The universe...

Discussion in 'Community' started by G4scott, Jun 28, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Has anyone here ever just thought about the universe, and our existence, and why we are here? How we are here? and if there is anybody else out in space? It's fascinating to think of all the possibilities out there... Man, am I bored or what?

2. coolocity macrumors regular

Hehe, as we learned in physics ... :rolleyes: ... the universe is expanding - therefor, there is an end to the universe. I've always wondered what's out there, past that, moreso than what's in ours. Maybe I should change that, hehe. I doubt we're alone, but I also doubt we'll stumble upon life elsewhere in our lifetime, I can always hope though.

3. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i usually do mosdt of my quality thinking while on the pot, no that is not a drug refrence.:D :D :D

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The universe is amazing to me. I know without a doubt that there is life out there. It would be sad really if we were alone. There is nothing in religion that says that we are, but some extreme people on the right like to think so. I think we will make contact sooner than people think. At least in the next 250 years. That is really quick when you stop and think about it.

All the science of space does is strenghten my faith in God, and the existence of her.

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I dont think God is neither a he nor a she....

however its known to refer to God as a he because thats the way it is in the text... "Father" father is never a she.

but that does not matter... what does matter is your heart with God... anyways...

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

but yeah like b2thm said.... all the universe has strengthend my faith in the God of the bible.

einstien even said... in order for the universe to be created...the entity that created it had to be on the outside of it...not subject to its laws.

hindu, islam and all other religions other than judeo christianity and judiasm .... have thier God within time...subject to its laws. so in a sense.... einstein kinda gave some scientific credibility to the GOd of the bible.

i know im going to be flamed for this but i dont care..im just hanging out in here.

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree. I think God is both. The father, the mother. The giver of all things. I don't understand how someone can look at the complexness of life here on Earth, and the vastness of the universe, and think there is not a God. How? Why? Were is the universe? Something created it. Sad. I feel sorry for people like that.

8. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

There's a short story by Issac Asimov called "The Last Question". You should read it. It deals with the ever-expanding universe, and entropy, and that sort of stuff. It's really good.

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

agreed!

i think some people are going to look at these posts and get kinda annoyed because it turned into a "God" talk.

thats kinda hillarious.

cant escape "God"!

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

b2tm just made me think of something...

God is niether a he nor a she but at the same time is both.

trippy!

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Sorry to get off topic. Really, here is one that will make you think. God is perfect right. He is all knowing, and is everywhere. He is pure love right.

Well to be perfect, would he not have to be capable of pure evil as well. That one has taxed me for a long time.

As far as the Universe, there are trillions of galaxies out there. With trillions of planetary systems such as ours. If there were only 1/10th of 1,000th of 1% of them, there would be millions of earths. Think about that.

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah ive gone there also. its a trip...aint it?!!!

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

honestly b2thm....it would be intresting to hear jethatfield talkle that pure evil thing.

bring on jet! bring on jet!

14. mr.w macrumors regular

I dont know what to think about "god"... I'm not really convinced. Or at least with the christian god. I don't see how it is that christians can say that their religion is right and everyone elses is wrong. how can 3 billion muslims and hindus be wrong. I think that there has to be a universal truth for any religion to be correct. and i really don't think that there are any universal truths, because there is always a counter agrument (or belief) in ever statement.

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

There is a universal truth to Christianity, and it is love. 1st Correnthians Chapter 13. That was the whole point that Jesus was trying to make. People also quote John 3:16 all of the time, but never 3:17. I think the Christian Church has damaged itself badly throughout time with some of the interpratations they have offered. In fact, love is present in all religions. So, that being said. Look at life in that aspect. I am not saying as a Christian that the 1.5 billion musliums on the earth are wrong.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

"So what u are saying is...that our entire universe could be a single cell in the fingernail of some being in another realm?"

ok I know isn't completely accurate...but I tried to pin it as best as I could... ;)

