The Threat of Militarism by Karen Kwiatkowski

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FFTT, Jul 27, 2006.

1. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I found this to be a very interesting read.

Karen's work continues to impress me.

Looking for answers, I rediscovered President’s Eisenhower’s farewell speech. Ike gave this speech to the world, and all Americans, in January 1961, a year after I was born. You have reviewed this address yourselves, and it is generally known as the "Military Industrial Complex" speech. In it, this five-star general and two-term Republican president in the 1950s reminds us that we live in a technological and industrial age. He says that forces of technology and industry that were rightly defending us from nuclear destruction had also become powerful forces for change in their own. He says,

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

Eisenhower’s speech – his warning to contemporary and subsequent generations – was timely when he gave it in 1961. It was based on what he understood to be true about the nature of American democracy, and the nature of man.

much more
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/kwiatkowski/kwiatkowski155.html

2. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have any interest in what Karen has to say.
    This is just one article of many she has written.

She brings up an important point about the focus of American industry and manufacturing.

War is great for business.

This especially holds true in the Washington D.C. Northern Va area where
    countless offices are dedicated to government, military and security contractors and agencies.

The actual manufacturing jobs are elsewhere, but they all have satellite
    offices here.
    Northrup Grumman, Lockheed, Booze Allen & Hamilton, Mitre, Ratheon,
    SAIC, Symantec, Microsoft, Oracle, CIA, NSA, and countless other related
    employment centers.

It's just about one of the only industries we can't outsource to China, India or Mexico, but where we can sell what we manufacture.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I saw Karen in the documentary "Hijacking Catastrophe" (which was sort of a deadly serious version of "Fahrenheit 9/11"), and she impressed me with her knowledge and courage.

Her article is well-written and refreshingly blunt, which is something we really need today.

Interesting that Eisenhower was wary of the "war racket". I remember when I was growing up, if you were one of those people shouting about the evils of the military-industrial complex, you were considered some kind of crazy hippie Commie bastard.

Now you realize those folks were just ahead of their time.

4. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

The reason I respect Karen's work so much is that she is not afraid to expose
    the truth. She also backs up what my father told me years ago after he left the Pentagon Inspector General's Group.

5. FFTT thread starter macrumors 68030

FFTT

Thomas,

If only more people were aware of the film you mention.

Thanks!

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There was another movie I saw that mentioned this. I can't remember what it was called, but it was something about the business of war. Not really much to say, other than we're probably all doomed. Sorry.