the unlikeliest of companions...

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Oct 16, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

last weekend, i was house-sitting for my great aunt as i often do. as i have mentioned in pet threads before, she has a Siamese cat and a white labrador retriever, Sammy and Sydney, respectively. The two are, somehow, the best of friends, in an "always playfully fighting sense." the funniest part about it all, though, is that it's usually the cat, Sammy, that initiates the conflicts. they're so rowdy that they can't be left alone in the house, and we usually can't put up with them both inside for more than a few minutes, so sydney spends a lot of time in the backyard. but i had them together inside this weekend, and i got it on my camera... thought it might be worth a laugh ;)

pic 1: they look each other over awkwardly...

2. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

3. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

4. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

5. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

and finally, pic 5: Sydney shows him who's really boss. most of this is too violent for film (j/k)

these things usually end up with sammy running and hiding, Sydney hot on his tail, running into random things.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

haha.

And the Sammy fights back and bites Sydney...

Oh No the carnage!

:p

hehe funny.

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In reality they probably enjoy each others company. Our dogs have there moods. One time snarling and then best buds! Thank you for sharing the pictures shadowfax.

9. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

oh yeah. they love playing like this. that's the funny part. when we separate them to protect the house, they both whine/meow.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sounds just like our darlings. Ours have there moments when they howl in unison.

11. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

These two have the best time together. They just go crazy and of course destroy everything. Can't keep them apart. The yellow lab belongs to my in-laws and the German Shorthair belongs to me.

[​IMG]

12. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow, that yellow lab is gorgeous... heh. i love them :)

but gosh, you really need to resize that image or make it an link. that's outrageously huge. [edit]wow, fast![/edit]

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just like human siblings.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

a dog and a cat is not unlikely at all....

now seeing my dog and my duck play was a true sight to behold ;).

Yes, my dog used to play with my duck ALL THE TIME, before the duck died :(.

scem0

15. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

you know, in my general experience, dogs tend to have a rather predatory relationship with both animals by instinct. so in that sense, a dog and a cat being pals is indeed unlikely. i don't see why you have to diminish that to emphasize your little anecdote, which i would have enjoyed a lot more if you hadn't belittled mine.

:( :p

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

sorry i wasnt trying to belittle yours, I was just trying to say that there are a lot more dogs who are friends with cats than ducks... bah i guess i was belittling it sort of.

I dunno. w/e. I'm too tired to think clearly right now.

Goodnight :eek::).

scem0

17. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

but the reason that that is so is probably because so few people actually have pet ducks :p

cats and dogs are just the most common pets; they don't commonly get along well together.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sounds like it was all as a result of scem0 being tired. Nice to hear both of your ancetodes.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Our former dog (we never knew her breed) understood that cats were an opponent of some kind, but she never knew who was supposed to be afraid of whom. If she encountered a cat that looked worried about it, she'd chase the cat. But if the cat looked aggressive, she'd hightail it out of there!

20. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

it's hard to tell with Sydney when she's with cats other than sammy. when i take her on walks and she sees cats, she usually seems to be taken with an overwhelming curiosity. it's not aggression, though the cats usually seem to register it as such. i wonder, though, if that's not rather common for a puppy (sydney's only 4 months).

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, puppies tend to be very curious. From my experience other animals seem to realize that fact and give them soem slack. The same for me, when I walk my dogs, that cats tend to hide. "I don't want to get into the middle of that."

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Why do family pets put up with toddlers? Cats and dogs seem to understand that toddlers are big curious clumsy creatures that don't mean any real harm. Am I just imagining that they put up with more grabbing, pushing, pulling, etc. from little kids than they tolerate from the rest of us?

23. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

not in my experience with cats. many of the cats i have seen are mortally afraid of toddlers and young children, and usually don't enjoy the tugging, jabbing, and grabbing that toddlers often do. however, i have noticed that kittens seem to tolerate it much more, as well as adult cats who were raised with small kids. dogs, however, seem to generally relish rowdy, small children--it's almost like they wish adults were that fun :)

24. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

My wife had a cat that hated to be picked up, yet her 4 year old niece could pick her up and carry her around for a long time in the most uncomfortable way. I think it depends on the cat (or dog). My cat wouldn't allow anyone to pick him up (except me and my fiancee (now my wife) once him warmed up to her)).

There is a universal cuteness factor (available to at least humans) of the oversized head to body with facial features low and close together. I'll bet that has a lot to do with it.

Link

[​IMG]

25. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Cute pictures :)

We have a yellow lab back at home, and he's a lot bigger than that one. And fatter. It's probably what we feed them, we've always had big dogs. Our past two Labradors have been well over 100 pounds (Jake, and the one before him, Gao).