The Turkish GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 20, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Round 14 of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship and the only new track of the season, and on first impressions after qualifying it's looking like a bit of a cracker.

I have to admit, I'm quite impressed with Herr Tilke's new track, it certainly seems to be a lot more challenging than his other circuits. A lot of this has to do with the topography of the location of course, but even then he appears to have heavily referenced other racing tracks.... notably Interlagos, Jerez/Estoril and even a little bit of Suzuka are reminiscent in it's form.

McLaren have looked immensely strong all weekend, reconfirming that they still have the quickest package on the grid. Kimi doing the deed with a remarkably measured and reserved lap to stick it on pole, with Montoya still able to snatch a second row grid slot even with the handicap of going out very early in the session.

Renault look composed, although lacking the raw pace of the McLaren, with Fisichella just edging out Alonso, expect to see Fisi suffer an unexpected pit 'problem' sometime tomorrow. :p

It's also quite incredible that after only 2 days running, it already has an established corner of notoriety within it's layout. The turn 8 sequence. :eek: catching out Villeneuve, Sato, Button, and the Schu brothers.

The notables from that is Sato and Schumacher Snr, both were quite strange incidents (unlike Villeneuve and Button who were over driving) Sato appeared to just understeer off the circuit on the entry to the corner, in an incident that from some angles reminded me of Senna's crash at Imola in '94, and Schumacher making it through the sequence only to swap ends on turn 9 in one of the most bizarre spins I've seen.

Anyway, I think the race should be a cracker, the circuit looks like it offers up different lines on certain corners, and compounded with the bumpy nature, turn 8 and the anti-clockwise direction (some drivers might suffer fitness issues) then we should see some good racing.

Qualifying

1. Räikkönen
    2. Fisichella
    3. Alonso
    4. Montoya
    5. Trulli
    6. Heidfeld
    7. Webber
    8. Massa

Race prediction

1. Räikkönen (easily if his car and neck can hold out)
    2. Alonso
    3. Montoya
    4. Fisichella (mysterious pit issue will rule him out)
    5. Heidfeld
    6. Schu Jr
    7. Button
    8. Massa

Thoughts?

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Kimi
    Montoya
    Alonso (1st curve problem)
    Fisico (Pit problem) :p
    Trulli

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

so what do you think to the new track? :)

And one just so knows that something's going to happen to Fisi tomorrow. :p

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

:D :D :D

Priceless, it just happened to fisico :p

BTW, what a wonderful track, can't wait to put my hand on the PS control!

:)

Edit: No, I'm not happy because Fisi got stuck in his pit stop, but somehow it always happen to him, god help him.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Almost half of the race and my predictions are on its way... ;)

Attached Files:

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

:mad:

It was looking fine for Mercedes till this $%@ing Jordan hit JPM, just 2 points off Alonso. :mad:

Good for Kimi!

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What a good race. Plenty of action, great track which actually seems to be good to drive on and watch. A good advert for modern F1 all round.

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

2 laps from nailing the top 5... man, so close :eek:

Congrats to Kimi, drove a tight race and did exactly what he needed to do... he did well to not get swallowed up by both Renaults at the start, and managed to nail Fisi after his mistake on the opening lap. Almost thought he'd thrown it away again towards the end when he went off and Sato took him :eek:

I can't believe Renault have got away with blatant teamorders :mad: Fisi gets shafted again. :rolleyes:

Montoya... well what can you say, sh*t happens, was an odd accident with Monteiro though, almost looked like that the Jordan just got sucked in behind him, very odd. Not really much you can say about his off though... he had to push with damage tyres (his front right had been skinny for 10-15 laps easy) and understeered straight off the corner, that's the 2nd Senna esque off I've seen on that corner, with Sato yesterday they just hit the bumps and went straight off, from the long camera angle the similarities to Senna's crash were spooky. :eek:

Button drove a cracking race, it's looking like the BAR-Honda has really got some pace now, they should be really strong at Monza and China, especially with THAT engine coming. :eek:

Another sorry race for Ferrari, although it was always going to be a difficult one on the old generation tyres. Schumacher had a cracking opening lap coming from joint last at the first corner to 11th at the end of lap one, AMAZING lap and incredible driving. :eek: Massive shame he got tangled up with Webber though, another instance of a driver who is a lap down taking unecessary risks, something Webber has developed a bit of a reputation for this season. Either way, Ferrari were 2 seconds a lap of the pace here... which is a massive margin to regain.

Still loving that track though... :D

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

indeed, a good race and a great track, it needs a very efficient driver/motor/tyre/ combination, to be honest, I wrote my top 4 100% sure of what I was doing but my 5th driver was oscillating between Trulli and Button, doesn't matter now, I know, but just to brag how good I feel lately as a F1 follower, ;) . I'm very sorry for JPM and his team, as it looked a perfect race for everybody in mercedes, but that's racing and hopefully those 2 points will not be the difference between Kimi and Fernando.

Monza won't be that fast for Renault, actually it wasn't today.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I didn't get to watch this one. It was over before I woke up on Sunday, and my hotel in Baltimore didn't get Speed anyway. I really need to change my fantasy lineup :(
    Rubens/Nick, Toyota chassis with BMW engines, and B-stones. tied for 247th for Turkey *tears*