Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the definitive Top Gear MEGATHREAD :D

You know what it’s like, Monday morning comes, and what are all the blokes at work talking about? “Did you see that _________ on Top Gear last night!?!? I’d sell my kids to get one!”

It’s only right that the MacRumors community has the same place to share that passion, and this is it.

To kick off…

How about that Aston Martin DBR9? *grrrrrrrr* And that green thing based on an A Class that could extend and shrink, how cool was that!?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
This morning my first topic of conversation was the funniness during the segment about the new Discovery going up the mountain. The line about sucking the moisture off rocks was hilarious, as was the farse of the land anchor pulling the whole of Scotland towards the car.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I had completly forgotten about the new Disco!

I was pretty impressed with it though, it's pretty good value, and is very capable. IMO the new Disco looks much better than the old one, I was never a fan of the old look.

Blackstealth

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Bradford, UK
edesignuk said:
I was pretty impressed with it though, it's pretty good value, and is very capable. IMO the new Disco looks much better than the old one, I was never a fan of the old look.

I can't say I'm a fan of the new Disco (the 300 Tdi series was the best looking in my books) but it's good to see that it retains the capability of its ancestors.

As long as Ford keeps churning out Land Rovers that are capable of driving to the ends of the earth in mostly showroom spec (with a few selected accessories) then I'll be happy.

The DBR9 looks very tasty, it'll be interesting to see how it performs at Sebring before they cart it off the Le Mans.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
edesignuk said:
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the definitive Top Gear MEGATHREAD :D
Wow, this just sounds so exciting :D ;)

Is this show only limited to UK viewers and vehicles?

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mr. Anderson said:
Wow, this just sounds so exciting :D ;)
hehe, I know, doesn't it? ;)
Is this show only limited to UK viewers and vehicles?

D
Oh no, everyone's welcome! It's just that I know Top Gear is the biggest car show over here, and is also watched my many in the US and over the world on international BBC channels, so it seemed like a good name for it.

Why, got a cool car you wanna talk about? :D

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
Wes said:
This morning my first topic of conversation was the funniness during the segment about the new Discovery going up the mountain. The line about sucking the moisture off rocks was hilarious, as was the farse of the land anchor pulling the whole of Scotland towards the car.

I have always been a LR Discovery Fan, and was given VIP tickets to its Australian release, but with the models starting at AU$55,000 it will be out of reach for many families. I will be taking a serious look at it, and the X5's again, for my next car. The Disco has all the off road capabilities that I don't need, but the on-road handling seems perfect with that new 6 speed auto. Only one question although, what about the Quality of the car? That is not one of Land Rover's strengths, and that it why I bought an X5 last time.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
paxtonandrew said:
Only one question although, what about the Quality of the car? That is not one of Land Rover's strengths, and that it why I bought an X5 last time.
That's one point they commented on, they said it seems to be built well and is very solid, unlike other Land Rovers of late. So things are looking good :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Observations...

How not so good does the new Dodge Viper look... not only is it slower around a track than a CSL (both in the wet) it sets fire to it's interior and doesn't go around corners at all well.

And it's engine is the epitome of lazy arsed engineering.

The new Disco is cool as... more so in the flesh. It's HUGE as well and looks like it's carved out of granite, and far more impressive looking than the Range Rover. Shame it weighs 2.7 tonnes. :eek: Totally over engineered, but nothing short of a military Hummer would see which way it went off road though! :D

The Enzo last week was truly glorious and I'm inclined to believe it'd lap the 'Ring faster than any other production car on the planet.

How bad was that Bugatti Veyron watch.... £140k, completely useless because it doesn't have the car to go with it.

Anyway... it's 5th Gear now, and I'm off to get my weekly dose of Vicki!! :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
iGAV said:
Anyway... it's 5th Gear now, and I'm off to get my weekly dose of Vicki!! :D
Watching that now ;) Glad to see they just gave the Mini the thumbs up (again!).

