The taller iPhone screen a fail?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Radio, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68000

I've had my phone since launch day and I am now positively disappointed in a taller screen.

I've gained nothing in my experience on the iPhone 5.

An extra row on icons?! Lol really

Most Apps just stretch the screen adding very little to no benefit.

Did apple fail I. Just making a taller screen versus wider and taller?

2. macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

No.

3. macrumors 6502

Wider would have been nicer as well but I wouldn't call the taller screen a fail.

- Everything feels less cramped with this screen especially when you try and go back to the 3.5 inch screens

- The most noticeable benefit for me is the much appreciated 16:9 aspect ratio. Watching videos in landscape is now much more enjoyable than before and I feel landscape games have benefited as well.

This is just my opinion though.

4. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

Use it for a month then try going back to your 4S or lower ... it's amazing what that half inch does.

5. macrumors newbie

I was with the many said this too. But, since my upgrade to 5 from 4 two days ago, I can say I appreciate the taller screen and for me it isn't as bad as I thought it would have been.

I like the fact I can see more email, messages and more of my twitter feed from a glance.

6. macrumors 6502

marine0816

Taller screen is a fail.. I wish the made a GS 3 that was airplay compatible then I would certainly jump ship. But yes taller is stupid. Taller an wider makes sense

7. macrumors regular

musty345

Like Furifo said, the taller screen is great for watching movies/TV shows.
    Apps that haven't been upgraded for the iPhone 5's taller screen are a little annoying to use, especially games.
    But overall, I don't think the taller screen is a fail.

8. macrumors newbie

My thing is this, since my perspective has changed somewhat. Why does every phone on the market have to be wide when incorporating a 4inch screen?

I think it's good for competition to throw a lil diversity in the mix.

9. macrumors 68040

That's what she said.....
    I just got mine today and so far I am happy with it

10. macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't see the new display as a failure, it's just a decision Apple made that is useless for my purposes.

As long as sales are strong, the Apple worshippers will declare everything Apple does as a near miracle.

However basic business reveals that no product or company stays on top forever. Once Apples decline begins in earnest, at that time the critics will look back & point out Apples mistakes.

In the mean time there's an awful lot of good alternatives if Apples not cutting it for an individuals preferences. And _that's_ the truly good news.

11. macrumors 65816

Hahaha, I love the topics from people that don't actually have an iPhone.

Some of you are pathetic.

12. macrumors 6502a

drenline

Would have liked it to be taller and wider. Maybe 2 years from now we'll get it, assuming the 5S is next, then the 6.

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

But apple hasn't added more functionality !

Thoughts guys?!

14. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Wider is pointless it just makes everything on the screen bigger without adding extra content. I love the 4in of my iPhone 5 and when I put it up next to my old iPod the iPod screen looks very wide and ridiculous. It's like the short fat child that everyone makes fun of

15. macrumors 68000

Its actually quite a difference to the old iPhones, its .5 bigger which is a pretty dramatic jump in screen estate. I actually find the screen quite spacious, and I came from a Galaxy S3 so it actually suprised me. Plus the retina display is amazingly sharp and clear I love this screen.

16. macrumors 65816

boomhower

It's certainly better than the 3.5" but I would have rather stayed 4:3 as it went to 4.0.

17. macrumors regular

I think the screen is great, works great for video. Really I don't see why you would need a much bigger screen on a phone, but that's my opinion and I have pretty good eyes which small text doesn't bother me.

18. macrumors member

Phone height is great.

19. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Failure would be subjective at this point.

20. macrumors member

Not true. That extra half inch helps in the small ways like my calendar app where I can see more daily events per day.

Of course an extra row of icons doesn't really help because it's not an app, just your desktop. But for the apps that make use of the extra height, it makes a world of a difference.

21. macrumors member

Isn't the decision to keep it 4" and only taller a resolution issue? So the apps can scale properly and not get fragmented?

This whole fear of fragmentation really comes with caveats. It limits Apple to certain restrictions. (Not to mention, fragmentation still happens anyway to some degree).

22. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Fail? I think not. I just got my iPhone 5 and freaking love the extra screen space.

23. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I was not impressed by the elongated screen size at all. They should have spent their time increasing battery length. This battery life sucks.

I like the improved processor but that's about it.

24. macrumors 6502

5 millions phones sold within the weekend wasn't it? I wouldn't call it failure.

Its everything reengineered !

25. macrumors regular

Fail? No way. It seems that Apple have put a lot of thought into this and I'm glad they didn't go down the road everyone else took and didn't make their screens taller and wider just because they can.

Honestly - going taller, but not wider was in my opinion the only way to go. That way you get a bigger screen, but the phone can still be used comfortably with one hand.

Besides, those ridiculously big screens (4.6", 4.8" - hello?) give these devices a kind of a cheap 'pimp-my-ride' character. Like monster trucks or those tuned low rider redneck cars with huge rear spoilers and added bling.

So, no, I don't think the taller screen is a fail. Apple has once again come up with an elegant, thought out solution and thankfully didn't jump on the 'mine-is-bigger'-train everyone else seems to be riding these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.