The Unofficial Mac Guide, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by iJoe, Feb 9, 2005.

1. iJoe macrumors member

Hi everyone, I've just finished work on a table of comparison for all current Macs, and I'd like to hear any feedback on it. Click here to see it.

I plan on doing an 'Upgrade Guide' as well. If anybody has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

-Thanks
    -Joe

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Wow, it looks great! Just a quick note, the 17" PB should be 100 GB, not 10 GB.

Daniel

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Why don't you run the computers as the columns and the specs as the rows? That way it's a 'side by side' comparison.

4. iJoe thread starter macrumors member

I may try putting the computers as columns sometime. I'll see how this version goes firt, though.

I'm just about to fix the 10/100GB thing, thanks dsharits.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

looks good, maybe add in possible upgrades for each computer, so you know what you can get BTO, just an idea, and i think perhaps columns would work better for a side by side comparison good work though, thanks

6. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Very cool.

Some additions I'd like to see (maybe for a 'pro' version):

Processor: bus speed
    Memory: how many open slots
    HD: speed of HD
    Optical: speed of Superdrive
    Display: external monitor spanning vs. mirroring
    Price: US$ as well
    Ports: PowerBooks have a PC card slot; also maybe a separate category for audio
    Notes: maybe make a separate box for "Last Updated"

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It does have the US $ price. Click on the dollar sign at the top.

Daniel

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, for version 3.0, what if you could enter the specs you want (i.e. combo drive, FW800, USB2, 128 MB Vram), and then it would give you the various machines that can be configured that way, with prices.

9. iJoe thread starter macrumors member

Processor: bus speed I originally had this, but couldn't find it for every model. I'll try and add it.
    Memory: how many open slots I was considering doing another 'Upgrade Guide', but perhaps one great big one would be best...
    HD: speed of HD Something I got rid of purely because I couldn't find the speed of the Mac mini's (is it that bad? Again, I'll try...
    Optical: speed of Superdrive *adds to list*
    Display: external monitor spanning vs. mirroring Is this really needed, as you can usually hack it anyway.
    Price: US$ as well *cough*
    Ports: PowerBooks have a PC card slot; also maybe a separate category for audio to do list.
    Notes: maybe make a separate box for "Last Updated" good idea.

...enter the specs you want (i.e. combo drive, FW800, USB2, 128 MB Vram), and then it would give you the various machines that can be configured that way, with prices... I was planning on doing something similar eventually. Maybe the ability to turn columns or rows on and off.

How about having a seperate BTO column, instead of cramming it in with the standard config? What are your thoughts on that?

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Looks really good. I did notice one typo though. You've got Combodrive listed for the eMac Superdrive model's optical drive.

11. iJoe thread starter macrumors member

I'm about to update the guide now. Some more things will be tweaked and added, and the 'choose config' thingymajig wordmunger suggested is being worked on. (But won't be in this update.)

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Click the dollar sign at the top.

Daniel