The unofficial College Football thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Nov 10, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan.

We have a big game this weekend with Auburn, so I thought I would open it up for college football talk if anyone is interested.

Who is your team? (Oklahoma, Southern Cal, who?)
    Make your case for them.

What do you think of the BCS?
    Who do you think will play in the Orange Bowl for the "championship"?
    How about a playoff system? How would you set it up?

By the way, not much media hype, but David Greene, the UGA quarterback set an NCAA record for wins. His record stands at 40-9 now, surpassing Peyton Manning's (Tennessee) 39 wins. He could end up with 43 wins (almost an 11 win per year average, not bad).

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I hope you guys take down auburn. I'm a Cal fan. Making a case for Cal, hmmm....well, they ahve a great quarterback, awesome running back, stout defense, some money receivers and one of the brightest coaches in college football today. And if it wasn't for the fact that our special teams suck something awful, we'd have beaten the current number 1 in USC (would have been two straight years we'd beat them) since we totally outplayed them.

A playoff system has the same problems as the current system, there are bubble teams that would be unfairly left off, and since there aren't enough games for everybody to play the same teams, its hard to know who is really legit. How big would a playoff system be. if its only 8-12 teams, its still gonna be pretty much the same teams right there every year. Yeah, it would give some non-bcs teams a chance to win a championship, but only a chance, not a garuantee. and like I said, other deserving teams will be left out anyway. I don't think changing to a playoff system does much really.

3. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Cal's had a great year, and I was rooting for them to take out USC. However, their ranking is a problem for my Dawgs in trying to get into a BCS bowl. The pollsters are rewarding you for a great season. Good luck!

I hear what you are saying about the playoffs. I think I would still like to try it though. Yeah, there will be some teams left out, but if you have 8-12 teams, gosh, that's your top 10 anyway.

Looks like USC/Oklahoma in the Orange unless somebody can stop their trains. Auburn has to get past UGA and Alabama (tough D), as well as the SEC championship game. But Tennessee is a paper tiger as Auburn has proved, and now they are without a qb. The Dawgs laid an egg against Tennessee after their big emotional win over LSU. Wish we had another shot at them. We will have to be content with whipping Auburn.

4. jasylonian macrumors regular

Meecheegan. It's unfortunate that we have a new tradition of choking one away early. It'd be nice to actually have national championship aspirations past the third week of the season instead of the crushing disappointments we're handed by teams like oregon/ucla/notre dame.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Could be worse - you could be a U of Illinois alumn. Hell, we're happy to win 2 or 3 a year lately. Ah, can't wait for basketball season to start.

6. applebum macrumors 6502

Hey - don't be dissing my Vols...we did beat Ga. after all, and Florida and Alabama and hopefully we should have another shot at Auburn. At the start of this year, I really thought this would simply be a re-building year, as we really have a young team. 2 freshmen QB's - I mean c'mon - even Peyton lost 3 or 4 games his freshman year. But then, up until this past Saturday, I really thought we had a shot... then our best QB got hurt (2nd best got hurt the week before) and our 3rd string QB showed why he is 3rd string behind 2 freshmen. I think there is a good chance Auburn will walk all over us in the Championship game.

The only chance UGA really has is if they beat Auburn this weekend then somehow make it to the Championship and beat them again.

And the Papertiger comment - never understood why someone would downplay a team that has beaten their team. It would be much better for UGA if they lost to Tennessee because they were a good team and not because UGA simply sucked it up that week. True championship teams don't lose to bad teams, they find a way to win.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Michigan Wolverines. They are my favorite team. My dad played there in the 70s, and now he goes back to a game every year (since we live in California). I guess Matt Guiterrez is supposed to be starting at QB, but he got hurt just days before the 1st game. He told my dad he is going to stick around and get his spot back next year, rather than leave Michigan.

8. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, didn't mean to come of as dissing the Vols! LOL. They are a hated rival after all. You have done much better than anyone gave you credit for at the beginning of the season. Your win over Florida was hotly contested and disputed though, and 'Bama had you going too for a while (so did South Carolina, but they did the Dawgs too). Your freshmen qbs have been good, that's a fact. As far as the Dawgs loss, we did play poorly and flat after an emotional win. The penalties were our own fault, as was missing a chip shot field goal, not the product of UT's prowess. But you are correct, championship teams don't lose those games, they fight through them, much like Southern Cal and Oklahoma have done this year.

Darn, I just wish that Notre Dame had been an SEC team! Now I have to root for Kentucky or Vandy to pull an upset! :p What a long shot! Don't like your chances in the SEC championship if you don't get Ainge back.

Looking forward to next year's game with ya! We will be losing Greene and Pollack though. Hopefully we can reload.

9. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

They say its better to lose early than late. I think it is probably better to not lose at all! :p

Its always a long climb back, and now teams like Utah are making it harder!

Wish you were playing Wisconsin. Somebody needs to take them out! Maybe Michigan State can rise to the challenge!

