the truth shall set you free

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mico, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Even if all that were true, and Reagan himself were directly responsible--which ain't so--it's a really sleazoid, low-rent way to speak of him.

Once somebody is dead, there's no point in nattering away against the person. His mistakes aren't to be repeated, of course; it's quite fair and reasonable to discuss them, but it's self-degrading to descend to mockery.

'Rat

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

imo, it's not reagan who's being mocked, it's those lionizing him

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not just lionizing him, but manufacturing an elaborate fiction around his presidency. I'm not dancing on the man's grave, and I think I've made it clear that I believe he should granted the respect anyone should be who's served as president. But by the same token, a lot of what we've heard over the past week has been complete fantasy-making.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think 7 days is about 6 days to long to wait to bury a body. He should have been buried within 24 hours, not dragged across the country and back. Geesh, have some respect for the dead, people. And it wasn't like he was a 40 year old who died. He was 93 years old. He lived a long life. It is the cycle of life and all.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, I've just never been into either lionizing or slamming. Both tend to bug me, but the former is a lot easier to ignore.

I'll admit that after funeral eulogies for someone who's life was not quite as beneficient as spoken of by the preacher, I've been known to quietly mutter, "Didn't sound like the person I knew." But it's rather uncool to hum that certain tune from the Wizard of Oz, "Ding, dong, the witch is dead..." Resist temptation.

'Rat

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That cartoon reminded me of a movie scene I saw this weekend:

[Joker] Yes, it's true that Carl Grissom was a gangster and a murderer. On the other hand, he had a tremendous singing voice. [/Joker]

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

reagan made mistakes? what kind of commie-laden alternative news are you watching? :p

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, some things Reagan did for which I'm quite thankful; some things he "let slide" and I didn't like the results. I can say the same thing for several presidents, though--and I've been here since most of FDR's era.

I learned many years ago to look not only at a president but also at the popular wisdom of the times and the forces within Congress before making any sort of judgement on a presidency.

On balance, Reagan was in no way some sort of little tin god, but he did far more good than harm. We certainly saw great improvement over the Carter years, and a continuation of that national period of "Oh, woe is us!" would have been a serious case of the Horribles.

'Rat

11. mico thread starter macrumors newbie

It never ceases to amaze me that some can't see beyond their own comfort zone. Glad you felt good during his time. I wonder if the victims of the death squads would agree.