda, Candy

I drink some Optimum Whey protein after every workout, and it seems to help. I am never sore the next day (no matter how hard I workout), and I gain muscle. Best to drink the protein with water after a workout. Milk slows the process of the protein getting to the muscle tissue.

If you want to use a supplement (which are USUALLY ALL SAFE), go here: LINK

Check out the forums on that site, people have some good stacks that seem to work well when trying to loose weight.

Good luck.
  13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I lost 25lbs from July to November last year, and I hope to lose a bunch more over the course of this year (25 more to be exact).

My tricks:
    - Portion control: Since I used to be very active in sports, I have a bad habit of eating the same large meals now as I did back then, when I was burning extra calories all day. Keeping portions small (and training my stomach to hold less) helps me reduce calorie intake.
    - Moderate high calorie consumption: Going cold turkey from your favorite food/drink is tough, and makes a "diet" feel more like punishment. Try cutting back a little at a time.
    - Eat small meals more often: Eating a smaller meal every 3 hours or so (5-6 meals) actually helps your kick you metabolism into higher gear, thus making you burn more calories even if you're just sitting at your Mac. Watch out for extra calories, though.
    - Workout regularly: 30 minutes, 5 times a day is not that much time, once you make the commitment. Personally, when I have the time, I'll get up to a 1-2 hours, 5-6 times a week. When I don't have the time, I try to get a quick weight workout (large muscle groups, like topicolo said) or 30 minutes of cardiovascular work. If you're overweight, take it easy on your joints and do a stationary bike, elliptical runner, rowing machine or swim workout.
    - Don't try to lose it all at once: Losing a couple pounds a week is all you can really lose and not have to worry about rebound weight gain. I lost my 25lbs by averaging 5lbs a month. I set short-term goals that help keep me motivated and making progress towards my overall goal.

What it all comes down to (barring any strange metabolic, hormonal, glandular stuff) is calories in versus calories out. Burn more than you consume and you're on track to lose weight. :)
  14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm already in my " new health" mode...been doing well for 3 weeks.

my diet consists of oatmeal with a banana for breakfast and black coffee. no more sugar and cream:(

a salad 3 hours later.

steamed veggies and a potato or chicken 3 hours later.

an apple for a snack.

fish or something lean with veggies for dinner.

no sodas( man, i miss my dr peppers)...only water or green tea thru the day. no eating after 7:00 pm. if i want a snack i just have a very small portion ( 1 square of valrhona chocolate or maybe some nonfat yogurt with fruit). no bread.

i do weights 3 times a week and run a couple of miles 3 nites a week. want to start a pilates class to stay limber and aligned.

i usually splurge one nite a week...maybe have a beer or some chinese food.

i feel great, have lost some "fat" inches and hope to maintain this pace even after i hit my desired lean-ness. man, it takes so much work to keep the metabolism going when you get old.....;)
  15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    hahahaha. crap... all this because i accidentally said "don't eat before dinner" rather than "don't eat right before bed"... whoops!

yeah, i know smaller meals more often is better. was thinking faster than i could type. or something. hah

as for the vegetarian diet... in my case i don't do it for the health benefits, and i basically make sure to eat enough food to get all my protein and other stuff... i tend to eat a lot of meat substitutes made from soy and wheat gluten, so i actually get a more proper portion of protein now than i did before (lots of people eat way too much protein. though i suppose dr. atkins would disagree)...

anyhoo, thanks for the heads up. so the question is, should i edit my original post or will that make you look like you changed it in your quote of me? hah

oh, and 3rdpath... they let you out of the retirement center to exercise? neat!