The trash - is it dangerous?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by wowser, Mar 13, 2004.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Whilst I can see that it is quite possible to 'accidently' throw say, my Tony Hawks folder into the trash, and 'accidently' empty the trash, i was wondering if the same 'danger' would be true of the Macintosh HD icon (forgive the ' ' marks). I was testing and dragging it to the trash brought up the 'eject' icon. If i was drunk, or something, would it be possible to get rid of the contents of my harddrive??????? Is this a stupid post?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You can drag the hard drive icon, the trash can will change to the eject icon, and you can let go of the drive icon--then you will be told that the disk is in use and can't be ejected.

You can't trash a drive. You can only unmount it--but not if it's got the os you booted from on it.

3. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

thanks the lord. I guess it would be just the same in windows too!

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i wouldnt be so sure, my friend managed to compleatly f**k his xp pc by installing m$ office. told him 2 restart and we got some odd screen saying the hd was corrypted. well it took me about 10 hours to get it working agian! gotta love m$ (yeh right!)

5. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

new microsoft office on the mac looks nice, though

6. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I couldn't resist, I once was looking for space on an older PC when I came across a 50mb compressed file of some sort??? silly me it was the root OS. But too late I deleted it!! and took a few days to get it up and running again. I always thought the only good thing about the Trash can on a PC was to put the OS in it!