The Ultimate List of Fake/Useless Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mileslong, Jan 3, 2007.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i actually find this topic pretty funny. instead of getting mad at the developers i just marvel at their stubborness and balls to even put some of this stuff out there.i dont get mad that is if i dont actually pay for their product. if a developer takes money, the product should work, period. but i get tickled at the free apps out there that dont even work or serve any known purpose.

i am in truly in awe of the talent that many of you out there have. the fact that you can actually put together software of anykind, even if it doesnt work well. the fact that you are talented enough to even build a gui is impressive for me. having said all that i am astonished that some of these developers actually spend the time building these things that either dont even work, that duplicate 20 other apps that do the same thing but better or do tasks that no one even wants!

i wanted to put a list together on this thread of apps that fit one or all of these categories, i think it could be informative and fun, so here goes with a few of mine. i am also putting which category they fit in along with comments, the comments from the users of these apps themselves can be hilarious.

1) ISwipe (apps that dont work) - first of all i buy music for every artist i like. i download free music from artists that can best be described as obscure, the kind of artists that itunes doesnt carry. so i like looking at different p2p apps that might allow me to find that one hard to find tune.

why does this app still exist? i love the idea of it having access to a lot of different networks other than gnutella but in three years i think i have downloaded a total of 3 songs from it. i live near the beach in california but i havent seen that many beachballs since last summer. i just saw a new releasae of it but never gets any better. why have a p2p app that doesnt ever download anything and it just stalls all the time? i actually downloaded one test song today that i already had and it averages like 6kbs. 9 other test songs never downloaded one kb. what is the point really?

user comment: when will this just.. die!

2) Acqlite (apps that dont work) - doesnt work at all, why are they still advertising it? i dont know of anyone that has gotten it work in a year.

user comments: - Never connected to a single host for me, even with LittleSnitch allowing any connection, and my firewall set for it's port #.

- Doesn't properly shutdown and quit, just hangs forever until it's forced to quit.

- Support forum has the same unanswered questions about connections.

- Screaming fast, ya right, screaming fast into my Trash!

3) ShakesPeer 0.9.3 (apps that dont work) - any app that requires you to have a degree in computer science from MIT is worthless to me. most bizarre app ever, just a bunch of different networks with wierd names who dont allow you to enter their sacred network unless you share X number of files, even if you can figure out how to share these files, once your in you cant download anything!

user comments: It doesn`t even open.

4) Cabrio 1.1 (useless app) - we have war/terrorism running rampant around the globe, disease, cancer and aids still isnt cured and what are our best minds working on? another software app that plays mp'3. i will let one of the people who actually like this app speak for me:

user comments: "Good. Skinnable, Small, understandable, FREE!!! Not untill i got this did i realaize how many of songs were mp3's."

WOW, this dude didnt know how many songs were mp3's? well i guess we need software for mentally illl people as well.

5) iTunes Dupes Barrier 1.1.7 (useless app) - how did i ever live without this great piece of software, for only $10.00 you can actually find duplicate songs in itunes. what? you mean itunes already can find duplicate songs and its free? i dont care, i want to pay the guys just fro being so outright ballsy to actually charge for this worthless app.

user comments: how many of other programs do you have that have the same features in the original program? How do you get by? LMAO

those are just some off of the top of my head, you guys and gals have any others?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use acqlite all the time. Not that I pirate music...

3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

well im sure that some of you have actually gotten some of these apps to actually launch, but when 80% of the people out there cant, somethings wrong...

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

OMFG. That's hilarious.

5. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I had to download Ventilloo to see what the fuss was about. Completely pointless, but fun. :D

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I used to use Shakespeer, but I'd rather not let one application use all of my upload speed. I asked about putting in a limit, but was referred to something completely irrelevant, and then was told that there were no plans to put one it.