Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vahdyx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Thornton
So I'm one of those "unbiased" phone users and when I say unbiased, I mean biased in favor of Android with the denial of having favor of Android. At least that's how it was for years, it's not so much this way anymore. Long story short, I'm favoring iOS more and it's kind of a tough realization for me being the closet Android fanboy.

My first smart phone was the iPhone 3GS, then Android all the way up to iPhone 5, then Android again until iPhone 6, then some Android sprinkled in, then iPhone 6s Plus along side a couple Androids.

Here's my list of Android phones

https://goo.gl/photos/oRMiVEDPbKL92XYs7

BXis6A

Well I'm using an Android phone again using the HTC 10 and my 6s Plus is sitting in on my desk kind of taunting me saying, "told you so". I love the build quality of the HTC, the audio, and the fact I can return Android apps before 15 mins of purchase, and all the typical perks of Android, the thing is... I don't like using the phone that much. I received it on Monday, May 9th and I'm already considering returning it. I returned the Galaxy S7 Edge twice, returned the Nexus 6P, the Pixel C, and I kept going back to my iPhone 6S Plus and iPad.

I tried to cling on to my old views on Android and it's superiority, not having the same phone as everyone else, themes, yadda yadda, but I just couldn't find the same satisfaction I once had. Instead I'm noticing the flaws in Android more. Very frequent animation stutter, very occasional but highly annoying lag, very little support for Android features by third party devs; fingerprint in apps, Android Pay, Google Fit, etc. Third party devs also seem to make lesser quality apps for Android and apps come way later than their iOS counterparts, etc.

I think I just like the smoother experience of iOS without the bells. Sure Android does more natively, but it's not the same across the board. One phone has ABC, but then screws up with DEF, while another does good with DEF and fails at ABC.

The reason why I think I'm noticing the flaws more is when I had the iPhone 3GS it was my only reference of iOS through the years of Android. Then when I went iPhone 5, it wasn't as feature rich as Android then either. Now comes the 6S, it's very feature rich, Google services are very present on iOS, and it does a lot and does it well. Sure there's some points to be made on either side, but for the most part, iOS does a lot of what Android does now if you don't care about customizing anymore.

I had to vent because saying all this to my wife is like talking to a wall, she just doesn't care lol. So I thought I'd vent to my other iOS friends.

Is anyone else struggling between iOS and Android or am I the only weirdo that holds on to Android despite coming around to iOS?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There are plus & minuses of both OSes.

I have 37 Android devices in my list just since 2013 !!

I like Android - clearly, but I also very much appreciate iOS, so I just have both. I do think iOS devices tend to be a little more consistent and coherent, but still love the plethora of android devices (although some of the 37 I've had since 2013 have been complete duds).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So I'm one of those "unbiased" phone users and when I say unbiased, I mean biased in favor of Android with the denial of having favor of Android. At least that's how it was for years, it's not so much this way anymore. Long story short, I'm favoring iOS more and it's kind of a tough realization for me being the closet Android fanboy.

My first smart phone was the iPhone 3GS, then Android all the way up to iPhone 5, then Android again until iPhone 6, then some Android sprinkled in, then iPhone 6s Plus along side a couple Androids.

BXis6A

Well I'm using an Android phone again using the HTC 10 and my 6s Plus is sitting in on my desk kind of taunting me saying, "told you so". I love the build quality of the HTC, the audio, and the fact I can return Android apps before 15 mins of purchase, and all the typical perks of Android, the thing is... I don't like using the phone that much. I received it on Monday, May 9th and I'm already considering returning it. I returned the Galaxy S7 Edge twice, returned the Nexus 6P, the Pixel C, and I kept going back to my iPhone 6S Plus and iPad.

I tried to cling on to my old views on Android and it's superiority, not having the same phone as everyone else, themes, yadda yadda, but I just couldn't find the same satisfaction I once had. Instead I'm noticing the flaws in Android more. Very frequent animation stutter, very occasional but highly annoying lag, very little support for Android features by third party devs; fingerprint in apps, Android Pay, Google Fit, etc. Third party devs also seem to make lesser quality apps for Android and apps come way later than their iOS counterparts, etc.

