Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
I thought I saw somewhere on MR saying something along the line of Apple TV Refresh. Anyone know where that rumor came from, and whether the rumour hinted at a SW only refresh or also HW?

I am moving out and thus in the market for (yet another) Apple TV. But don't know if I should wait...

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
How long are you willing to wait on an $85 device? A month, two, three, more?

It is just a rumor, there have been no clear specifics. Think about it, if it is a S/W upgrade you will get it. If it is a hardware upgrade, what would they add that you must have and at what price?

If it were me, I would buy one and use it until the next one came out and then decide if I wanted to sell it for a small loss or skip whatever Apple comes up with next.

Again, it is only $85, buy it now if you need it...you can sell it later for $70 to $80.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I thought I saw somewhere on MR saying something along the line of Apple TV Refresh. Anyone know where that rumor came from, and whether the rumour hinted at a SW only refresh or also HW?

I am moving out and thus in the market for (yet another) Apple TV. But don't know if I should wait...

Since you said "yet another", I would presume you already own one? Then I would recommend you use the one you have until you can confirm whether there will be an update.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Since you said "yet another", I would presume you already own one? Then I would recommend you use the one you have until you can confirm whether there will be an update.

I bought one and i gave it to my now ex-gf. Not gonna take that one back.
I bought one for myself, and then left it with my parents so they can stream shows from the iPad.
So it'd be the 3rd one I'm buying essentially. But no, i won't have one to use if I don't buy this 3rd one.

I can wait a month or 2 I guess if it's a HW update? That said, I guess aside from just a rumor of a refresh, there isn't any more details concerning HW/SW then it seems. Feel free to add if there's any further rumors/news that I missed on the Apple TV.

----------

And, Where do you find the Apple TV for $85? Isn't it $99?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Apple actually released the new firmware update today for a new Apple TV hardware revision (3,2). They even made the update available for download. So I think it's safe to say a refresh is coming soon or this is some serious error on Apple's part.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Since the version scheme for upcoming refresh is AppleTV3,2 (vs. AppleTV2,1 for 2nd generation and AppleTV3,2 for 3rd generation), I suspect changes will be mostly repackaging (with 6.1 firmware) with few minor hardware changes such as gigabit Ethernet and internal component changes (for improved compatibility, reliability, even lower power consumption, and/or cheaper components).

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I bought one and i gave it to my now ex-gf. Not gonna take that one back.
I bought one for myself, and then left it with my parents so they can stream shows from the iPad.
So it'd be the 3rd one I'm buying essentially. But no, i won't have one to use if I don't buy this 3rd one.

I can wait a month or 2 I guess if it's a HW update? That said, I guess aside from just a rumor of a refresh, there isn't any more details concerning HW/SW then it seems. Feel free to add if there's any further rumors/news that I missed on the Apple TV.

----------

And, Where do you find the Apple TV for $85? Isn't it $99?

I think he was referring to the Apple refurb price point - very easy to buy an $85 ATV directly from Apple.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Airplay Direct!!!!!

Now that they finally turned on the Bluetooth chip, maybe we'll get direct Bluetooth audio streaming?

How about some games and a Bluetooth controller.

Although I have a Roku box with angry birds and the controller sucks.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
What could they add to a new model that would justify atv3 owners to buy an upgrade?

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
Just wondering, i have some unopened ATV 2g's, and i was considering selling them for 75 bucks because I thought they were old technology, but I looked online and they selling for almost 3X much now! I got them for 90 bucks, and they are over 200 now online, why is that?

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Just wondering, i have some unopened ATV 2g's, and i was considering selling them for 75 bucks because I thought they were old technology, but I looked online and they selling for almost 3X much now! I got them for 90 bucks, and they are over 200 now online, why is that?

That is the latest model that can be jailbroken to run non-Apple software. As such, demand is higher since supply is lower.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new model yet. From the MacRumors front page:

"Apple appears to be referring to the new Apple TV model with a code name of J33I, compared to the J33 code name used on the third-generation Apple TV. While we have no direct evidence, it is possible that the "I" simply refers to an international variation of the current box. Just last month, Apple launched iTunes movies in nearly four dozen new countries."

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
What could they add to a new model that would justify atv3 owners to buy an upgrade?

Nothing that I can think of that isn't software-dependent. I would say my biggest wants are an App Store and better audio (hello, DTS?). But both would require software changes that could likely be used by any black puck model.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, the FCC just leaked some info on the next Apple TV. It's apparently a little smaller. That's all that was leaked. Hopefully will be coming out soon.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Well, the FCC just leaked some info on the next Apple TV. It's apparently a little smaller. That's all that was leaked. Hopefully will be coming out soon.

Slightly smaller and probably a faster SOAC. I have no idea why other than to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Maybe there will be some new hardware that surprises us.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
I was thinking 802.11ac...? Any possibility on that?

Also waiting for a good time to pick up an Airport Extreme also...

----------

nvm. i took a look at the article, it says 'same wifi capabilities' as the current Apple TV...

alainking

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Cape Town, South Africa
With regards to the comment about it been international, I would surprised about that. I live in South Africa and the Apple agents launched the Apple TV 3 here a week ago.

It has not been available because we had no iTunes content for years. I have (and know several people that have) an Apple TV 2 and 3 that I imported myself and have had no issues with it whatsoever.

I am quite keen to see what come out with this refresh.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I was thinking 802.11ac...? Any possibility on that?

Also waiting for a good time to pick up an Airport Extreme also...

----------

nvm. i took a look at the article, it says 'same wifi capabilities' as the current Apple TV...

What would ac net you really? Current wifi exceeds most peoples internet connection speeds and locally sourced content from iTunes never buffers over wifi now. There would be no beneift I can see.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Can't even get Cable in my area so I'm stuck with DSL @ 13mb. Hell even old a/b WiFi protocols exceed my bandwidth xD

I'm curious to know what they'll do with ATV. My friend brought his over some months ago when I was curious but it honestly failed to impress me. The Air Play Mirroring from OSX was laggy and unusable, and no iPlayer app installed? Streaming movies from our iPads was OK but I'd hardly justify the price when I have a Windows 8 PC sat under my TV with it's own independent Netflix/iPlayer/4oD/movies and TV on demand.

Will be curious to see what they do next but it feels like it's missing something right now.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
What would ac net you really? Current wifi exceeds most peoples internet connection speeds and locally sourced content from iTunes never buffers over wifi now. There would be no beneift I can see.

Was hoping it'll reduce airplay mirroring lag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.