The switch has to happen, once i make up my mind

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ohreallydallas, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ohreallydallas macrumors newbie

I need to switch to Mac. ASAP. My current XP PC just doesnt cut it, its 3 years old and it does what i need it to do (sometimes) but I have the opportunity to get a mac in the coming weeks, so why not?

But since the MacIntel revelation i am limiting my choices to the Mac Mini and the iMac.

Money is not the issue, but it may sway me to get one or the other.

I would like a mac mini because i can use a Dell 20inch wide screen display and also use it with my pc. too bad mac mini's specs suck. The iMac G5 2.0ghz would be ideal but just ONE of those dead pixels will kill me, and Apples ****** support for that makes me want a seperate monitor. Can you use a pc on an iMac display? That might make me want it more.

Wow i suck at trying to explain my dilemma, but hopefully someone get its.

advice? please?

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Money isn't an issue? Have you considered a Powerbook? You can use it with your display, plus you'll have portability. The Intel issue is a non-issue IMO.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

So, you are choosing between a $1500 computer and a $500 one.

Why not get a different 1500 dollar computer. Maybe consider a used dual G5 tower, then you can use it with your current monitor, spend the same money, and get a LOT more horsepower from it.

Of course, if all you mainly use it for is the internet and word processing, the mini will probably do you just fine. so it depends on what you want to do with it.

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

No, you cannot you a PC on the iMac's display.

What do you want to do with your machine? That will determine which to get.

5. ohreallydallas thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am one of those people who experiment with many things, so the possibilities are endless, but mainly a few games (love the sims 2, its addictive on my friends g5 imac, but not on my 1.5 ghz pc, makes me want to kill myself) some video editing (nothing hardcore), photoshop, surfing (of course) and ichat AV. wow listing all made things a little clearer, i should opt for a low end g5.

6. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

well that was easy :D I agree with you though. A low end g5 or maybe you can get a refurd dual for cheap as well.

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me