I think I just like the smoother experience of iOS without the bells. Sure Android does more natively, but it's not the same across the board. One phone has ABC, but then screws up with DEF, while another does good with DEF and fails at ABC.

The reason why I think I'm noticing the flaws more is when I had the iPhone 3GS it was my only reference of iOS through the years of Android. Then when I went iPhone 5, it wasn't as feature rich as Android then either. Now comes the 6S, it's very feature rich, Google services are very present on iOS, and it does a lot and does it well. Sure there's some points to be made on either side, but for the most part, iOS does a lot of what Android does now if you don't care about customizing anymore.

I had to vent because saying all this to my wife is like talking to a wall, she just doesn't care lol. So I thought I'd vent to my other iOS friends.

Is anyone else struggling between iOS and Android or am I the only weirdo that holds on to Android despite coming around to iOS?

Reading your post is like having a conversation with myself...very much how i feel as well. Just don't have quite the extensive list of Android devices you do. ;)

I just had a go with a Nexus 6P and Huawei Watch but have switched back to iOS. Both were very nice pieces of tech...just feel more at ease and truly enjoy iOS, even with its shortcomings. No need to feel regret, just use what you like.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008

I've had multiple Android devices in the past and very unbiased as I just love technology in general, screw the brand. I love new tech. Nothing like unboxing a new piece of technology be it a phone, watch, game console, whatever. It's exciting for this tech enthusiast...or tech geek as my wife calls me.

Anyways, I have bene on iOS for the past 2 years as I loved the IP6+ and 6S+. Apple is amazing at integration including touchID across security among apps and pay and other things which I loved.

I had a look at a friends S7E and was blown away. Design, hardware, the screen was intoxicating and I got tempted.

Made the switch last Friday and so far I am very happy. Every time I turn on that amazingly beautiful OLED,Quad HD screen and have that super light and thin piece of technology with that beautiful silver titanium staring back at me, I get excited. It's exciting and new and I am sure I will miss Apple more soon but at this time I am loving the newly wed period.

I miss my apple watch the most at this point as I have found everything else I need from Android at this time in terms of apps and such.

That being said I will be back on the iPhone 7 regardless as the life span of my phones is normally 2-4 months if that but this S7E may keep a spot in my drawer versus being sold like my other ones. It's that good.

Happy hunting on your next device.

vahdyx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Thornton
I'm glad I'm not the only one lol, seems like a few of you know know struggle lol.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I use both and enjoy both. I have found those because I like my widgets and like to make my home screen how I like I will be using my edge has my daily driver as I can add whatever I wish.

my ipad pro will still be my main tablet and my 6s plus will be what I carry to work everyday and use it at home at times.

I thought I would miss imessage as my daily driver but so far not really as I still have my 6s plus on my work desk where all my notifications light up. Obviously on my samsung it doesn't but thats fine as i can just see them on my iphone.

When i'm out and about it's why i've bought the Gear S2

Reactions: MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
S7 edge is my daily driver. But I also have a 6S+. Along with older Android devices and iPhones.

Between the S7 edge and the 6S+, I don't see any lack of performance on either side. No lag or stutter on both. If there actually is lag or stutter on whichever one of these phones, I surely haven't noticed. Battery life is excellent on both.

For myself, the combination of design and specs on the S7 edge is superior to that of the 6S+. I've tried to make the iPhone my daily driver numerous amount of times. But it's the iOS restrictions, lack of customization, and lack of long awaited features that keep me away.

If either the S7 edge or 6S+ wins in the performance category, it's so minute, that it's only a factor for extreme mobile tech enthusiasts.

As far as Apps go ..... I consider myself a mature app user. What I mean by that is, I mainly stick with the same apps that I need and/or like. I don't browse and download every app under the sun anymore. The apps I use on Android and iOS are pretty much just as good on both platforms, give or take minor details. And of course there are some apps that I use on Android that don't exist on iOS and vice versa. So my take on apps is pretty much equal on both platforms.

