The Sun shines on Napster

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 22, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. jMc
    macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2001
    London N8, Late-16th Century
    Hmmm, classy... not.
    Despite the size of The Sun's readership (and not really wanting to cast aspersions on the social make-up of said readership), I think Apple is better off maintaining the 'aspirational' quality that the iPod currently enjoys...

However, what does worry me is that The Sun is a News International publication (read Rupert Murdoch) and could mark the beginning of a wider partnership with Napster within that organisation worldwide...

3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2002
  4. macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2003
    In my head
    Just keep sending iPods to BBC broadcasters, that will generate far more interest nationwide than targetting the poxy Sun comic. 5 live is like a covert Apple love in, Whenever music is mentioned, iPods seem to crop up. Whenever there is a PC virus someone writes in a solution - get a Mac - and it gets read out.
  5. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Being on the other side of the Big Pond, I am not sure what quality newspaper the Sun is (though I have heard of semi nudes in the UK tabloids).

At least in the US there is a greater chance of getting people to buy a premium product if shown why it is better. For that reason Apple should look at iTMS giveaways to build awareness for iTMS and the iPod.
  6. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    Free Napster songs?

I wonder if you'll be allowed to play them when your subscription to the Sun expires. :rolleyes: