The U.S. GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jun 18, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So here we are, only a week after the Canadian GP we now come to the self styled home of motorsport. The Brickyard. :D

Again, and much like Montreal, this is very much a season highlight, I love the fact that we get to see F1 cars on part of the famous oval. I would have loved to have seen them incorporate more of it though, maybe a couple of more turns so that we could really get an impression of just exactly how fast an F1 car could go on an oval track. :D

I'm not sure what to expect at the Brickyard for this season because of it's change of date on the calendar, but also how some of the other teams performed on Michelins during quali last week for Montreal.

Ferrari have always gone strong here, and certainly the F2004 is looking strong at all circuits, Bridgestone are bringing 4 different compounds (Michelin only the 2) so hopefully the lack of Bridgestones one lap pace might be 'bridged' so to speak here at Indy. Either way Schu was supreme here in 2002 and 2003 and I'm expecting much of the same this weekend even more so if the predicted changeable weather hits race day.

I'm expecting BAR to be their closest competitors even though they were off the pace in low downforce trim at Montreal, they've got a tight engine in the Honda and a sorted chassis, so it's hard to discount them from doing well this weekend. I'm still interested to see if Sato continues to go quicker than Button. Once he can keep it on the circuit, and Honda can give him an engine that can last the distance, Button wlll really have his hands full. ;)

Williams should also be up there, although their car is solid in low downforce trim, the medium downforce settings for Indy might upset them alittle in pace, but again they should figure in the upper regions of the grid and race especially if Ralf has finally found his form this season.

Renault is abit of an unknown quantity here, I didn't expect them to go as quick as they did at Montreal, so they could be seriously on the pace this weekend. Although considering their lack of power, expect them to be overtaken on the oval section should they be leading. Watch their starts also. It's one hell of a drag down to the first corner ;)

McLaren, will still be over a second off the leaders in pure race pace, but this is likely to be the last outing for the MP4-19 as they're likely to race the 19B in Magny Cours 2 weeks from now. DC will finish likely between 6th to 8th, and Kimi will blow up, around lap 20. ;)

So then... gentlemen start your engines :D

Thoughts??

2. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Five blown engines in eight races? If Sato spins during quali or loses another engine I'm going to upgrade his status from "bad luck" to "cursed". :D

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I know... it's unfortunate really because he's been quicker than Button for the last 3 races in race trim, but lady luck just hasn't gone his way.

I'm not sure what to make of the reports doing the rounds that his driving style is helping to cause the failures as he's apparently nowhere near as smooth as Button on the throttle, so it'll be interesting to see if it is just bad luck, his driving technique or the result of Honda giving their own, more powerful but less reliable equipment. (Honda have done it before).

Anyway, first practice starts in alittle over 15 minutes. Live Timing here.

http://www.formula1.com/

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm gonna get some food and watch the last 1.5 hours of practice. :D

I can't wait to watch the race, Speed Channel has some really sweet plans for it. One of the commentators said during the race with that neat pit lane cam (Nurburgring right?) "If you like this, just wait for what we have in store for the USGP" :eek: :D

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

damn... does the Speed Channel show practice sessions as well? or is it just unique to the U.S. GP???

I can't believe Bernie axed the F1 Digital Channel a couple of seasons ago... blinding coverage was that :(

Now we're stuck with ITV and quite possibily the most annoying person on the planet in James Allen :eek: :rolleyes: :p

6. craigdawg macrumors 6502

They show practice and quali live for all the races, not just the USGP.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Actually, they're showing EVERYTHING this weekend, instead of Friday practice/Quali/Race like usual. linakge

PS: I absolutely CAN'T WAIT for the race in Shanghai, the track map looks insane! :eek:

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont really like the us gp. the race just isnt as exciting as others

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Did you watch it last year? Or how about the year before? I think it's a ****load better than the new Hockenheim.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah the crippling of the hockenheim was really bad... _that_ races were always exciting... i wonder who designed the new one :mad:... it's a joke

11. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

They ruined Hockenheim, it was a unique circuit, although I don't think the races were particularly great, it favoured power and wasn't much of a drivers circuit, especially when compared to the likes of Spa.

