The Value of Demi-Godhood

Discussion in 'Community' started by resm, Jun 13, 2002.

1. resm macrumors 6502

I have joined this forum february 2002 out of curiousity and have stayed on ever since then.
    As you all can see I am far from the club of highly celebrated top posters who have postings in the thousands and even still far from the honorable group of "Avatar" owners.

I wouldn't even have the technical knowledge how to make one :(

Nevertheless I am daily on this forum reading about the newest info and rumors, enjoying (mostly) the fun on the community discussion and once in a while getting some help from other posters and to my own surprise have even been able to help a few others with minor problems they had with their mac's.

I have bought 2 mugs (they still have to arrive here)

One that could breake on the way here if I'm unlucky and gives arn some help and the other made of steel to be sure I have one standing besides my mac.

I can buy mugs here for less then what I paid (although not macrumors mugs).

The reason why I bought this mugs is not to become a demi-god but simply because I feel its the decent thing to do since most things in this world cost money and so does running and maintaining this website.

I spend enough time here to consider it to be a good investment :D

I have seen many members here who have not many postings (yet) but their postings are many times more interresting then some of the top posters.

They have a lot of knowledge and good contributions to this forums and it is this type of members I would like to encourage to do their part to keep this forum running and pay their share, not to be blessed with "demi-godhood" (thats just a fringe benefit) but because their contribution (money and otherwise) will be valuable and appreciated :)

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i hear ya. the site can use all the support it gets.

i'm not sure it matters if it comes from those with "few but good" posts or not. because i think that even those with many but bad (probably plenty of people would toss me in that category)... they get as much or more out of the site. the mac side and the community side.

i read all the mac side stuff, and comment when i can make a useful post. otherwise i'm pretty community bound in the bulk of my posts. that said, i have gained a lot from the page, whether it be rumors or just fun nights joking around.

so i contributed as soon as i could.

and i urge others to do the same. as resm said, not for "demi-god" status or anything. but cause if you get anything out of this site, then it's worth pitching in to keep it going strong, and get even stronger (xserve- ha!)

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

for people that come here everyday....how many hors a month are you at this site?

If its more then six I say it's worth paying....for the same reason I did. It's the same amount of money as 3 movies. I get far more then this much time worth of entertainment, or fun, or stupidity, or whatever you want to get out of it. I learn, help (I hope), and joke around.

the cost of maintaining a website, besides time is money. I felt it was the least I could do to help out...I just want to keep this place up and running so I can get my daily mac rumor fix.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I was probably the 3rd or 4th person to donate to the macrumors cause. I spend about 14 hours a day at a computer, not to mention that I'm on dsl connections both at work & home, so I naturally spend a lot of time on this site.

I've made a bunch of what I consider to be friends here. I'm helping organize a meeting of the geeks here in New Orleans also, and I now have people I can see in select cities all across the U.S.

I know many of my posts are far from holding real significance, but for the most part it's all fun for me. I got involved enough that I was asked to become a moderator to help out a little, so I have more reason for being here than just upping my post count, which seems to be a widely discussed topic around here.

I feel like I'm babbling now...so I'm cutting this here...

but don't sweat it all...just have fun and do your own thing... ;)

5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i like your movie analogy, but the reason i joined was to support the site, i usually spend 3-4 hours on it a day! the site deserves a little suport in my oppinion, but for those of you who feel that they arnt ready to contribute thats cool too, you are contributing with your posts, not financally but it is still a contribution. and those who go out of your way to help others with computer problems, thats great too. this is the only site i know of that you can look at rumors about your fav computer company, and then go and join other disucssions with people who share the same intrests.
    Long Live MacRumors
    -royal

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

oh yeah...why I donated!

I forgot to mention this in my earlier rant...

I donated because I really liked the information I got from the site...and I figured I use it enough...so why not help out...

so I have my mug sitting on display...most people drink from their's...but not me... ;)

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: oh yeah...why I donated!

that's cause you drink straight from the bottle....

GLUG GLUG

;)

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: oh yeah...why I donated!

not always...just once I've had a few and the pouring from the bottle to the cup takes too damned long...

it's quicker to go straight from the source....skip the middleman... ;)

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: oh yeah...why I donated!

ohhhh yeah. you are one to talk. drunkass

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and all of a sudden resm sees just the true value of the drunken demi-gods...

pretty useless huh? :rolleyes:

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

hehehe....arn should put macrumors shot glasses in the store and if you buy one after becoming a demi-god you can get the title "drunken demi-god"

that'd be funny

:D

seriously though...the shot glasses is a good idea

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: Re: Re: oh yeah...why I donated!

I learned by past mistakes....I only drink beer from the bottle now...

:confused:

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I actually like that idea...shot glasses...

but would it seem like promoting drinking to the younger members?!

14. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

kind of....

except you have to be 18 to order stuff from there anyway...and by that point if you're drinking, you're drinking and you're making an adult choice.

So I don't think its a problem...

15. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i ordered the mug, there was no age limit. but i dont drink.:D

16. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Have any of you noticed the only people who have posted in this thread are Demi-Gods? Don't you guys feel that you are squeezing the rest of the community out? There should be a special section for non-Demi-Gods :)

17. resm thread starter macrumors 6502

exclusive club ?

yes Beej....I have.

and that's one of the reason why I started this thread.

From all this talk about "demi-Gods" we may scare away newbies and "not so often posters" because they may start to feel isolated and getting the impression that only as demi-gods with thousand of postings they will be recognised here

And that will kill this forum because in order to keep this forum interesting we need constantly new blood who can give new inputs.

you can be demi-god with one post !

that should be the slogan ! :)

18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If you were to buy a t-shirt and mouse pad would you become a Demi-God? or is that just for the mug.

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: exclusive club ?

Actually, you don't even need a single post :)

Macmaniac~ if you contact arn via pm, then no doubt you would be able to work something out. He'll be more than happy to help you, i'm sure.

I think this thread is probably a good example of what people have been complaining about. It started out with an honourable purpose, and quickly degenerated into nothing much. That was a decent post from resm; i'd not be complaining if we had more like it. (before anyone complains, i've been as culpable as the next person, and am not pointing fingers at anyone)

20. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Hey, I'm _willing_ to buy a mug, but I don't have a credit card.

k.

(Okay, tell me... is this the lamest excuse you ever heard?)

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You can talk to arn and arrange something, it shouldn't be that difficult, I'm sure you're not the only one who's been in that situation.

D

22. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

dude, I knwo theres no official age limit. However you used a credit card right?

Well, you have to be 18 to have a credit card. If youre 18 and you choose to drink thats a decision you made as an adult, and not as a kid. That's what my point is.

23. resm thread starter macrumors 6502

just to clarify

I have seen many interesting postings and witty dialogues (I'm a sucker for good scripts :D ) from people like AlphaTech...Alemon..Beej..britboy..Dukestreet..eyelikeart..jelloshotsrule..teabgs.. and many others (please excuse me if I don't/can't mention all 5319 members) sometimes even just ranting ahead...thats ok.

The only time it gets trivial for me when I enter a thread and on page 1 I see 2-3 people having a personal off topic dialogue and on page 2 the same and on page 3...... thats when I step out.

We should give people a chance to enter a conversation based on the topic, if they like to do so.

Thats what a "forum" is all about :)