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well thats respectible. im glad your thinking man. thats healthy.

this is the way i see it.

the truth is absolute and is not up to or contingent upon any of our thoughts or belief systems. so the truth is not relative.
    its like gravity. there are absolute laws in physics... and so it is with the soul.

you cant see gravity but you can see it working....same with God ... man.

too me .... Jesus is the real deal mainifistation of God on earth. not mohammed ..buddha or whatever. each of them were sinners and were not perfect.
    but anyways... im sure anyone has arguements against this...but i will never beleive them because it all comes down to who i put my full trust in in the end.... and that be Jesus. anything else or anyone else to me is not worth trusting for my life.

18. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I believe that the true way to think of 'God' would be as "The Creator". That's how the Native Americans thought of it (I think), and if you think of it, every religion has a 'creator'. Whether you call him God or Allah doesn't matter, just as long as you believe that there is a creator. I also think that it would also be the politically correct way of putting it. As for the atheists, they confuse me...

Another thought about this is the authenticity of religions. Not just one religion can be right. Besides, siding with a religion shows that you may not be an individual believer. Everybody is different, and they each have different beliefs. Deciding on who the Creator is should not be the decision of a church, but the decision of the individual. It is your faith in this creator that matters. In my opinion, not going to church once a week, or not confessing your sins doesn't mean that you don't believe in a Creator. It just means that you don't conform to one certain religion.

I could go on and on, but I'd start to get confusing. It'd be interesting to see what other people think.

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

everyone is a conformist in one sense or another... it depends on your relative views.

as for as indviduality and God..... well i decided for myself that Jesus was the real deal. no one forced me or made me think the way they wanted me to think. there is individuality in God.... you just have to accept him to understand.

20. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

i think we already made a contact...yeaaarss ago

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

shrooms dude..... leave them alone!:D :p

22. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Just something to clear things up:

I believe that as long as you believe in a creator, no matter what the name of the creator is, whether it be God or Allah, you will be fine in the end.

That reminds me of a Beatles song, The End...
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Would it be wrong to say that Radical Islam is not a religion, since it is basically a group of terrorists?

Oh, and we are all conformists here :p We can't help it. The thing is to try to be yourself, and not someone else. Even if you end up similar to someone else, or if your beliefs are similar, at you still tried.

Philosophy...

23. mr.w macrumors regular

to me blind faith is a crazy thing... i find it suprising that so many people can devote their lives to something that is not concrete. As for gravity, i was thinking about that too. how do we actually know that gravity holds us down. what is gravity, just a bunch of #'s and equations created to explain the unknown, and make us more comfortable with ourselves, and our lifes. We are, as people, prone to attempting to explain the unknown to make us feel more in control of our lives. it's the same thing with words and definitions... the object labeled as a chair has just become the name of a object that i see in everyday life. Why is it called a chair??? just because it is a common name and object that we can all agree upon, thus making our lives less chaotic. The same can be applied to just about everything.

also how do you explain to muslims or budists that they are wrong and you are right? because there can be only one true religion right???

24. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

There is no Evil..... there is only the body and dream of (insert diety)

The universe isn't expanding, it's CYCLING. It spews forth at stars and recycles through black holes.

The whole shebang is the ultimate experiment in self-examination. We, the Universe, extraterrestrials, cockroaches, etc. are all just Points of View being simultaniously experienced by the One-Entity.

We, the thinking feeling beings of the Universe are the eyes and ears of that One-Being.

25. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

A few years ago I wnet to a observatory on the top of some montains. I girld started to show us the size of the univers and the milky way and all the galaxi... I'm glad I'm a live, I felt like a tiny litlle germ attach to a minuscle grain of sand at some beach. The entire thing is so big, the topic is tripy by itself and show us the way we have to follow in like.

To live to find the rest of us out there, not to live to make money, fun and have sex.

Thats is the way we should be going. Right now we are acting like a virus eating a live this little cell called earth.