The U.S. GP last year was one of the best of the year, with multiple leader changes, changeable weather and people spinning out. I'm not expecting the same this year though. :D

Looking at the grid, and the consistancy and speed of the Ferrari's it's very much looking like another 1-2 for them. I don't think BAR will be a match over the race distance judging by their fastest laps in comparison to Ferrari during the last couple of races (anything from half to a second+ difference) and Bridgestone is certainly the more consistant of the two tyre teams.

Rubens has held the advantage in all but one practice session over Schu, but had Schu not had a ragged 2nd sector in quali they would have been even less between them. As for the strategy, I'm thinking that Rubens has 1 lap more than Schu, he's looked pretty awesome so far around here, so I don't think he's on pole because he's running light, I just think he's dialled in more.

It's going to be a close race, Ross Brawn has already said that they're free to race, so it's should be a cracker. I think alot depends on the start though, it's a fantastic drag down to the first turn, and with Schu on the dirty side, I think he's got to worry more about Sato than trying to race Rubens into the first corner. If it's a Ferrari 1-2 after the first turn, they'll walk it. ;)

My prediction. (and I bet it's totally wrong) :p

1. Rubens
    2. Schu
    3. Button
    4. Montoya
    5. R. Schu
    6. Alonso

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ferrari 1-2; schumi 80 points, montoya black flagged, ralf hospitalized, major crashes!!! i put my foot in my mouth this was one very eventfull grand prix!!!

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Bit of a bummer for Button and BAR, but at least Sato found his way onto the podium.

Next season I think BAR will knock Renault off the runner up slot, which, after Ferrari's continued domination, is the best I can hope for in 2005.

Ho hum.

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Incredible race... with some incredible action. :D

The first restart pass n' drag by Schu on Rubens was truly awesome, to judge a move to 0.0 of a second of the start line.... :eek: incredible stuff. :D

Must say though, seeing Ralf crash like that, and then not have him move for quite a while bought back memories of Ratzenbergers and Senna fatal crashes 10 years ago, even down to the helicopter shots of him still in the car... :( hopefully he'll be alright, but I can't see him racing for atleast the next race, and possibly the one after as he's still in recovery from that huge Monza testing crash last year.

Montoya was unlucky to be black flagged... he had lucked in with the SC periods after having to start from the pitlane.

Driver of the day though, must go to Sato, again he's showing some serious speed and the ability to overtake in the most unusual of ways, apart from that off track excursion overtaking Trulli, Sato drove pretty much flawlessly his race was somewhat spoiled by BAR crappy strategy but again he's really shown a clean pair of heels to Button and IMHO is beginning to make him look somewhat ordinary.

I'm off to finish watching the football now... :D

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

luck?

I always think it's a stroke of luck to be going backwards on impact, except maybe when a concrete wall and 190mph are involved.

phew, luck chappy.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think it's unbelievable how safe the F1 cars are nowadays.

Ralf seemingly only has bruises! Gr8!

Sato is really gonna be my new hero.... I love watching people like him race.

Too bad Barrichello couldn't hold off his stop for one more lap orso, to get 23 secs in front of Michael before pitting...

Still, most exciting race of 2004!

17. oreo macrumors member

What a gripping race. Glad to hear Ralf is going to be ok.

18. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

it's also kind of freaky how the tethers allow all the wheels to stay on as well... that looks really strange after a crash. :eek:

if he'd have had that crash, at that speed only 15 years ago, he'd have been in serious trouble, it was a big shunt and I think the HANS device more than played it's part.

seemed to take an age for him to get any form of medical attention though, and initially with him sat in the car with his head not moving and tilted to one side was exactly like how Ratzenberger and Senna were when their cars came to a stop 10 years ago, sent a chill down my spine did that. F1 was lucky yesterday. Very, very lucky.