The truth about the PS3 launch (and other modern VG debuts).

Discussion in 'Games' started by CHAOS STEP, Nov 12, 2006.

1. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

The laughable mainstream media reviews aside (OMG PS3 SELLS OUT !!!11), which is ridiculous since everyone knows that the console HAD to sell out due to it's very limited supply.

What is more concerning and has had very little coverage, really since the DS launch and most notably the PSP and DS Lite launch is the poor organisation of the manufacturers to supply enough hardware, leading to organised individuals taking advantage of the situation and in many cases paying the homeless or hard up foreigners to 'get the goods'.

Here is a good article, ironically on a site that itself perhaps should have presented the real picture earlier.

Anyway, please read this;

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigners-and-fights-ps3-jpn-launchs-dark-side-214130.php

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The only possible solution to stop people who buy the PS3 to resell it, would be to make enough units for everyone...and how many is that? Nintendo is going to have a million units for America, and they don't think that will be enough.

Should Sony have pushed back there launch? But how the Media would have ripped them apart for being SO late with the PS3.

3. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Umm, because Sony simply doesn't want to produce more PS3s? Or do you think Sony should raise the price of the PS3 enough so that supply does equal demand? I'm not exactly sure what you think about that cartoon "sums it up"...

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

the reason the ebay thing is so much of a big deal this time is that when people saw that the 360 was going for $1000+ they now think that every PS3 will go to more than that. PS3 is launching with 400k units in NA (if Sony isn;t BS'ing which they very well could be) the SAME amount as 360 launched with. So the supply for both is ~same just that now people who never would have thought to scalp on ebay are doing so, which screws hings up for everyone else as people who NEVER would have bought the system are doing so in order to sell it, adding even MORE buyers to an already crowded market.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah Sony doesn't have enough consoles not on purpose, its just thats as much as they can put out, you think Cell yields are good?

It would be stupid to believe Sony is doing this on purpose, they just can't afford to.

That VG cartoon is very funny but I hope you don't think that is ACTUALLY what Sony is doing with PS3.

See its either launching 80000 units on November 11th or delaying the release past Christmas and onto Spring, probably March to get the kind of supply you demand... so Sony says, people will be less pissed up if we release on November with very few units rather than 2-4 months later.

And guess what they are right.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

:rolleyes:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Now, if Nintendo manages to sell out then I'll be impressed. How many are they bringing across again? I'm not impressed when low stock sells out. That's ridiculous.

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I believe its 1 million at launch, 4 million by the end year and 6 million by the end of the fiscal year... if those numbers are right... Wii will not sell out but everyone who wants one will get one and thats great, getting a PS3 will be very very hard but getting a Wii before Christmas should be extremely easy.

9. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I wonder about the PS3 launch. When 360 came out a lot of people were only buying to flip it on ebay. But a majority bought it to keep it (of the people I know). However, I've talked to about 10 people who are getting a PS3 at launch and not one of them plans on keeping it.

It makes me think the initial demand for PS3 isn't driven by a genuine want for the console, but rather by the promise of a quick buck on ebay. Following this logic, will the prices on ebay go as high as the 360 prices did?

10. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

No it does not.

Sony is not selling Walkmans; the company is selling a next gen game console with advanced technology such as blu-ray, cell processing, high definition, etc. Do you know what the true quantity demanded is for the system? Probably not.

We're not talking about a system like the Nintendo Wii, which uses less advanced hardware and materials and can be manufactured with less resources than a 360 and PS3--thus costing less for Nintendo to manufacture altogether. That's the key: Sony cannot afford to produce all the consoles demanded at launch, especially considering the gaming division will be losing up to 1.7 billion dollars through March of 2007.

Last year the 360 sold out like crazy and many were paying outrageous prices on e-bay for the system. Even Steve Ballmer never got his hands on one. What's the difference with what is happening today?

