The US's "mini-me" - Australia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Apr 1, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

Last month an Aussie navel vessel was docked in Wellington, New Zealand. Overnight, protesters used an inflatable to come along-side, and painted in very large letters "John Howard, US bootlicker" along the side.

I would post a photo, but cant find any on google.

2. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I'd take his article a little more seriously if he had references to the "facts" that he states.

3. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Sounds like an Australian Navy captain that should be brought up on dereliction of duty charges under a court martial. Castastrophic absence of security.

4. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Castatrophic or Catastrophic? Either way, no people or animals were hurt during this protest, so your choice of word seems a bit over the top.

5. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Erp. Fingers had a mind of their own. Thanks for alerting the spelling mistake.

Catastrophic.

Either way, a Navy captain is responsible for the safety of his ship and crew. Allowing people near your ship to do things to your ship that you do not know about is dereliction of duty. The captain is supposed to be cognizant of anything that approaches his ship. Thats what security is all about. When its docked, then the security duty goes to the port officials where its berthed.

Hurt animals or people or not, doesn't matter. He allowed people to get close to his ship to do some 'damage'.

6. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, it could have been a mine or bomb (like the French terrorists bombing the Rainbow warrior in Auckland in the 80s).

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Was the captain of the USS Cole charged with dereliction of duty?

8. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Dunno. There was certainly an investigation.