Marshmallow has been a huge success in my experience. On my older android devices with M, I've noticed a huge improvement on battery life, speed, and smoothness.

IMHO ...............

Android is too customizable, which results in a much wider range of user experience than iOS. From manufacturer skins, 3rd party launchers, and etc. For example, I keep my S7 edge basically stock. No issues with lag or anything else. But many users are reporting lag from using some themes.

iOS is too restricted, which results in a much more narrow range of user experience, but a lot more sacrifice compared to Android. It's also less compatible outside the Apple garden.

And the funny thing about that is, WP10 and BB10 are the in between of customization and restriction, but lack of apps are basically the only reason they can't seem to compete.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
You are not the only weirdo here. Me too except my story is reversed. I didn't like Android at first. Laggilicious! Still is. I was coming from iPhone. My first Android experience was Nexus One with Gingerbread, so my first impressions wasn't much. Then I experienced Ice Cream Sandwich and started to believe in the platform. Fast forward to four years, and while I think Android isn't perfect, safest, and laggiest, it is probably my favorite.

I am weird too. Last week, I was going to buy a Nokia N9 (black, 64gb). Yes, I wanted to try out Meego and wanted a collector's item. But the seller priced it at about $110. I said nah because my $30 Lumia 640 is far superior to it with iPhone 5 level optics. Single core, small screen, dead OS, nomore app store or updates, and small and degraded battery? I do believe the Class of 2011 had the best and most underrated gadgets.

2011 -
Steve Jobs passed away
Google bought Motorola
Microsoft teamed up with Nokia
Palm died
Ice Cream Sandwich

Apple iPhone 4s (first dual core iPhone still being updated)
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (needs a sequel)
HP Pre 3 (best webOS phone ever)
Nokia N9 (once in a lifetime)
Nokia Lumia 800 (in cyan)
BlackBerry Bold 9900 (best looking BB ever)
BlackBerry Playbook (QNX was so underrated)
HP TouchPad (fire sale!)

^ Most memorable year for me. I thought 2013-2014 kinda excited me but it wasn't the movers and shakers of what I saw in 2011. I say 2015-2016 is no longer exciting me with flagships but those bargain phones that surpass performances from flagships from 2010-2013. Which is also why I can never get a phone that was released from before 2013 even if 2011 was quite innovative. Single core and small screens? Nah.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I like both platforms. Use both platforms. I am currently though trying VERY VERY VERY hard, and losing, in the battle of not buying a new iPad Pro 9.7" which I think is the best tablet you can buy. Just need to persuade myself it's size is fine and better then an iPad Mini.

But yeah I'ave had a Nexus phone, Nexus tablet, Galaxy Note 5, iPad Mini, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5. And I have access to an iPad 3 and a iPad Pro 9.7" which isn't mine and makes it harder to resist buying one!

I've also had Nokia phones both feature handsets and Symbian handsets, Sony feature handsets, Sony touchscreen Symbian phones, I've had three of those...

So I've had my fair share of mobile gadgets.

Currently I have an current gen iPod Touch, an iPhone 6S and a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact which won't be going anywhere when I get an iPad.
I also have a Playstation 4 and an ace Nvidia Tegra Shield Android TV box.

Oh and my 2010 MacBook Pro which is hanging on in there lol.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I had an iPhone 3G, then switched to Android and have been with them ever since. Last fall I pre-ordered the iPhone 6s as I was tired of how I never loved a single Android phone, they always seemed to have one major flaw. My hope was switching to an iPhone would alleviate that as I didn't have to worry about upgrading more than once per year, and everything would work well. To make a long story short, I returned it after 2 weeks because there were just so many things I could no longer do that I was used to on my Android phone, and I realized just how much iOS was lacking in features that I already was tired of the software compromise.

