The Two Towers

Discussion in 'Community' started by taeclee99, Jul 9, 2002.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I can't believe this petition is real. It is the gayest thing I have ever heard of in my enitre life.

http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/petition.html

To: Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema
    Those of us who have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring know what an amazing director Peter Jackson is. When I learned that there apparently was to be a sequel, I was overjoyed. However, Peter Jackson has decided to tastelessly name the sequel "The Two Towers". The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center. In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgiveable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant. Hopefully, when Peter Jackson and, more importantly, New Line Cinema see the number of signatures on this petition, the title will be changed to something a little more sensitive.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Attached Files:

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Like my sig says Political Corectness is out of hand!!!! ITs the title of the book, which was done way before the twin towers were built. People make big deals over everything! Sheesh give me a break.
    Oh guess what the petition no longer works cuase the user gave up:eek: :rolleyes: :p

3. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I agree with your sentiment that p.c. has gotten out of hand.
    I believe that political correctness is the greatest threat to our freedom and democracy that we face.

When I was in college my liberal professors tried to indoctinate us into believing that p.c. is a good thing. Anyone with openly intolerant views in the class were labled as "closed minded bigots."

I really thought that after the horrific events of 9-11, things would change for the better. I believed that Americans from that moment on would do what is right for the country, not what is politically correct. However, with both political parties unwilling to do anything about our security holes at the U.S. border and failure to acknowledge that racial profiling can be used in a constructive, Americans are doomed to endure more 9-11 like attacks.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've said before...and I'll continue to say it...

as much of a gift it is to have it...free speech is going to continue to cause controversy & bite us all in the ass... :rolleyes:

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

While I agree that political correctness is out of hand, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!!

Racial profling is *illegal*. Following the law is , IMO, something that should always be in the highest priority. It is what defines this country.

This is a point of view I can never agree with and will never agree with. It should have nothing to do with liberal vs. conservative. Its about following the law and giving very citizen of this country the same freedoms and rights.

THAT is what America is all about.

Taft

6. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

SCREW Political correctness!!!

If I want to make fun of people for their race, religion, sexual preferences, disabilities, etc. I will.

How ya'll like them apples?

hehehehehe.....this should be good ;) :D

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Other things should be changed to

In that case:

I think I'll go start a petition to have the emergency phone number (911) chaged to something less offensive because the attack happened on 9-11.

Oh wait, I'm not a dip****

****ing moron!

8. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

You say its "about following the law and giving very citizen of this country the same freedoms and rights." That is nice and well intentioned but let's get one thing straight. Nineteen of the twenty 9-11 terrorists came from Arab countries not from France. It would be foolish and naive not to profile people from these nations.

Most Muslims living in this country (the US) are good and decent people who do not harbor terrorist sentiments. However, the cold fact is the matter is that there are a sizeable number of muslim men out there who hate the U.S. and it's values. These men hate us with such venom that they were willing to destroy the WTC killing thousands. Israel has been racially profiling people for years. When is the last time you heard of EL-AL being hijacked?

I would not fly with an airline if I knew that it does not racially profile their passengers as a practice. If you want to fly on such an airlline that is your right. Are you telling that that you would feel the same about a group of arab men on your flight as say a group of nuns?

Racial profiling of these men is an unpleasnt but necessary "evil." If we choose the "politically correct" path under the umbrella of our Constitution and do not racially profile, devastating consquences will result.

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

a quote comes to mind, "I'm not racist, I hate everybody!"

10. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Other things should be changed to

Hahahahahaha

Attached Files:

11. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

And what if it is arab nuns? :D

groovebuster

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

There are militia groups in Michigan who hate the government. There are people in Central and South America who hate the US. There are people in China who hate us. Bosnia too. Spain has groups who routinely bomb and attack the population of that country. Last time I checked, the highest crime rates in Chicago were in poor neighborhoods that are overwhelmingly black.

So, by your logic, should we start racially profiling all of these groups?? Black man behind the wheel?? Lets pull him over. You see a Latin-looking man carrying a large box down the street?? Better take him into custody.

You say that Isreal has been racially profiling for years?? Well they've also been drawn into a period of extended violence with no end in sight. Somehow I don't think their example is a "success story".

While you may be willing to give up your civil liberties and the liberties of the other citizens of this country, I am not. There are many methods of law enforcement that do not require the erosion of our civil rights. We must search for alternate methods of finding criminals and would be terrorists.

We are becoming more and more of a global community. Our population is becoming more diverse. We need to continue to foster the global environment and support people of all races both domestically and abroad.

Someday (and hopefully sooner rather than later) the US will realize that it cannot continue to live in its world of self serving politics. That will be a day that I rejoice because it will mean a better life for everyone.

Taft

13. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

The last time I checked the 9-11 terrorists were of Arabic descent, not Chinese, South American, Bosnian or Spanish. Our beef is not with terrorists of all stripes but with Islamic fundamentalists. When I advocate racial profling I mean it in a narrow sesnse against islamist terrorists. I am not referring to hispanics and blacks for ordinary crimes. A group of arab men hijacking four planes destroying the wtc and the pentagon is not the moral equivalent of a black/hispanic mugging someone. The former is an attack on entire nation. The latter is an attack against an individual. Hardly the same.

