The use of the word "gay"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vmardian, Apr 11, 2006.

1. vmardian macrumors newbie

Gay = flamboyant.

It's not derogatory. Don't be so sensitive.

(this is in response to someone who got upset because someone else used the phrase "gay rainbow colors" in some thread about MacBook colours.)

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

"I like bananas."

"Bananas are so gay!"

Was that a compliment? Gay, the way it's often used today in casual speech *is* derogatory. If you use gay to talk about something negatively, you are implying that being gay is wrong, whether you like it or not.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's tricky. It's such a great derogatory word (comes off the tongue nicely) for random bad happenings but it also represents homosexuals. I've got into the habit of using it to express distaste but that annoys me simply because I don't think it's fair on my homosexual friends. They understand I don't mean anything by it and they're not offended, but I'm still trying to replace it with something else... Maybe frack™?

Either way, the days of gay directly meaning happy and colourful are long gone.

I give this ten minutes before it hits the Politics Forum. Any wagers?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

How about Whack

"Bananas are so whack!"

Variant - whacked, as in whacked out.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This reminds me of the case of the word "******" (oh, we're off to the poli forum now).

In both cases, by repeated popular usage, the term became divorced from it's original definition, with a new de-facto definition(s) replacing it. To a degree the two definitions live together, but the more popular one(s) gets assumed in conversation. Or, in some cases people don't care what the definition is, only that the word has a positive or negative value assoicated with it.

It's all pretty ironic.

* the profanity filter strikes - I was referring to the "N" word.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I try not to say it....it does sound funny when people say it though but i really don't see it as disrespectful to others....well someone is always there to break ya ballz

anyone see TBS making fun of frodo and sam?....its truly funny. secret lovers

Bless

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i give it a few hours at least. gotta give some credit to the peeps. (god, did i just say that word?)

i sometimes use the word to describe something "wrong" or strange. like "that shirt is gay." it's not very nice but i seriously don't mean it rudely.
    i once slipped it in front of one of my gay friends. we were looking at something on HGTV and i blurted out "that is so gay!" and then i realized what i had said. (probably looked horrified about it) he just smiled and said "don't worry, it was totally worth it to see the look on your face." :eek:
    thank goodness for the little thing called sense of humor.

9. vmardian thread starter macrumors newbie

Gay means one of three things: happy, flamboyant, and homosexual. Your banana example doesn't fit any of these. "Gay rainbow colours" on the other hand, fits the flamboyant case. It's not derogatory unless you consider the word flamboyant to also be deragatory. I don't. Flamboyance has its place, but consumer electronics is not one of them.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree. I try to stay away from it, but it seems more and more that gay means more than just homosexual. I almost want to say that it is acceptable to use to mean weird or wacky, or at least many people are using it for alternative meanings.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo- not a nice thing to hear. I hear it way too often. I do give a friendly reminder to some folks that the 6'3" 195# guy standing next to them in the bar is also gay and has just quit smoking and has one nasty temper. :)

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

key sentence.

13. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I now use the word lame instead of gay. It gets my point across just fine without possibly offending my flamboyant coworkers and friends.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What about people with no legs then?...

I really try not to use it but I don't think homosexuals should be offended by it's derogatory use. I know this is easier said than done but there's no intent to offend. I can only ever get offended if there is intent to offend.

BTW, I fully realise the obnoxiousness of telling people what should and should not offend them. For this, I apologise.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh OK, so I assume the next time you use the word "******" to refer to say, white trash, any black folks within earshot shouldn't be offended? See, I couldn't even type that word it got edited. It was the n word BTW.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

[​IMG] :eek: <backs away sloooowly>

17. vniow macrumors G4

themadchemist did a pretty good rundown on the usage of the word in this context and I have to agree with it.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not saying it's right. I'm making a concerted effort to avoid it in that context. My point is that when it slips out, it's not meant as anything derogatory against homosexuals. It's like the meaning of gay has a complete duality in that it can represent "homosexuals" and "something bad". I mean no link between the two but understand how this can be implied. It's more the fact that gay is such a catchy word to say. Just the process of saying it is like a release, which is great for moments of discontent.

I digress. If offence is not aimed at me, I don't let it offend me. Oh, and I don't use the N word on anyone. Thankfully, I never got into that bad habit. :)

I agree with the end result, but not the method. I don't think language can be reduced to equations, even by a madman. :p

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then why use the "g" word?

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I like this sentence. Some people get caught up in words rather than the intent that they where used.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm trying not to. It's just such a good word to say. It rolls off the tongue nicely. I really have been trying to stop for a while now and I barely say it at all. I recognise that it's not fair on homosexuals to use it in such context. I don't think they should be offended though. :)

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oh the analysis of words could take us into a dark dark place. eeeeek!

thing is, i have banged my leg into a table and said some really foul things. it's a slip, a release of energy. my table doesn't really think it's a mother f[beeeep]er.

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

A lot of people used to say this in the high school, though I noticed that as everyone grew up, it was being used a lot less. I've always tried to avoid saying it, and can't even remember the last time that I did but sometimes it just slips out. I can totally understand the offensiveness of it and am in no way denying the connotations of it, but it has unfortunately become part of vernacular meaning "bad" or "stupid". So when people use it I can understand that they are not trying to be offensive.

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Don't be so insensitive.

e

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Bull it has a complete duality. I'm straight, but this annoys the **** out of me. Even if it's not how you intend it, where do you think this comes from? It comes from people who don't like homosexuals using the word "gay" to derogate other things they don't like by association.

How anyone can think that making "gay" a synonym for "bad" is just slang with no meaning is totally beyond me. It's loaded with meaning.

Anyone here think it would be Ok to say, "that's so black" when what you mean is "that's so bad"? Or do you think that maybe, just maybe, making a word that people use to define themselves synonymous with negativity could suggest something beyond slang? Gimme a freaking break here. :rolleyes: :mad: