The US or Australia

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Feb 13, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, I'm planing to move to the US but I would like to discuss with you pro and cons:

Pros:
    1. It is close to Venezuela
    2. I know people in the US (many people).
    3. I have oportunities to work legally

Cons:
    1. There is a war comming up= terrorism.
    2. The economic depression looks like is gonna increase.

Australia:
    Pros:
    1. It is in a galaxy far, far away.
    2. I know just one person there that can host me (enough).
    3. There are good jobs there.
    4. No war or terrorism around.

Cons:
    1. The voltage is 220.
    2. It is far away from everything, my friends, etc. except Japan.
    3. I may be moving with my girlfriend and I want to break up with her.

Throw your first thoughts.

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Having never been to Australia and knowing very little about it, anything I say would be completelly ignorant.

The 'depression' in America is over stated. That's such a harsh term, its really not bad here at all. Its possible that I'm in a well diversified area, that has yet to feel a crunch.. but I see it only as a dowtime in the economy. It'll pick up soon.

I'm not worried about terrorism and only a few people I know talk about it with great dread. There's a threat, but we have to live our lives. We'll going on living and being happy... what is the alternative?

Regarding the Girlfriend.. break up with her now. That you're even thinking these thoughts means you shouldn't be with her. You don't want her making a big life decision (moving to another country) because she thinks your relationship is going to last. Sit her down and do it soon, before this nonsense gets worse.

Just my .02, but I think you'd like it in America.

3. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah dont need to drag your girlfriend on a big life move and then break up with her. break up with her first... then move. dont create more problems for her.

the u.s. is not that bad. depends on what kind of work you want to get into i guess.

good luck.

;)

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Move the the US. More opportunities, and the so-call depression is about 20 times better than Europe. Only an average of 5% Unemployment, with 7.25% being the highest (Where as some European countries can be from 10% to 20%). Australia is a cool place, but far from the "beaten path". Also very few people speak Spanish there, in the US there is a large "latino" Population (I hate using that eufimism). Also, if you speak and interpert American (English), you should be a shoe-in for a job. Being Bi-lingual is great for most places, because of the large "latino" population.

BTW:
    Actually the Voltage in Australia is 200/240 just like the US is 100/120. Basically its twice the power at a lower Hrz. Level. Just depends on who your talking to as to what number is quoted.

TEG

6. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

1. I do not care about the language in Australia, I really want to have my englist strait up.

2. About my girlfriend, it is a bit complicated, I may be thinking about something else better than here because of all the problems I have here in Venezuela because of the country it self. I know I'll be moving to NY and I'm gonna miss her, specially because girld in NY are not even a sad shadow of a venezuelan girl, I have been in NY for 6 months and in the US for 3 years, the best looking girls are in Arkansas and those places (I haven't been in the west coast too long neither).

I just had the option to go to Australia but I'm gonna take the chance in NY any way. As a VJ I think I have lots of oportunities there, I have a few good contacts already.

Thanx:)

7. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: The US or Australia

Go to Australia....... you don't deal with people that way.

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Mate come to Australia, maybe we can meet up some time and have a few donzen beers together :)

Australia is the best place in the world, I wouldn't live anywhere else. The people are nice, the women and NICE! the whole place has a nice feel to it, its the best place

but take your time with choosing man, I now it will be tough

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

10. Lz0 macrumors regular

Australia is just the 51's state anyway.

---

Lz0

11. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

i have always wanted to live in australia... you can take my place here in the states:cool:
    since you speak spanish, that's good. i think it's like the national language here in the northeast anyway:confused:
    btw, the economy only sux if you're poor. smart people make money in good times and in bad...

12. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Re: The US or Australia

apple stuff, along with a lot of other stuff, costs a TON there....

13. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Without a doubt...it's got to be OZ! We are planing to move there (wife is from there) in about five years.

Spending three weeks in the ballina + byron bay area in July!!!

14. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

California is nice ! Yeah, move to Cupertino and bring us some news...:D

15. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

Re: Re: The US or Australia

It's ture (and it sucks), but surely even the most "hardcore" mac fan wouldn't base the decision of whether or not to move to Australia on such a fact. ;)

16. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I need not brag of the benefits oh Ohio.. it is a wonderfull place to live. The heart of it all.... featuring such characters as DukeStreet, AssasinofGates, and Myself.. it's the obvious choice for any REAL mac fan.

I'm dumbfounded by this thread's populatirty.

I've got my big job interview tomorrow... wish me luck. :D

17. peter2002 macrumors 6502

I'd rather watch Dundee

I would never, ever go to Australia. You guys are too racist and ageist there. You send away cruise ships full of refugees unless they are white. It is a proven and well known fact you have the 10 most poisonous snakes there, most poisonous spiders, man eating lizards, and it ain't safe to go into the ocean because the waters are infested with tiger and great white sharks, and lethal jellyfish and many other dangerous creatures I can't even remember. Not to mention you are surrounded by a bunch of countries that hate western values and people that are on the verge of nuclear war.

Prostitution is legal, HIV and STDs are rampant in Australia. Drought and fires are ravaging the entire country too.