It seems to be, you either go with Android and have to deal with at least one major hardware flaw (like a poor camera, bad battery life, cheap feeling body, etc.), or you go with an iPhone with great hardware but a limited OS and little customization.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
These are my current phones that I am using daily. I bring two of them with me to work and use the rest at home.

6S, 6S+, 6+, 2 S7 Edge, Note Edge, Note 4, Note 5. Currently using the Note Edge and Note 4 as my daily phones.

I have all the Android phones activated and the 6S+ is also activated, all on T-Mobile.

IMG_6063.JPG

zonazolazia

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2016
And the funny thing about that is, WP10 and BB10 are the in between of customization and restriction, but lack of apps are basically the only reason they can't seem to compete.

Tbh, there is literally no customization on BB10 except changing wallpaper and moving icons.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Tbh, there is literally no customization on BB10 except changing wallpaper and moving icons.

That's why I said in between. You can set default apps, has file explorer, full BT profiles, and etc. Sure, the UI itself might not be much customizable, but prefered productivity is.

zonazolazia

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2016
That's why I said in between. You can set default apps, has file explorer, full BT profiles, and etc. Sure, the UI itself might not be much customizable, but prefered productivity is.
Last time I used BB10 devices, there is no option to set default apps.

zonazolazia

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2016
There is. It's just not a clear as day setting. I had to look it up before.
That's good news. My time on Z10 was mosty positive. I love how every morning I can just go to BB hub and reply all my text message, BBM, whatsapp chat, and email from there without entering apps. The overall UI performance was also very smooth. The only problem was apps and how most big developers (google, microsoft, instagram, netflix, etc) have stated that they're not interested in releasing BB10 apps. Also, the performance of sideloaded apps were really bad. Other than that it was a nice mobile operating system.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
That's good news. My time on Z10 was mosty positive. I love how every morning I can just go to BB hub and reply all my text message, BBM, whatsapp chat, and email from there without entering apps. The overall UI performance was also very smooth. The only problem was apps and how most big developers (google, microsoft, instagram, netflix, etc) have stated that they're not interested in releasing BB10 apps. Also, the performance of sideloaded apps were really bad. Other than that it was a nice mobile operating system.

Yup, the browser is pretty damn good too.

Samsung is supposedly implementing something like BB hub called Samsung Focus for the Note 6.
http://www.sammobile.com/2016/05/10...ng-focus-app-to-debut-with-the-galaxy-note-6/

Reactions: zonazolazia

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Use both and like many it is cyclic.
Since iOS7, my "happiness" with iOS has slowly but surely decreased. On the Android side I was getting tired of being caught in the Carrier update mess - Sad when my Note 5 was missing the last few security updated because they weren't ready to roll them out. It wasn't the OS upgrades, it was the little things like the monthly security updates and the continual bloat push. I got a Nexus.

Nexus 6P - personal phone - 9/10 rating
iPhone 6S+ - work phone - 7/10 rating

It's not the hardware. It's the software. If I could default apps on iOS it would once again become my mainstay. I can't. It isn't.

Reactions: dgr874

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

BXis6A

You're not the only one!! I find myself buying an iPhone every freakin year, then after realizing it's large functional limitations, antiquated hardware design and poor ecosystem I run right back to Android. When the iPhone 7 comes out you can bet I'll be first in line, and I'm hoping this year breaks the cycle.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
You're not the only one!! I find myself buying an iPhone every freakin year, then after realizing it's large functional limitations, antiquated hardware design and poor ecosystem I run right back to Android. When the iPhone 7 comes out you can bet I'll be first in line, and I'm hoping this year breaks the cycle.

I'll be second in line right behind you my friend.

Only other phone I am considering jumping to after the S7E between the new iPhone is the Note 6.

Reactions: spinedoc77

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Im reading hoping the android talk will stop me hopping back to iOS... again. I hardly last 6 months before going back to android due to boredom.

After almost 6 months with an iPhone 6+ i have been back with android for almost a year.

Contemplating an iPod touch to keep my iPhone cravings at bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.