I really don't like the new Viper, the engineering is pathetic, how in the world can you give someone an 8.3ltr engine, and then only get 500bhp out of it? BMW do that with 5.2ltr (the new M5). Not only that, the new Viper looks no where near a mean or extreme as the old one, and the bodywork actually catches fire because the exhausts that run down the side of the car get so hot! That's ridiculous! I wouldn't wanna go near a petrol station with it :eek:

edit: one more thing: then they want £80k for it, you must be ******** me, I can think of MUCH better ways to spend £80k on a car.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My tastes are just too old fashioned, the muscle cars of the 60's, etc.

Z28
Super Sport
GTO
Roadrunner
Boss 302

I come from a different generation :(

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
I have a client who drives a Mercedes M class and loved telling him today he had the worst car in the UK. Is the whole survey out yet or just in the magazine?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
sparky76 said:
I have a client who drives a Mercedes M class and loved telling him today he had the worst car in the UK. Is the whole survey out yet or just in the magazine?
I loved that, I never throught much of them, and it's always Mums or business men with their head up their own arse that drive them (sorry if anyone here drives 'em :p). Perfect :D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
So, this is an edesignUK masterclass in how to talk a thread up is it? ;) :rolleyes: :D :D

I'm a big Topgear fan, I loved the attempt to kill that Toyota pickup last year, they dropped a 15 storey block of flats out from under it and it STILL started.... How hard is that?

I'll go with the Aston, luvverly.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
WinterMute said:
I'm a big Topgear fan, I loved the attempt to kill that Toyota pickup last year, they dropped a 15 storey block of flats out from under it and it STILL started.... How hard is that?

Was that before or after they let it float in the sea and then dropped a caravan on it?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
WinterMute said:
So, this is an edesignUK masterclass in how to talk a thread up is it? ;) :rolleyes: :D :D
Yup, it's all in the marketing you know ;)
Wes said:
Was that before or after they let it float in the sea and then dropped a caravan on it?
And was that before of after they set fire to it? :D

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have missed it for the past 2 weeks (yes i know i have sinned) but in the 1st week i liked the ice cream van trying to jump bouhcy castles. oh and i would so love to go playing on that big beach in wales. it looks great fun!

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
top gear has to be one of the best things on tv, not only does it have loads of cool stuff about seriously fast cars and cool things like jumping an ice cream van over cars but its also very funny. I know some people hate Clarkson's sense of humour and say that hes a jerk but i think hes incredibly funny, the humour is always what gets me! :D

it was very funny that the new viper's (ridiculously positioned) exhausts tend to set things on fire! :D :D

Yeah i think the new disco is cool looking, but because of new car pedestrian crash related guidelines due to be enforced in a couple of years time all new cars and 4x4's will look radically different. The bonnets have to be drastically lower, it really will change the way everything we drive looks. Imagine how seriously injured you'd be if that stonking great landrover drove into you?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
stevehaslip said:
Imagine how seriously injured you'd be if that stonking great landrover drove into you?
The front of the Rolls-Royce Phantom would smart a bit too! :eek: It's gotta be the biggest, flatest, front of a car I have ever seen :cool:

...but then, there's probably not much chance of running in to a £250,000 car everyday...

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
edesignuk said:
and is also watched my many in the US

no ****??? do you know where/how??? i miss top gear and i've yet to find it on telly over here. maybe i should do a tivo search, never thought it would ever be on! top gear and match of the day, if i could get both of those i'd be the happiest guy alive, at least for a minute anyway.

all i'd need then is murray walker on the grand prix shows here.....

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
evoluzione said:
no ****??? do you know where/how??? i miss top gear and i've yet to find it on telly over here. maybe i should do a tivo search, never thought it would ever be on! top gear and match of the day, if i could get both of those i'd be the happiest guy alive, at least for a minute anyway.

all i'd need then is murray walker on the grand prix shows here.....
I think when Top Gear has come up before people have said it's on BBC America or something? I'm not sure, maybe someone else can help here?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Wes said:

That was after, plus they'd set it on fire and crashed it into a wall too... :eek:

Bloody thing just wouldn't lie down and die, in the end they didn't have the heart to try to kill it any more, it would have seemed petty. They drove it into the studio, all they used to get it running were basic tools and WD40.

Mind, thats all you ever need isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.