Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
So that's that.
No more Top Gear.

Even if Netflix (the only viable option because this show cannot be interrupted by commercials) wanted to air something similar with the "3-man package". IMHO it would be best to call it quits.

We have had 22 seasons and 13 years of great Top Gear fun, and now time has come to call it a day.
Clarkson is not the youngest and might want a little less "being in the spotlight".

Some say... the timing is best now. And... we didn't know how to end the show. All we know the guy we punched, is named... the Stig.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
If you see the video, he clearly looks like he is trying pretty hard not to say it.

He mumbles he way through it, but why even use a rhyme with a racist word in it?

And as for saying 'there's a slope on the bridge...'

Based on the the evidence, this very clearly wasn't their fault at all. It's very silly to blame Jeremy for this. They said it was a coincidence, the license plate registration date says it was a coincidence, the fact that Jeremy wanted the manual 982 GT and the fact that only two were on sale at the time tells me that this was simply what they've been saying -- a coincidence.
I don't blame Clarkson for the incident, but controversy certainly does follow him around.

No he isn't. In my eyes, he very partially redeemed himself by consistently apologizing in person the day after the fact, and that he reported himself to the BBC. Even today, he has been saying to people to let Oisin Tymon alone as it wasn't his fault at all.

Look, I'm not saying he should be let off for this, of course not, he punched a producer! What I'm saying is, BBC should have handled this better by fining Clarkson a huge amount, forcing him to go to rehab, even jail time, but he be allowed to host Top Gear. Top Gear would still exist and we wouldn't feel dead inside because our favorite show has come to an end!

He did redeem himself by reporting himself, and even Tymon himself didn't report it, but it did involve members of the public, so it was always going to come out one way or another. Clarkson did the right thing, but it was too little too late for the BBC.

As for Clarkson's punishment, the BBC (as mighty as they think they are) can't sentence him to jail time, and he may yet still face prosecution, although he'll get nothing more than a fine for a public disorder offence, and I can't see Tymon pressing charges.

Could they have fined him or suspended him for longer? Probably, almost definitely if it was his first offence, but as I said earlier, and Clarkson himself admitted, he was already beyond having a final warning for various reasons.

People shouldn't be allowed to get away with what is basically a criminal offence just because it would make you feel bad.

Edit: I was right, Tymon isn't pressing charges

Last edited:

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
If you see the video, he clearly looks like he is trying pretty hard not to say it.

Based on the the evidence, this very clearly wasn't their fault at all. It's very silly to blame Jeremy for this. They said it was a coincidence, the license plate registration date says it was a coincidence, the fact that Jeremy wanted the manual 982 GT and the fact that only two were on sale at the time tells me that this was simply what they've been saying -- a coincidence.

No he isn't. In my eyes, he very partially redeemed himself by consistently apologizing in person the day after the fact, and that he reported himself to the BBC. Even today, he has been saying to people to let Oisin Tymon alone as it wasn't his fault at all.

Look, I'm not saying he should be let off for this, of course not, he punched a producer! What I'm saying is, BBC should have handled this better by fining Clarkson a huge amount, forcing him to go to rehab, even jail time, but he be allowed to host Top Gear. Top Gear would still exist and we wouldn't feel dead inside because our favorite show has come to an end!

I think the problem is, even though this is in the public eye, this is still a workplace and you can not have this happening in a work environment regardless of the position of the person.

If my best employee hit me, or someone else in our office, then it would be over and I am sure that this would be the same in many places. I am Top Gear fan and I am Clarkson fan (somewhat, sometimes I find him trying to hard to be controversial) but you can not condone this behaviour and you can not keep someone in employment for it either.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So that's that.
No more Top Gear.

Even if Netflix (the only viable option because this show cannot be interrupted by commercials) wanted to air something similar with the "3-man package". IMHO it would be best to call it quits.

We have had 22 seasons and 13 years of great Top Gear fun, and now time has come to call it a day.
Clarkson is not the youngest and might want a little less "being in the spotlight".

Some say... the timing is best now. And... we didn't know how to end the show. All we know the guy we punched, is named... the Stig.

