The U.S. GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jun 18, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Just a quick one today... even though I missed posting for the last 2 races (for those not in the know, I've been sampling some of Bavaria's finest V10's myself ;)) qualifying has just finished and Trulli has nicked it for Toyota's first ever pole position.

However, the big news of the event, is that Michelin have requested that they be allowed to ship over new 'Barcelona' spec tyres for their teams, as they've admitted that it's unlikely that their current tyres will last the race distance.

Indeed such is the seriousness of the situation, Renault have already stated that they won't race with their current tyres, and BAR-Honda and Red Bull Racing are awaiting clarification with regards to their decision. Only McLaren seem happy with the tyre.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, because Brundle speculated that they'd be in breach of around 5 regulations if the teams do swap rubber, which surely cannot go unpunished?

Funnily it comes only a couple of weeks after the FIA issued a statement to the teams warning that the tyres should be durable enough to complete a race distance, without safety concerns.

Qualifying

1. Trulli
    2. Räikkönen
    3. Button
    4. Fisichella
    5. Schumacher
    6. Alonso
    7. Barrichello
    8. Sato.

That order might change though pending the outcome of the Michelin crisis.

Thoughts?

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    guess i'll be watching this one as i'm stateside...missed a race or two this season, saw some top stuff so far mind.

so how about some write ups about your test drives or whatever you've been up to eh???? or did i miss those already?

what exactly am i missing this year though, why is schuey not challenging for anything these days??

oh, and my bet is, kimi will win (or alonso) :)

3. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

raikkonen for the win, probably first by the first corner, providing no mechanical failures. Now i have to stay up till 3:30 am to watch it

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Never one to be different, I'm thinking Kimi too. :)

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

You haven't, I've not had time to write them up yet... in a nutshell it involved the new M5 :) but not the 'Ring though :(

Several reasons... but basically rule changes designed at stopping their domination. Been that way since 2002.

I forget how bad it must be for you guys down their, I hate getting up early to watch the Aussie and Japanese GP, but you guys have to do that for a large chunk of the season, kudos. ;)

Anyway... Michelingate continues... at the moment their request for a temp chicane at Turn 13 has been turned down, as seemingly has their request to be allowed to use new 'Barcelona' spec tyres.

And rightly so IMHO.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I honestly can't believe the stance Michelin are taking on this... unbelievable. :mad: wanting to change the tyre specs or wanting the layout of the circuit changed and if the FIA don't, then they'll throw a paddy and won't compete... or in otherwords. Blackmail.

Rinky dink link

7. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

It is a bit childish of Michelin really isn't it. They've known about the problems awaiting them with the Indie track for months now and should have thought about it beforehand. Let's hope that it isn't just a six car race this afternoon though ;)

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

how bizzare!

i know michelin are in trouble, but once again ferarri are being childish.

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

???????
    I can't believe you want to peg this on ferrari!!!
    man, some people really WANT to be blind!

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well to be honest, i cant actually watch it - we are having a thunder storm and all tv is off (bummer had better be back for top gear). i know it is michelins problem, but if ferarri had voted to put in a chicane in the last lap the race would have happened. surely there could have been some form of compromise - all bridgestone drivers start ahead of the michelins. there are about 150000 people there who have paid good money to see a race, one could have happend but ferarri were the only team to stop it happening at that point.

11. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

Well it is! The public is angry and leaving, some are throwing garbage on the track. It isn't much of a competition, really...

12. russed macrumors 68000

russed

f1 has been getting stupid for a few years now. the politics is crazy and now this just takes the biscuit.

13. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Well because Bridgestone and associated with Firestone who supply tyres for the Indie cars... why should they have an advantage... why is it even being raced there on their stupid track?? there arn't any American teams in the race anyway.

14. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Watching the ITV coverage - I can't understand why everyone seems to be blaming the FIA, Ferrari, the Michelin teams, Indianapolis circuit officials, the drivers, Ecclestone etc etc.

No-one seems to have a bad word to say about Michelin, who in my opinion are entirely responsible for the problem.

Michelin are paid millions to develop tyres for each race-track and they have got this one totally wrong. They should be compensating the teams, the spectators etc, but no-one seems to blame them at all. Martin Brundle is the worst - he doesn't seem to understand that this is serious sport and there are rules that have to be followed. They can't just change the rules or the track because Michelin messed up.

Or am I missing something?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

16. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Michael wins.

I cannot believe why everyone blames Ferrari. Its Michelins fault. Period.

17. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I think Max Mosley is the one to blame. His lack of understanding the F1 motorsports and refusal to bend the rules to accomodate thousand of spectator who has paid hard working money on this event is the cause in all of this.

18. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

It is a very sad day for the sport and formula one. I am not sure why you blame Mosley.

But again - very very sad day for the sports and for everyone who went there and paid a lot of money.

:mad: :(

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i blame them all together.. michelin for the tyres, all the teams for not getting a agreement, the FIA who weren't able to prevent this farce and perhaps even the track itself...i mean a track who is in worse condition than normal streets ..

well at least the 3. austrian got his points this year... looks like that's a record for a century

20. mac-er macrumors 65816

I didn't think anyone watched the U.S. Grand Prix in the U.S.

21. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

I watched it... just to see how the fans reacted at the end. I'd be pretty pissed if I paid $85-180 to watch a quality race just to see 6 cars (4 of which bring up the rear in the points) parade around a race track. I'd be asking for a refund... not sure if I would get it though. But I agree you do have to blame Michellin for the fiasco. Can't blame the Bridgestone teams for running nothing was wrong with their tires. Should be an interesting race in Magny-Cours as far a the points standings are concerned.

22. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Can anyone please answer my question? The teams wanted a chicane in the last lap to have less speed. Why didn't they just drive slower in this lap instead of blaming the raceway?

23. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Don't get me wrong - I am sorry for the fans today - but $85 is cheap for F1.

Its £95 for the cheapest ticket at the British GP ($173.43)

24. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

It could be dangerous with the 6 bridgestone cars still going full speed.

25. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Well from what the Speed Channel said was that they wanted a chicane at turn 13 to slow the cars down. This would have stayed throughout the race. Teams also said that they would have 3 practice laps to get used to the track configuration but Trulli would not have been able to complete these 3 laps because he didn't have enough fuel. Talk about running light. :eek: And yes $85 is pretty cheap compared to other tracks (although this isn't really a track built for F1 just one built inside an oval) but its not cheap when you're a poor starving college student as I am. :) I was actually considering going to see this race too.