The Two Shuffles vs. iPod mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by devilot, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm trying to convince my older sister to get a shuffle over a mini (and possibly myself, too) but both of us can't really decide between the 512MB and the 1 gig. Music library wise, I have a ton of music so these little puppies would be used mainly for running, studying (for her, I don't do that "s" thing), I would use it to transfer random documents from class computers and mine, and just whenever we feel like some tunes, I suppose. The reason I'm even considering the mini is for the screen, the way it looks (I like bright colors and that metal doo-hickey), and I'm used to my 3rd gen 20 gig iPod; oh yes, and she might get my PB if I get an ibook (so we could do the Student Union rebate). Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If you plan to use the iPod for sport the SHuffle is a better option as it is so light you can just throw it in your pocket and you'll forget its there, so its great for jogging and workouts..

unfortunatly it lacks the screen and extra storage of the mini.....

ShadOW :p

3. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thanks for the quick response; that was what I was thinking as well. The other unfortunate aspect is that the shuffles don't qualify for the rebate offer. Hee, that would be nifty if Apple would allow shuffles to qualify if the student purchased at least two.:p

4. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I agree as well a shuffle seems to be the best option, I have a 512mb and 120 songs is more than I need for a gym session or running. If you get a 1gig it may be handy for storage, but finding a certain music track will be a pain, I don't use the shuffle feature because there are some songs I prefer more than others.

5. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

The Shuffle is only suitable if you never want to navigate your music on the move, but it does have some advantages over the Mini:
    - It's cheaper.
    - It's smaller and lighter.
    - It has no moving parts.

As someone who only ever listens to songs on shuffle mode, I personally prefer the Shuffle.

6. deryk macrumors regular

I have both a shuffle (512 MB) and a 3G 40 GB iPod. I find that the shuffle is great for running and the gym. I don't mind not having a screen in those intances, but my music taste is not varied when I'm doing sports.
    edit: My iPod would skip often when I ran and I hate that! The shuffle never skips.

I like my iPod for when I travel and having my whole music library with me in my hotel or where ever I am.

Deryk

7. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

That is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear. If I get an iPod it'll be the 512MB and I'll pass this advice on to my sister. Thanks for all the input! I definitely agree; I don't like listening to any ol' music for working out so the lesser shuffle should suffice (<- woo! gotta love alliteration). I also never considered what a pain it would be to shuffle through a gig of music while trying to focus on my workout. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.