Two recent major polls have founds that a suprising number of blacks favor racial profiling of arabs at airport checks. The Boston Globe for instance reports that 71 percent of black respondents to a Gallup Poll said they would favor more intensive security checks for Arabs, including those who are U.S. citizens, before they boarded airplanes.

Yes we do live in a more diverse country now. We as Americans of all stripes should put aside out petty differences and cling to the values that unite us. Values such as commitment to democracy, freedom of speech, freedom to worship, and individualism. These are the values that make America what it is and in my opinion the best country on Earth.

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

What you don't understand is that this starts our whole system down the slippery slope towards less tolerance for minorities.

If blacks support racial profiling now, they shouldn't. They have been screaming for years--and rightly so-- that racial profiling against *them* was unconstitutional. Now they are saying they want to do it to another group. Well, those who were polled, just like you, are very misinformed.

Since you thought my last argument wasn't valid, lets try this one. Do you remember the last time "racial profiling" was used in this country during a time of war? (and I use that loosely because I don't think we really are at war now.) WWII with the Japanese. Remember the internment camps? Remember how America was willing to completely strip the rights of a few to secure the safety of all?

I for one am not willing to start down the slope of the removal of people's right based on their ethnicity. It is unconstitutional. It is racist. It is punishing good American citizens--be it black, arab, latin, whatever--because of the actions of a very small group.

You said, "Values such as commitment to democracy, freedom of speech, freedom to worship, and individualism." Well, my friend, those are not the only values we enjoy in tthis country. Our constitution provides those and many more.

What you are suggesting we do is to hold onto those laws and rights that YOU enjoy and hold dear and throw out the ones inconveniencing YOU. Like equality of all men and women in the eyes of the law. I cannot support you in this. I will never support you in this.

When we start trampling the rights of the few we end up no better than China, who tramples the rights of those few who speak out against Communism. Sure WE protect speach. But souldn't we also protect the "act" of being a particular race. Shouldn't that few get the rights that the rest of us enjoy???

If you don't get it by now, you never will.

Taft

15. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

A quick anecdote...

I was talking to a friend of mine, who happens to be of Iranian decent, just the other day. I hadn't shaved my face in probably three or four days and I was taking a plane to Minneapolis that day.

He asked me why I hadn't shaved in a while. I said I didn't know and asked him why he asked me about it. He said that if he were not to shave for a few days and tried to get on a plane, they'd probably take him into custody for questioning.

I laughed at the time. But when I thought about it later it dawned on me how true it was. It became less funny then.

Taft

16. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Thank you for your well reasoned arguments. Your commitment to individual liberty and constitional rights is something I can admire.
    We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I am looking forward to butting heads with you in the futire.

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I want a petition to remove September 11 from the calendar. It's a painful date for the families and to console them September should be shortened to 10 days. :rolleyes:

18. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Hilarious! :)

I also think we should remove the numbers "9" and "11" from the numerbing system in any and every way. Oh. And Porcshe should stop making the 911 and recall exisiting "911" models back to have the name removed and changed to something less offensive.

19. bonehead macrumors regular

Although Taeclee99 has taken the very reasonable position of agreeing to disagree I'd like to pose a question. The previous "worst terrorist" event in U.S. history* was committed by Timothy McVeigh and his partner, both caucasian males. Do you, Taeclee99, then suggest this is an argument in favor of the racial profiling of all caucasian males travelling to/within the U.S.? I'm guessing you are a caucasian male, many advocates of racial profiling seem to fit that description.

*Please note that the attack on Pearl Harbor was an act of war by a sovereign nation that declared war on the United States and as such is not counted as a terrorist attack.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

interesting points

while i support our troops, the fbi, the cia, the nsa, the local police, the right to bear arms, airline pilots to carry sidearms, and airport security to walk around armed and undercover in airports and on airplanes, i think that racial profiling in wrong

many of the people stopped in airports in texas, california, and arizona were middle eastern looking but were actually of hispanic descent

some asians of mixed heritage and certainly indians and pakastanis could be mistakened for "plo"

caucasian people of mediterranean descent or any dark complected caucasian person might be mistaken for a middle eastern terrorist

beards on nearly anybody who does not have red or blond hair can make someone look like a middle eastern terrorist

any blue collar worker who works under the sun can achieve dark enough skin to look like a middle eastern terrorist

in the california restaurant that is below our apartment, there are several men who could be mistakened for sadaam hussein and one man looks like kadaffi

this is why racial profiling is dangerous

21. ponyboy macrumors regular

For a good laugh go check out the signiatures on that thing, but speaking of PC if you are at all sesitive about homosexuality, swearwords, racism, etc. be forewarned, the posts to that petition hold nothing back

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The signers of the petition definitely put things in perspective. It now becomes an almost totally useless document - which only encourages me to think that there will be no bowing to pressure and changing the name. Good!

Really funny what some had to say:D