A few more months and all the dust will settle.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just can't see why Sony are doing such a piss poor launch. Not only don't they have the systems, but major games are dropping from launch. It's ridiculous that they couldn't pull a Nintendo and get the system out everywhere in a 2-3 week launch window by just waiting.

The comic sums it up. Unless being out of stock suddenly counts for being good to us consumers.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Also the Playstation had a bigger fan base last time around(doesn't mean there will be more PS3 fans, but 360 had to prove itself, the Ps3 can sell by name alone for a while atleas, if people end up not liking it, then things will change in the next year)

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Because letting Nintendo and MS have an Xmas to themselves isn't good? 360 had crappy games at launch too, and had some major ones (Obilivion and DOA4) drop until 2006.

Besides how many systems do they need? 1 million? 2 million? They have to start somewhere. The hype is bigger for PS3 than Wii (here anyway) so even if they had the million units Wii is gonna have, they would probably sell out. All the flyers from bestbuy, futureshop, Toys-r-us, Zellers, etc all have PS3 on the front page, big inserts "NOVEMBER 17th! PS3! WE OPEN EARLY!" then about 6 pages in they list the Wii.

another few months and people can start whining about how sony sucks, and PS3 has only sold 1-2 million units, and Wii is the best, and Nintendo is so smart, and blah blah instead of whining about something as silly is a launch ;)

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The comic was made after GameStop sold out their PS3 preorders and Ken Kutaragi of Sony started bragging about how fast it sold out.

It's no different than Microsoft's launch. But Sony's bragging about it is rather hilarious. And the comic is for comedic purposes.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well the 80k units for Japan was a bit silly. 400,000 units is the same amount that 360 had at it's launch, so if you rag on PS3, I hoped you ragged on MS for doing the same thing.

Sony probably wanted it out before Thanksgiving because Americans seem to only know how to shop on one day per year, I dunno what it is called. That-day-where-everyone-fights-eachother-for-the-deals-and-all-hell-breaks-loose-and-little-kids-cry Day (aka. Too Much Esterogen Day)

That way if little Billy somehow got a PS3, mommy could buy him a PS3 game? Who knows...

It would have made more sense in early december, they would have had another few hundred thousand units...but ah well.

Thing I dont understand if you are are not buying a system why you are complaining about the launch? It has no effect on you, unless you work for the stores, then I feel rather bad for you.

17. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

The correct answer was Black Friday... Black Friday. No points for you.:)

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

How morbid...

I like my name better :D because all I see on CNN is people fighting over a sweater at Macys

19. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

They get one huge thing: Out by Black Friday (this is HUGE, because retailers don't want to talk about holiday space AFTER the big buying day of the year). This was covered well enough by other posters, so I wont go into it.

The other thing is: How many more units do you honestly think they will have by waiting 2 weeks to launch? I can tell you this, it won't be enough to make a difference. It isn't like they will be able to launch with 1 million units in the US by waiting 2 weeks, maybe 500k as an optimistic number.

20. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Dude that is just so priceless it MUST be posted again!

I have the same feeling about the N-Wii as well. Lets all see the first quarter shipment results and revenue results and market gain & drops of the PS3+Wii vs the X360. (3months starting this 11-17-06 that is).

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It does sound horrifically morbid! You'd never get away with calling a day "black" here. Least not with the radical minorities and that!

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

DS Lite launch went fine here. We got it a couple of weeks before the US, I didn't notice any queues for them when they were released.

I could go into town tomorrow and buy a white one, a black one and a pink one with no trouble whatsoever.

23. SBleed@mchsi.co macrumors member

SBleed@mchsi.co

Put it simply, Sony doesn't have enough units. People that want one will eventually get tired of waiting and move on. The Wii should be in abundance, as we've been lead to believe. PS3 is just a faster, prettier PS2 that's it. Wii has innovation.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

wait untill christmas...

it was the same last year around here... and then in december *BLAM* all DS sold out and supply didn't get in until mid january
    i think it was the first time a console sold out outside of the launch timeframe around here