10. sarae macrumors 6502

Nonsense! Go Badgers! :D

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

The fighting illini had their first big ten win since like november 2002 this weekend, we're riding high, and I think we could win this weekend , I mean this "bye" team is a total pushhover. Then on to northwestern, maybe we can crush their bowl dreams. Also were not even last in the big ten this year, JoePa and Penn State are. The fighting illiini need a new coach ...

in other news basketball starts a week from friday, we're ranked 5! but our schedule is not very forgiving.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Prepare for the carnage that will ensue when the Auburn Tigers rip into the Georgia Bulldogs this weekend. It will be a conflict of National Geographic Explorer-like proportions, if they were only to do an episode where a tiger ripped into a bulldog.

P.S. Born in Athens but raised in Auburn, so I've gotta go with the Tigers on this one. ;)

13. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your defense has played well all year, and now your offense is coming around. Too bad you can't test yourself against Michigan. Tough games AT Michigan State and AT Iowa left for you. Good luck!!

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

Go Yellow Jackets! I just hope we can hang in there and play some football. I've resolved myself to accept the fact that we just aren't a football school... I can't believe we lost to Duke last year and UNC this year... :mad: :mad: :mad: Oh well, looking forward to seeing what'll happen against Georgia... :(

15. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just don't turn the hoses on us again!!

I think it is going to be a great game. The Dawgs have a good defense, and I look for them to try and shut down your 2 running backs. They will try to force Campbell to win the game himself. He has played well this year, so he is capable, so I don't expect it to be easy. A lot will depend on whether the Dawgs can run the ball too and set up play action. Danny Ware is supposed to be ready to go and our other freshman, Brown, will get a lot of carries too.

Don't need another nail biter like 2 years ago! I want to cruise in this one! :)

16. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Reggie Ball has not matured this year. Completing less than 50% of his passes and 15 picks I believe. You have struggled. Yet, a rivalry game ignores things like that, so anything can happen!

Good luck to your basketball team though! Great run last year. This year you have bull's eye on you!

17. roadapple macrumors regular

(never count on Sparty)

If Michigan and Wisconsin win out, what do all you pac10 fans think about a Michigan-Wisconsin Rosebowl?

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

<------ im at NIU, i cant believe we lost yesterday, would have been nice to go forward after Toledo, we arent a big team, but these past two years have been great for us, especially with Turner last year, and at least we were able to get ranked again this year

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

Too true about Reggie. He's kinda been tossed into this role without much of a learning period, and as a result, I think its more of the mental aspect of his game that are lacking. Of course the numbers don't lie, but I would say that I can be written up to his lack of experience. We have had some key injuries too (I won't get started on whining, but not having Daniels in the lineup consistently has hurt us). I really havent kept up with the team this year because of school... 18 hours this semester and graduating next makes for not much free time. But you are definitely right about rivalries... anything can happen.

20. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Never count on Sparty... I like that!
    Always seems like that 3rd party team never comes through for you when you need them (where were you in the 2nd half South Carolina against Tennessee!)

I think it is possible, if Southern Cal wins out and goes to the Rose Bowl. I think there would be some definite interest in the game. I'd really like to see my Dawgs out there though...

21. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

None of my teams are any good this year, so I'm rooting for... UPSETS! I loved watching UNC defeat Miami, then seeing Clemson do it again the next week!

I just turn on a game and root for the underdog. If one underdog is getting beat, I switch channels to another game.

22. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Texas Fight!

I just hope we don't get screwed out of a good bowl game like we were last year, after Oklahoma screwed us over by losing... Of course, it screwed them over even more, because they couldn't lay any claim to the national championship... So remember o.u... You can screw us again by losing, but you'll be screwing yourselves even more... Of course, I don't doubt USC's ability to pummel a less than impressive OU team...

And Utah needs to play some ranked teams to show how good (or bad) they really are...

23. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

You guys had an amazing run last year!

Didn't play the big name schedule you had last year, but still doing pretty well. 7-3 with Eastern Michigan left. Not bad.

24. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Gosh, you guys always lay an egg with Oklahoma. Kinda like my Dawgs and Florida, although we finally put them away this year (we had lost 13 out of 14 to them). I really thought you were down for the count last week being down 35-7. What an amazing comeback!

I've thought that you might make a change with Mack Brown and bring in Spurrier. What a scary thought. With the athletes you get, and what Spurrier would bring. Can you say BCS champions? I hope the Evil One doesn't come back to haunt us Dawgs!

Agreed about Utah!
    Other than the first game of the season against a 6-3 Texas A&M team that lost to Baylor, they haven't really played anybody.

25. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Heh. Brings back fond memories. ;)

Yeah, I agree. It's going to be a tough one for both teams to be sure.

Now that jdechko has jumped into the conversation I can throw in that in addition to my ties to UGA and Auburn, I went to Georgia Tech for graduate school. A true renaissance man. ;)