BBC America is commercial funded. It's not that big of a deal.

Reactions: SkyBell

Avro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Maybe it's more common in the UK, but I had no idea slope was a slang word for Asian until people started making a big stink about it.

I have spent most of the last 30+ years in the UK and most of my family is from the Far East and have never heard the word 'slope' used as a racist word.

Clarkson is never going to be popular with the 'crunchy granola chattering classes' and they continually contrive to make him look like a bad guy. They have been horrified by Clarkson's lack of PC for some time and were frothing at the mouth to get rid of him. :rolleyes:

The facts of the matter in this case were that Clarkson had to much too drink and got out of hand. The BBC had little choice, but to censure him in the circumstances. He did apologise and reported the incident himself which says a lot about the man.

I would have preferred that he was suspended for an episode or two and given a donation to Tymon's favourite charity.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
He mumbles he way through it, but why even use a rhyme with a racist word in it?

To be honest, saying the rhyme with "that" word was so common with kids in my childhood that even to this day I have to actually concentrate to stop myself saying it if I'm ever saying that rhyme. I'm not a racist by any means, it's just so ingrained it's almost automatic. I expect the same happened with JC.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
To be honest, saying the rhyme with "that" word was so common with kids in my childhood that even to this day I have to actually concentrate to stop myself saying it if I'm ever saying that rhyme. I'm not a racist by any means, it's just so ingrained it's almost automatic. I expect the same happened with JC.

I grew up with that rhyme drilled into my head from a young age (without 'that' however) and now I never use it for fear even the rhyme alone might be enough to stir trouble, but sometimes I forget.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I have spent most of the last 30+ years in the UK and most of my family is from the Far East and have never heard the word 'slope' used as a racist word.

Really? I'm an American, my family is also from the "Far East," I've spent 35+ years living all over the world and I've heard "slope" used as a derogative plenty of times.

As for the whole situation, I give it a giant meh. The show is well past its sell-by date. While the films they produce are incredibly gorgeous, its been years since the show itself had much magic to it.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I quite like Chris Evans and he's a proper petrolhead so I think he'll be a good fit. Guy Martin would be amazing as well as he's such a character. Not sure how he'd work out on a show like this though.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I don't think Guy Martins quite got the presenter skills to be honest.

As for Chris Evans, I'd rather gouge my owes out that watch that jump up smug idiot on my screen....

I know they won't, because it earns way to much money, but they should just knock it on the head.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Evans is a radio guy not TV. I just don't see how it will work.

Guess it really is the end of an era.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Evans is a radio guy not TV. I just don't see how it will work.

Guess it really is the end of an era.

End of an era on BBC maybe. Jeremy Clarkson has all but confirmed that the trio will be making a new show on another network. Rumor is Netflix.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
End of an era on BBC maybe. Jeremy Clarkson has all but confirmed that the trio will be making a new show on another network. Rumor is Netflix.
The budget rumors for a Netflix series are promise. Netflix spends more on an episode of House of Cars than the BBC spends on Top Gear in a whole season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well Good bye old Top Gear. It was sad to see May and Hammond in that empty studio. I think they could have edited it a bit better.
Anyway it's been a fun few years. Will have to see how the new rival show and the new Chris Evans show looks.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Well that's it then.

The studio looked a bit eerie with just the two of them in there, slightly offset by the fact that they put the big elephant in the room. Classic top gear.

On to the new show then. I just hope the new show has the same elements of what made top gear great. The three of them messing about, epic races, challenges, and very subtle penis references.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Watched it on iPlayer last night. Nearly fell off my chair when I saw them driving through the town where I live! So a special last episode for me in more ways than one.

I'm also originally from Yorkshire where the second film was shot. I believe after the end of that shoot is when Jeremy lost his rag - cold, wet, muddy and hungry.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So the new show aired tonight, and so far it's not working for me.
MLB just seems bored.

CE brings his usual enthusiasm. But for all his shouting, I just miss the old line up.
Hopefully it gets better as they get used to the roles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.