PBS had a special a few months about all the bad stuff down under. You can keep it. I'll just watch Crocodile Dundee movies. That is as close as I would ever want to get to Australia.

Pete

18. vniow macrumors G4

Oh, boy, I just can't wait until an Australlian reads that post above.

19. dricci macrumors 6502a

Re: I'd rather watch Dundee

Put your fireproof underpants on! :eek: Australia vs. USA flamewar shootout in 5, 4, 3, 2... :cool:

20. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Pull your head out of your AR$E

FYI Australia is one of the most multicultural and diverse countries. Australia has a very fair immigration policy and if you meet the criteria, black, white, yellow or any other colour for that matter then you are more than welcome. And I'm sure you send back more illegal immigrants to Mexico than we turn away.

I'd be more afraid of AMERICANS if I was you. You kill more of your own in single day then our DEADLY snakes, spiders and sharks do in an entire year. FACT !!!

They don't hate western values, they hate the values that ignorant Americans (a small minority) try and force onto them. And if they do hate Australians then it is only because our government support the US (most Australians don't). When was the last time a group of terrorists flew two 737's full of innocent victims into two buildings also full of innocent victims, killing thousands in Australia. Please remind me.

I am starting to think that you are the most incredibly stupid MAC user I've ever come across. Legalising prostitution makes it much safer. The sex workers have to have weekly medicals, they are not allowed to use any form of illegal drug and they have to practise safe sex, etc, etc.

The US looses more square miles of land to bush-fires in a year then Australia does. Fair enough it is fairly bad at the moment. But at least we don't have hurricanes, tornados and huge earthquakes. We haven't built huge cities on major fault lines that could move at any moment.

You need to take a long hard look at your own back paddock before you start criticising others. I've travelled all over the world and lived in many different countries. So until you have a better idea of what exists outside of your own a___hole than keep you mouth shut.

21. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Well I could go on for hours about the US being a ****hole place, but I know it is so why bother

fancy him saying all that utter crap, sheesh have you ever been to australia!

We have snakes, big woops, all of them are in the bush I've never ever seen a snake in the city. Nor anywhere else

then spiders, what place don't have spiders (I'm sorry for good old ga hoit US of A to be so pefect and anti spider) and I've only seen 1 spider in my house this year, only 1.

Man Eating lizards, haha wake up to yourself! do you yanks watch or learn anything, them Komodo Dragons are from papua new guinea, not Australia!

Your politcal views are pretty damn dumb also, I mean aren't you the coutry at war? god damn your so dumb

Prostitution is not legal, your info is BS, and you say its HIV ridden, god damn, uh did I say you were dumb before, jeez man

And what amkes the US great eh? It is the poverty, the drugs, the slack jawed southerners who who play with there big ol rattle snakes, god damn yee freakin haw!

Hahahahahah, wack up little Petey

If you want more from me, PM me or something, I'd love to discuss it with you

22. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Hmmmm

You know, messing with Aussie's is not the smartest thing in the world.

zoetropeuk said everything for me, so its kinda a bit hard to say anything about the post, but here goes anyway.

I know one fact...Americans know NOTHING about anyone but themselves. Your post, peter2002, just shows the fact that you guys are the biggest pig-headed nation of losers on this earth. Smell the roses would ya, you watched a DOCUMENTARY on a TV station that wants to earn money. Of course it is going to be sensationalized to the bull****. That is TV. Prime example, 7 kids got buried in an avalanche in Canada and 6 people got killed in a train crash in Sydney. Funny thing that you guys would not have heard about it because a spacecraft fell out of the sky with 7 of your men on board. What about all the millions of people that have died from starvation and lack of water in that time period and after that event? Do you hear about them?

Think before you post! You have NO knowledge of Australia. If this country was so crap, we would be living somewhere else, but definetely not in a country that has been found guilty by the United Nations for terrorism and kills more innocent civilians a year than were killed on September 11.

You are a fool.

23. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

24. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

You actually would have though he would have seen the olympic games on TV in 2000, they showed every part of australia, surely you could put down your shotgun for atleast 5mins and learnt something about the REST of the world and what it has to offer,

Sorry for the multitude of posts, but I keep remembering stuff to make even more of a fool out of you

25. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

I have never been to America but I have heard of people making a lot of money there so if that is your dream go there. Of course there should be no shortage of things for a VJ to do in NY. Of course you may end up unemployed and homeless (or even dead from one of the millions of guns there) but at least you would have lived your dreams.

As for Australia, yes it is multicultural but it is also led by a right-wing government. Refugees are pawns of the policians, demonised to win an election and locked up in camps (located in the desert) to protect the general community. The enthousiastic support of Australia in the conflict with Iraq is very unpopular here with the main opposition party taking an anti-war stance. Of course Australia has no incentive to tow the UN line since it has criticised us in the past for the treatment of refugees and Aboriginals.

As for the lack of terrorism here, last year a nightclub full of Australian tourists was blown up in Bali. The days following the World Trade Centre attacks a couple of mosques were burned down and muslim schools & students were also attacked so you could say that terrorists do exist here all-ready. Last week the government also distributed terrorism information packs to every mailbox in the land. Sad state of affairs isn't it?