The Ultimate console debate... :)

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, May 17, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Bill Gates has an XBox 360. The President of Sony has a PlayStation 3. Reggie Fils-Amine has a Revolution.

The three get in an arena and have to duel using the consoles as clubs.

Who wins? :D

Reggie is probably the most physically fit of the three, but has the smallest console...
    Bill Gates is a scrawny nerd, and the President of Sony is pretty small, but they both have huge systems...

Who wins?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Sony. Then Microsoft. Then Nintendo.

As always.

10 years Nintendo turns into another Sega.

Enjoy the revolution. Its the end.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The thought I had was that Reggie could pull a Peter Pan- use his smaller console to deflect the large one, then attack hand to hand. Reggie could take Bill any day :D

BTW. You are very cynical... :p No WAY Nintendo is dropping out of the console race. They made more money than Sony did on this last round of console wars. In fact, they made more money than Sony and MS put together (easy since Microsoft's numbers were negative). That's plenty to sustain them through even another flop, which I highly doubt this will be.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Hehehe i knew that would start something ;)

Actually Nintendos new system does look pretty slick..... but 2 HD outputs Damn!!!! :eek:

5. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Reggie would jot down "Bill Gates" and the name of the Sony President, then kick their ass. :p

6. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Where are you getting these numbers that Nintendo made more money on GameCube than Sony and Microsoft did on PS2 and XBox? I do not believe that is possible. I know MS lost quite a bit of money with XBox because they had an expensive console sold at an inexpensive price. However, that is Microsoft and they have enough money in the bank to operate the XBox division in the red for a long time and strong-arm themselves into the gaming market - hate it or like it - this is a fact and MS will be in gaming for a years to come.

So perhaps the Big N brought in more money than MS, but not Sony, no way. Perhaps if you are talking overall profits, then maybe because of the huge success of the Gameboy line. However, the PSP smokes the GBA and DS. Yes it is more expensive, but not that much more than the DS and it kicks its @$$. Nintendo will be losing ground in the portable market to the PSP. The new Gameboy Micro thing is a joke.

I love Nintendo and have always supported them. I've had every console they have released since the NES (sans VirtualBoy). I think most of their first party titles are excellent, despite the fact that in recent years most are just rehashes instead of fresh concepts. Still, Nintendo's games focus on gameplay, fun and innovation. Shigeru Miyamoto is a genius. Even with these great titles, I will probably not be buying a Revolution for the following reasons.

1. Nintendo's hardware is getting worse over time in comparison to what the competition offers and the specs for Revolution would indicate this trend will continue.
    2. They have been losing a ton of third party support - this is probably the biggest thing hurting the Big N.
    3. Nintendo has become too arrogant. I was very frustrated when the president of Nintendo stated that their customers did not want online gaming. I was their customer, I wanted online gaming. Don't tell me what I want, I'll tell you. Low and behold after online console gaming takes off, Nintendo wakes up and realizes... I guess they do want online gaming. Surprise!
    4. Nintendo still thinks I'm eight years old. I'm 26, unlike Mario, Link and Samus... I do age, Nintendo. If I want to play bloody games with characters that curse like sailors, that's my prerogative. Don't discourage third parties from making the games your clientele wishes to play.

I might sound bitter and that is because I am. Nintendo makes great games but only a fanboy would deny that they have made quite a few missteps in the past several years. Personally, I believe Nintendo could flourish as a software-only company. I think going the Sega route would be a smart move for them. They don't seem to understand the console hardware market nearly as well as Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has always made great games, but I don't think they make the best consoles. They should stick to what they do best. I fear their arrogance may ruin my hopes though. The president of Nintendo has been quoted before as saying that (paraphrasing) "the day Nintendo stops making consoles is the day Nintendo closes it doors." I fear he is serious about that statement and that unfortunately the latter will be the case. I'm cautiously optimistic that I am wrong.

7. angelneo macrumors 68000

Sony, based on the merit of the console size

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

In profits, not revenue, Nintendo trounces Microsoft and just outdoes Sony.

You are right. Nintendo got arrogant. That's why we have a NEW CEO, and a NEW head of marketting. That is why this generation, Square Enix has rejoined Nintendo and is praising their new console (the previous Nintendo CEO broke relations with Square Enix and started mouthing off about how terrible they were to the press, completely destroying relations).

Nintendo is changing. New leadership, new direction. Satoru Iwata is making a huge deal about regaining third parties.

I don't know what you're talking about specs. The DS and PSP aren't in the same price categories at all so they can't be compared. The GameCube trounces the higher-priced PS2.

PSP trouncing Nintendo is a joke. It's like saying Alienware will trounce HP, Dell, or one of the others, just because it has better specs and costs way more. The DS has outsold the PSP 2x so far and GBA way more. And the capabilities of the DS means that some people who can afford the PSP *still* go with the DS, because graphics isn't everything.

