The Two Towers and ipods !

Discussion in 'Community' started by DangerDiabolik, Nov 22, 2003.

1. DangerDiabolik macrumors member

Sep 26, 2003

On the 4th disc of the big geeky Two Towers DVD theres a funny bit about how the animators used ipods to carry effects shots to and from working on them !

Pretty damn cool.
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    cool. i use mine to transport files to and fro work as well. thought i was the only one :)
  3. bidge macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    New Zealand
    anyone that wants a copy of just the iPod bit can get me on iChat

If someone can host it get in touch and I'll give it to them...
  4. bidge macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    New Zealand
    I have the file in uncompressed m2v and aiff as well as a 7MB MPEG 4 version. I can scale it to any size format that anyone wants, if someone can host it that would be good, then everyone can see it...
  5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Be careful when titling a thread after two towers and an iPod. People might think you are desktop crazy.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc

i use my ipod to transfer large photoshop files to and from computers all the time. its so much faster than emailing or cd's. there was a post a while back were we listed this as a bonus for someone considering an ipod over a regular mp3 player. i love my shiney firewire drive. :D
  7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I saw that part its on disk 3, and he almost got mugged by people wanting the footage!!
    Just goes to show you how cool iPods are!
  8. bidge macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    New Zealand
    It is on the fourth disc not the third, under visual effects, it's the second to last chapter about 20 minutes through...
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That will definitely be something to look forward to on the newest version. Is it really worth the additional cost to purchase the 4 DVD set? I already have the 2 DVD version.
  10. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Man, for being a geek you really didnt pay attention.

It wasnt the ANIMATORS who shuttled the iPods around, it was Mr. Jackson's assistants in London. :rolleyes:

For some reason or another (They didnt go into detail) Peter Jackson had to be in London for an extended period of time. SO, the tech guys teamed up with some IT guys and put together a "fat pipe" from New Zealand to London. Unfortunately, the hotel in which Jackson was staying at couldnt jack into the fat pipe, so his assistants loaded all the data onto iPods a couple blocks away and hoofed it to him for dailies. And yes, they did say that one of the assistants was almost mugged and had to sprint his ass off to get away from them. Im not sure if they knew he had an iPod filled with a two towers rough cut, or just wanted an iPod...

But anyway, Id like to get my hands on that fat-pipe connection for some for-real UT gaming now! :D

And yes, if you are into LOTR, this is a must have collection. I sure did waste away my weekend in from of the TV. The guys (and gals) at WETA are just freakin amazing. And I also learned that a weta (from which the studio hails its name) is a large, cricket-like insect. I guess it plagued the set one day and sent Jackson into a tizzy.