The televised debates: Bush v. Kerry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What do you think will happen here?

Will they make a difference or are most voters so polarised that they won't matter?

Being in the UK, we don't get the full details of what's going on.

How did Bush do in the last debates with Gore?
    Bush has a reputation for odd, improvised statements -- but is everything so rehearsed that they will just cancel each other out...

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The debates haven't often been decisive victories for any candidate, but in such a close election, I think they could easily make a difference. I think they work to Kerry's natural advantage for three reasons: First, they allow the challenger to literally stand alongside the incumbent which tends to make the challenger seem more presidential; second, they'll allow Kerry to explain himself to the American people instead of having the Republicans and the media do it for him, and third, although Kerry isn't exactly a wonderful speaker, Bush is probably the least rhetorically gifted politician I've ever seen.

Bush will try to neutralize the last advantage by trying to get a debate format which minimizes the amount of interchange between the two men and the number of surprise questions. Kerry will want the opposite.

None of which means that Kerry is bound to "win" the debates. If he comes off as wooden or defensive, or speaks in those long convoluted sentences, as he sometimes does, he could easily hurt himself.

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

From Kerry's own mouth.. "Bush has never lost a debate".

I saw him say this on the Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart. Bush is too likeable in appearance. What he lacks in speaking ability he obviously makes up for in "charisma" and "charm".

I love debates. We really get a chance to see the guys sweat and defend their positions. Since both Bush and Kerry are full of crap 1/2 the time, these debates should be especially interesting... ;)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The reason Kerry said that is because Gore 'lost' the debates by not rising to the high expectations that had been set by the media and by most people who thought Bush would fall apart in a debate. Bush 'won' the debates by not falling on his face as badly as everyone expected.

Kerry is working to raise the expectations of Bush this time around. In 2000 everyone thought Bush was a debating lightweight as it worked to Bush's advantage. He will be expected to perform much better this time, as he has proven by not losing a debate.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

when will the TV debates air ?.. perhaps i'll tune in if they aren't at european times like 5 AM or something like that
    i guess it will be interesting this time..looks like an even match

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if you listened to the content, gore obliterated bush. if you listened to the pop vox afterwards, you lost complete faith in the american public.

the f phrase that killed gore: "fuzzy math"
    the f phrase that might kill kerry: "flip-flop"

give the idiot american public a catchphrase and they'll repeat it for months. for example, how long was the phrase "hanging chad" part of everyday vocabulary?

soundbites beat reason. that's the problem w/ american politics.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They haven't been scheduled yet. One of the traditional preliminary events is the parties arguing with each other over number, timing, location and format.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Something to do with having the attention span of a fruit-fly.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

will bush debate kerry alone, or will he bring dick w/ him?

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd like to see a much more rigorous debate schedule than is ever the case. Candidates should be able to question each other after the moderator gets things started. Time limits should be strictly enforced. The debate should center on one major, or at most two or three minor issues. Straying from the topic is only tolerated when it pertains to the issue at hand.

But we will likely see 3 or 4 debates at most, all in a format that is relatively low-risk to the candidates. Neither one is likely to be too interested in exposing themselves to the risks of a vigorous debate. I can almost see the vein in Rove's forehead throbbing when he thinks of unscripted Dubya. I'm sure Kerry's handlers feel the same.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Anyone think we'll hear the phrase 'Usama bin Laden' from Dubya's lips tonight?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'd love to hear Kerry ask Bush, "Do you honestly think for one moment that if my country were threatened I would hesitate to defend it with all my might?"

And I'd love to hear Bush's answer. Since Dubya & his minions have tried to make Kerry look weak on terrorism, forcing Bush to answer this question would be the rhetorical equivalent of asking, "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No, he'll be ----less. :p

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I must confess, I made exactly the same rather poor joke, but mine got deleted, for some reason... :confused:

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ah, so it did. along w/ my contextually dependent response.

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

That would be a resounding "no." Not a word on how we are now safer having switched almost all our resources away from destroying al Qaeda and finding bin Laden to the mess in Iraq. My guess is he is still hoping we will continue to believe they are the same thing.

17. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Bin Laden is dead.

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

He's not dead, he's just resting.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Bush's camp may cut 1 debate

link

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Can't argue with facts like that. Source please? I know it's un-American, but pardon me if I don't believe you.

22. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I am the SOURCE :D
    Think, if he was alive they would have several videos of him as proof of him being alive to help recruting efforts or to rub Bush's nose in it.

23. katchow macrumors 6502

wow Bin Laden really is dead!

Mission Accomplished! Yay!

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

There was a great article in The Atlantic about Bush's debating skills.

Check it out. It's a long read, but very interesting indeed.

25. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The funny thing is...Gore was exactly right when he spoke of the need for a "lockbox" and Bush was exactly wrong when he derided Gore for so-called "fuzzy math." Gore's math was perfectly clear. Incidentally, so was Bush's--It was absolutely lucid that Bush's policies would lead us in the wrong direction. Alas, even after they have, many Americans don't see it.