For profits, see the table here:
    http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11760&page=5

The trick is that Nintendo made a notable profit on every GameCube sold and sold a lot more first party games (first party games are more profitable than third party) while Sony broke even on PS2's and sold much more third party than first. The GameCube's 15% market share is worth more in profitableness.

9. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Thanks for those numbers, I stand corrected and surprised. Your explanation of the profit margins makes sense.

Also, I was thinking of Hiroshi Yamauchi. I seem to be out of date on my console gaming news... now that I'm out of college, working I don't have enough time to play my console games, let alone keep up on gaming news. I hope the new CEO turns things around. I would like to be wrong, but I still have my doubts.

As for the PSP/GB, my comparisons on price were minimizing the difference. It is twice as much, but I wouldn't spend $150 on a DS, doesn't seem worth the money. For $300 you get a lot with the PSP. Maybe my perspective is skewed now that I'm an older gamer and a single, working professional with more disposable income. I read the average age of a gamer is now 29. In addition to trying to revive 3rd party support and add online gaming support Nintendo needs to stop soley focusing on the children's gaming market - us adult gamers are here to stay.

I still believe Nintendo could thrive as a games-only company. I know there is a lot of money to be made on the licensing side of the market, but they have such a huge library of great titles. I would think making multiplatform games they could make a killing and perhaps still keep their portable line, just exit the home console biz. I mean just look at the numbers EA was putting up in that link you provided.

10. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

hmm.. I believe something is happening... The new, more mature Link is one sign that the company is at least partially willing to change. I don't believe their Mario will grow up (kids get born these days too, you know), but something is definitely happening.

New, mature Link:
    [​IMG]

11. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Mario DDR , Mario Baseball, Mario Football, etc...

I've watch closely the Nintendo conference. Where is the revolution ? dowloading 20 years of Nintendo game that I can get for free on the net with MAME ? Meanwhile they showed us a Mario over and over again. They said they are willing to change but yet they offer the same thing every single year : Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime.

I'm tired of Nintendo. I had the NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube. This is my last console that I buy from Nintendo. I have grow up (30 now) and the game do not appeal to my demographic anymore. They are trying to shake the "kiddy" image but yet all they showed were very casual, simplistic and "kiddy" like.

Yes i am bitter. Nintendo has become very arrogant and no longer in touch with the North American market.

12. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Let me start by saying I'm not a DS fan (I think its too gimmicky) and I agree that the Gameboy Micro is a joke. However, thats not what the market thinks. The DS is kicking the PSPs ass in sales. Hell, the PSP release was one of the saddest displays in history. I think Nintendo's gimmick is working, so where is Sony's gimmick? And don't say UMD movies.

13. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

No, I hate the idea of UMD movies too. I couple of coworkers have PSPs. I've had the opportunity to play a game or two and they are simply phenomenal - I've never seen anything like it on a portable. I've also tried the DS out in a store... no comparison. You can play music, watch movies with the horrible UMD disc movies, but you can also convert and put them on a memory stick, right? You have wi-fi and tons of options the most amazing portable screen - great package.

I think the DS/PSP market will mostly be divided by age. The old crowd will have PSP the younger crowd will go for DS, mostly because of pricing. However, wasn't Nintendo trying to gear the DS towards more sophisticated (older) audience than the GBA? Another thing I just don't get about the DS is the dual screens. Who was asking for that? Nobody, I think most of us would agree we'd rather one, larger, better quality display for our games. Is it innovative? Maybe, but how many game makers will utilize it for anything meaningful other than gimmicks, a dozen if we're lucky.

Poff, I know there will always be children and therefore a children's gaming market. However, the gaming community is much more diverse now and the Big N needs to broaden their horizons. I never said they should adbandon the younger market. They shouldn't, they excel there.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you mean like Microsoft has their Halo (most overrated game the last years) and Sony their Gran Turismo ? ;)
    it's their mascot after all ... (and i could happily live without that mario golf,tennis,baseball and DDR) and still i find the nintedo super strike mario football thing interesting because it's a arcade football game with all it's glory (super shots comeback ... yehaaa)
    but now it'S enough for some time with mario games ... now it's time to get geist and killer 7...

on the childish image discussion:
    seeing 21 year old students who own ps2 (no xboxes around here) going from "man look at all those childish stuff and sounds" to "gimme the controller i wana play" within less than half an hour of mario party 5 and
    getting the phone call the nex day "dude we have to do that again next weekend" kinda destroyed all my worries about non fitting games...

("mature games" somehow became an acronym for blood gore and dull colours the last time... last game ifound pretty mature was Steel Panthers series for the PC...that's what i call mature)

personally i've been playing www.navyfield.com the last week that is good as well

15. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I agree with you, I own many of Nintendo's "kiddie games" and I love them, great fun! I just wish that they would embrace third parties who want to make games like GTA and the like as well.

