The UCAS Thread (UK University Applications)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wes, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while. I'm interested to hear how people's applications are going.

I applied to study Computer Science at:

Cambridge
    Imperial College London (CS:AI too).
    King's College London
    University College London
    Royal Holloway

So far I have been offered interviews at UCL and Imperial. I've also been given a conditional offer to KCL with 34 IB points.

How are your applications going?

2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Whoa, those are some hefty uni's you have put down.

I take it you are going all out for route A?

I've only just started the process by writing my personal statement, difference is, I am going to apply to an Art Uni nowhere near London. Too expensive.

I'm going Route A and B.

3. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Route A? Not a term I have come across during my application process. Care to explain?

4. oreo macrumors member

Just wanted to say good luck with the applications & interviews. I remember how awful it was a couple of years ago when I wrote my personal statement.

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

When applying for uni, their are two routes, A and B. They both have +'s and -'s.

Route A is for people who would be apply just after or before christmas, they get 6 options as well to choose from. Route B is simply the course you can take at around March time but you only can have 3 options for choosing a uni.

The advantage for route A is that you have more choices, the downside is you might not have enough work with which to show at interview.

Route B gives you less options but you have more time to build up the portfolio for the interviews. Whether this applies to you and other students I don't know, i'm an art student and this is the application process for us... :)

Now I said I was doing both, what I will do is choose 3 for Route A and save the other 3 for Route B. I cannot choose the same uni twice btw regardless of which route it is in. I think personally I have enough work to have a chance, but I have a feeling that my tutor thinks otherwise, oh well. I'll find out soon sometime this week.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congratulations on your conditional acceptance goodluck

7. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Sent my ucas off monday this week so should get some offers next week.
    applying for Economics at:
    university College london (UCL)
    London School of Economics (LSE)
    Warwick
    York
    Nottingham
    Durham
    Pretty much the top uni's for economics in the U.K. and i have been predicted 4 A's at A-level for Business Studies, Maths, Geography and Economics.
    I really hope all this work pays off, i have 19 exams in january...looks like it is going to be a hectic period! My first choice is L.S.E because i LOVE London (especially with the new Apple Store :p) and the uni and its international rep.
    Fredstar

8. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Sounds good! I have an interview at UCL on Wednesday so that will be interesting. I'm off to Imperial on the 1st of December too.

Keep us updated!

9. oreo macrumors member

10. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Good luck with the interviews mate :)
    The only reservation i have about London is the accomodation is much more expensive than other uni's, but i really really want to go
    Fredstar

11. scouseben macrumors newbie

Which Cambridge college are you applying to?

12. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I applied open but I have been assigned to Fitzwilliam.

Comments on that?

What is Cambridge's stance on macs?

13. scouseben macrumors newbie

Fitzwilliam's one of the more modern colleges - has a really good swing band, and good "club" (don't hold too many expectations in Cambridge on a big city nightlife) nights. But in all of the colleges, the teaching system is pretty similar throughout.

Not really sure about distance from department, as I'm a 1st year engineer. However the college networks (well mine,anyhow) are pretty mac-friendly, and there are quite a significant number of people in my college who use macs (probably a higher percentage than on my course - but that's a story for another time.)

However, don't be put off by the fact that the CS department has somewhat of an affiliation with Microsoft - speaking to a 2nd yr compsci (as they are known in these parts) who uses macs, and apparantly in one of his first lectures, the lecturer took a straw poll of how many mac users were in the year. There were only a few, but the lecturer said straight away that those who used macs would be the ones getting firsts! So I guess it pays to use macs.

Good luck with interviews and such

14. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

UCL interview went very well he only asked me one questions which I answered to his satisfaction. I got a letter yesterday saying that I would receive and offer in due course, provided there were no unforeseen problems.

15. russed macrumors 68000

russed

fitzwilliam is quite nice. i know someone who went there and has an interview there in a few weeks.

i remember my good old uni application days. i used to check everday only for the lse to take ages ange ages to reject me (like after easter) when i have applied on something like the 20th september.

for the person who is applying to york, being at it i can reccomend it. if you have any queations about it pm me. i appear to have applied to have applied to most of them or know people there so can give feedback on them. i am doing ppe.

york is a healthy apple uni! i know of several apple users and the uni network people actually know what they are! we nearly actually planned a trip to the opening of the london store had it not been for work!

16. oreo macrumors member

I wish the could be said for the uni I'm at. Mac's never get mentioned, I'm know I'm studying nursing but we still have IT. :rolleyes: In the IT labs there is loads of IBM & Microsoft posters. I've got an assignment to write about protecting information within an IT evironment, so have to mention virus' know I can't say if they had Mac's this won't be a problem, as I'm sure there'd fail me for it.

17. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I just checked my application online and I have a 34-point IB offer from UCL :). 6 in higher-level Maths and standard-level English, neither extremely difficult.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'm in yr 12 now, but i'm thinking about where to go anyway.

I'm taking far too many subjects: maths, further maths, physics, electronics, chemistary and cisco systems (we do IT essentials, ccna 1 & 2 which equates to 2x a-levels in ucas points)

idealy i'd like to take a course that combines cs and physics as they are the two subjects i like the most. (i'm going to drop chemistary :eek:)

though i did not do that brilliantly on my gcse's because i got what i needed for my subjects in my mocks so i thought bugger this and did no work, i got 2x A's 2x B's and the rest C's. (11 subjects including triple science)

19. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Well UCAS forms are almost due for route A so why not bump this thread.

My applications have been going pretty well. I got pooled at Cambridge, which is a bit of a let down. I do have offers from all my other places, including Imperial, which is looking even more and more likely as my place of choice next year.

20. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I got 4 conditions (Strathclyde University) and 2 unconditional offers (University of Glasgow). I'm going to do Bsc Maths/Physics at University of Glasgow, and because I'll be in the Science faculty I need to take a third subject, which will be Computer Science.