The Tiger Reviews Come Rolling In

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DXoverDY, Apr 28, 2005.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    Been looking forward to reading some reviews, especially from John Siracusa at ars technica... thanks for the links. :)
  2. HisBoiElroy macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2004
    Thanks for posting these. I need something to read while I wait for FedEx. :rolleyes:
  3. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2003
    anyone know anything about this comment???

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Arstechnia review only one worth reading. The OSnews review is a load of steaming cow manure.
  5. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    Only problem is we already knew what Jon was going to say. The same thing as always:

metadata good
    speed improvements good
    confusing interface styles
    finder awful

At least he didn't wax for 10 pages on a spatial finder this time.

(Don't get me wrong, his reviews are good, just incredibly repetitive)
  6. kcmac macrumors 6502

May 22, 2002
    Jon is high on Tiger. A tough critic and he loves it. This is great news I think. Repetitive is not the right word. Insistant, consistent, etc. Seems to me the things he wanted to see and has been harping on are all happening. Well except for the finder and he glossed over this this time because of all the other improvements and the power and potential of Spotlight.
  7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    I'm glad the Arstechnica review was mentioned, it's pretty much the definitive site for OS X reviews (not just Tiger).

Yes, Siracusa's complaints are repetitive, but IMO rightly so. The UI inconsistencies, lack of persistence/predicability (the QuickTime video of the Find window would be funny if it wasn't so annoying) and the file type/extension issue are my biggest annoyances as well (as I'm sure for many others).

Wish Apple would hire the guy (and not just to shut him up! ;) )
  8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Actually, just reading through the Arstechnica review - I hadn't realised that Quartz 2D Extreme is disabled by default in Tiger. You need to enable it via Quartz Debug - obviously it wasn't ready in time.
  9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    The ArsTechnica review was a really good one. That's for the people that say Tiger only has 3 new features. :p Thanks for the link.