I dunno, does the lack of these titles for Nintendo please some parents? There is a rating system in place and we have something called "choice", so why would having more mature games in your console's library be a bad thing? If you just want the cute, fun, kid games just buy those. If you just want more mature games, buy those... if you want both, as I do, you can buy both.

16. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Heh, I think Iwata would be the one swinging the Revolution, not Reggie. As he asked Reggie, "Whos your daddy?" XD

17. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Sorry, got you wrong, then..

And I do agree, btw. nintendo should embrace third parties more, and let them do it their way.

18. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yeah the dual screens confuse me too. The DS sold a lot better than I thought it would, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt... I guess I'm still stuck on the 8bit consoles.

Pricing is what is holding the PSP back from taking first place. The thing is too damn expensive. Plus, I've noticed over where I live all the stores have a demo DS unit you can play with yet NONE of them have PSPs you can play with. Of course half of the DSes have so many scratches on their screens you can't play them (looks like someone decided to try playing with a pocket knife instead of the stylus.)

19. Fabio_gsilva macrumors 6502

Fabio_gsilva

Xbox 360 X PS 3

See this interesting tech head to head between PS3 and Xbox 360, promoted by gamespot.com . Unfortunately, it does not include revolution... maybe because Nintendo did not spread tech specs...

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x?tag=boxcar_all_features_headline

I think this can put some light in this question.

My personal opinion: SONY RULES! PS3 will kill Xbox 360 and Revolution.

Huges.

20. yogi477 macrumors regular

Bill would buy himself out....

If this was a contest everyone knows Bill would just buy himself out of the cage (like he did with the XFlops and come back with an even bigger load of crap and a bigger pile of money.
    I would never buy an XBox even if it were by far the best and most popular console because I would never want to invite that company into my home to take over my living room and tell me how to play games. I will be buying a PS3 when it finally gets released in the UK (probably about 6 months after everywhere else, the PSP isn't here until September!) because I have always got on with the way that the Playststions do things. I am not even that bothered about online gaming, its much more fun playing Pro Evo of NHL against someone when you can see their face when you score on them.
    Anyway thats just my opinion but I for one hope this X360 is another hole for Microsoft to pour money into.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

since when do specs and hardware make a system???

Apple hardware isn't as good as other companies hardware, yet people love apple for their software.

Nintendo's hardware may not be as good, yet does sony (whose hardware blows in my opinion) or microsoft have: Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, or Metroid

No they don't. Its the software that makes the system, not the hardware.

At the end of the day still the Super Nintendo out duels all the systems out there.

and i will say that Nintendogs is one of the most AMAZING games i have ever witnessed in my entire life. I will surely be purchasing that game the day it comes out in America

22. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

I'll put my money with Nintendo... looks small enough to use as ninja stars. WATAAAAH!

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah looking at the presentation it was their clear goal to spark more interest from smaller developers etc. they even say they design the new Revolution with that in mind to drive down development cost

i don't know but on the other side xbox 360 is the one with parental control system to restrict playing games which are for older audience... a major move in my view ..
    well personally i've got a pretty balanced collection with still lacking some games i want
    so far i haven't had a problem with lacking games for older audience ... i haven't bought a few i would have liked to afford the mac mini
    there are still 'mature' games out for the gamecube i would like to buy or are on the way (like mentioned before: Geist and Killer 7... one looks a lot like the next perfect dark and the other a lot like something completly new)
    nintendo pretty much tries to deliver to all audiences... kids adults and the most difficult: male teenagers
    you know those 14 year olds who think that they are "grown up" and think mario sunshine is a 'kids only game' in the end i was the one laughing: "what do mean 'i can't get over there' ? is this "kids game" too difficult for you ?" ;)

sure 3rd party support could be better but it has been a lot worse with the n64 especially at the end
    personally i think nintendo is on the way up not on the way down like a lot of people like to say

on the other side there's something _really_ anoying me with nintendo: a good 'real car' racing sim (need for speed arcade, carts and fzero aside).. that is something ninten is somehow lacking do should change please ... especially with the oncoming online gaming

there ps3 has definatly the reference no 1: Gran turismo Series no doubt about that

final word: i think there is enough place for 3 consoles on the market which is still growing: personally if i had the money i would buy them all perhaps or at least 2 (sorry microsoft you would be the last one one my list at the moment) but because i don't have so much money i'll stick with nintendo because their controlllrs always fitted the best in my smaller hands, i like the new design and their old games ... have the need for a second gamecube anyways (i'm studying abroad and my brother likes to play his games too... leads to conflicts you know ;) )

after all who really has a problem with playing on a different console at a friends house if he likes the game ? games + fun > not so different hardware specs

24. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nintendo is the most stylish thing. And I guess, it is time to recall my youth. I think I'll buy it. First console since NES. ;)

25. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

One thing i think that SONY (if they can pull it off) is the EYE Toy it seems to be AMAZING in the PS3. Did you see the demo where you are on the screen and and are a secret agent or something with 2 other characters and the voice recogination is amazing!