Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I showed up to my local AT&T store this morning at 6:30am and there was only one person waiting in line. This is a first time in history that ive witnessed this.

How many other peeps are seeing this today?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Crowds do seem to be down as compared to other iPhone launches. My wife works across the street from the boylston apple store in Boston and she only started seeing people camping out yesterday. Prior years people were there days/weeks before the roll out.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
That's how it should be. iOS 9 slows down your phone, the new phone is heavier, smaller battery... and people are waiting in line for it?

Crowds do seem to be down as compared to other iPhone launches. My wife works across the street from the boylston apple store in Boston and she only started seeing people camping out yesterday. Prior years people were there days/weeks before the roll out.
I didn't know you were in Boston. I'm there too. But I didn't go to the launch though.

superfuzz

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Went past my verizon today. 3 people in line. They told me no plus models till around noon today so i'll be calling and being annoying.

Reactions: iphone5att64

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
I wouldn't wait in line if I knew I could get one the next couple of days. That's the thing, people are trying to avoid being sold out that's why everyone tries to line up. If you don't you'll have to wait 4 weeks.

Plilbeye

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015

At the store here in Valencia CA 20 miles North of Los Angeles and there is 50 or so people in line most have been here since 10pm last night. I think do to the plentiful amount of pre-orders apple had available most people will show up at there designated time slots avoiding have to wait all night.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Maybe it's just that the ordering process has gotten good enough that the vast majority of people realize there is no reason to wait in line? I ordered mine casually late in the day it was available from AT&T and it's out for delivery. No fuss.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's definitely more calm. At my local Apple Store right now the line isn't even half as long as when I came in 2013 for the 5s.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
A lot of people are getting phones this year through their carriers because of all the incentives. I'll be getting mine straight from T-Mobile to take advantage of their plan. In years past I would be going to the Apple store. Also, internet pre-orders probably get a larger share every year and every internet pre-order is one less person in line.

At this point I am kind of surprised that so many people still go stand in line for it at all. iPhone 6S was available for launch day delivery for days if not weeks before ship times started to slip. The 6S plus went quicker, so that I could understand, but even that is just 3-4 weeks according to Apple's website, where as in the past people got shipping dates two months or more in advance.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
more and more people are either pre-ordering or making a reservation. I'm going at my reservation time. No waiting in line for me lol.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
The iPhone is also launching in China simultaneously this year. There is very little arbitrage opportunities for resellers too, who were a large part of hence first week action during the 6/6+ launch.

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
Not a single person at the Sprint store at 5am here in the south Denver metro area. News broadcasts report about 30-40 at the Aspen Grove store nearby. I've waited there in the past and generally we have 100+ for iPhone events.

By the way, I didn't get why this is a "DRY" launch. As compared to a "WET" launch? May just be too early here for me to understand.

wborisenok

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Boston, MA
I think this is just a sign of the times. Aside from having to get up to pre-order at 12, 1, 2, or 3AM, Apple has made the pre-order process pretty much seamless. I woke up at 3:07AM, placed my order in 5 minutes, and proceeded to wait 2 weeks for the phone to show up on my doorstep on launch day. Easy as pie.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
it appeared they had a lot of phones available for preorder since people the next morning could still preorder and then they had the reserve, pick up in store option... so no reason to wait in line...

i don't think apple's in any trouble with this phone!

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Not a single person at the Sprint store at 5am here in the south Denver metro area. News broadcasts report about 30-40 at the Aspen Grove store nearby. I've waited there in the past and generally we have 100+ for iPhone events.

By the way, I didn't get why this is a "DRY" launch. As compared to a "WET" launch? May just be too early here for me to understand.

Dry as in this is the first time that I've seen my local COR AT&T store have only one customer by 7:00am. Normally there'd be like 50 people at minimum.

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
Yea. Agree with this thread. Last year our line at our AT&T was wrapped around the building. This year.... Three people showed up as we opened lol. And now we have no customers in the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.