The tide is turning.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Taft, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I've noticed a growing trend among technology sites on the internet lately: most of them are become much more Mac friendly. I put the credit for this squarely on the shoulders of Mac OS X.

Take slashdot for example. Since Mac OS X has hit the big time, slashdot (and a lot of slashdot users, it seems) have become much more Mac friendly. This should come as no surprise since OS X is partly open-sourced and runs on a Linux-like base. But the site has went so far as to add a whole whole Apple based web page: apple.slashdot.org.

Other site are turning Mac friendly as well. Osopinion.com is a great example.

Anyone else notice that the tech community might be coming around to Apple and especially OS X.

Matthew

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think it's very similar to when the first generation iMacs came out in 5 different "flavors"...all of a sudden u saw all kinds of products in transparent rainbow colored cases...

I think people recognize the effectiveness of what Apple does and they take cues from Apple and try and ride the tide so to speak...

of course we're already seeing how well Aqua is being accepted visually by the masses...everyone thinks it's killer looking....

and with that...they are making more of an effort to accomodate to the Mac community I feel...

just my 2¢... :p

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

4. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Oh yes---this is a very significant change of climate as far as the respect being shown to Apple's OS. MacOS 9 was the "lamer" operating system on forums such as slashdot, and with good reason. I've said it before and I will say it again--Windows 95 is a more robust operating system than today's OS 9. With OS X, Apple has taken what I consider to be the finest OS that has ever been, NeXTSTEP, and evolved it to bring Unix to the desktop for the masses. And it runs OS 9 apps! This is an incredible achievment.

I've long ago lost count of how many people I've seen claiming OS X has brought them from PC to the Mac. I was one--soon after the iMac was released, and it was clear that NeXTSTEP would become OS X, I got on the bandwagon and purchased Apple's next pro machine, the PowerMac G3 B&W. OS X took a little while to get here--but finally I am able to run Unix on my desktop without one hint of longing or envy or regret.

If you are serious / hardcore about Unix, there really is no finer scene for you to embrace than OS X. Buying a Sun--not so exciting. Solaris is a robust OS...but bland. Linux lets you be more of a rebel, and for free--if your time has no value. OS X is what I've waited for all these years. Using OS X day to day on my DP G4 800 is a wonderful experience. It's as though everything Apple makes now is from God.

I feel that Apple's future is more hopeful today than it has ever been in the past. Truly. I cannot see how market share will not increase to a notable degree.

blakespot

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Exactly... I get so annoyed at seeing every single product being released in Different Fun Colors! now the george foreman grill, which i love, has flavored bun warmers. It's getting a bit extreme-- from TV's to vacuums to electric toothbrushes, and of course to COMPAQ... love those "optional color kits"

I don't know if people realize that Apple started that, or take no notice at all... But to me, annoying as it is, it shows Apple's continuing influence on tech fashon...

and see, I only quoted a little bit, and i have no signature, so you can all love me :) hehe

pnw

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: paulwhannel

that's the point...it's a compliment to Apple and their ideas...

but yes it does become an eyesore to see it everywhere...

but that's the way trends and styles go....everyone follows them till the next "big thing" come out... :p

7. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

Ha! You're following the MacRumors "protocol" very well.

All of you, fall in line! Hehe :D

Matthew

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: re: paulwhannel

A really good example of this is automotive design. You can pretty much tell within a few years when the car was made, even if you don't know what it is.

Apple has proven to be an innovator, and is copied for it out of the box ideas. The way things are going, I'm thinking the next big design thing will come from Apple, and probably continue that way for a years to come.