"The Village" Review...is it good?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sjjordan, Jul 30, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

So, it's friday and I have 2 hours till I can leave...has anyone seen "The Village" yet? If so, please let me know what you thought. I've read nothing good from imdb.com. What are your thoughts?

2. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if you liked his other movies, you'll probably like this one, though there's more story in the beginning than... lets say 6th sense.

it's all about the twist-ending, once you know, there's no point in watching it. :)

3. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Well, I suppose this response is too late for your decision tonight :rolleyes:, but I would have to say I loved the film. Yeah, I read the negative stuff on imdb after I saw it, but I still gave it a 10. And from what I saw, people either loved it, or hated it. Nearly 60% gave it a 10, while almost 20% gave it a 1. I think the only reason why people gave it a 1 is because of their expectations. The trailers for this movie made the film appear to be the scariest movie you'd ever see, but the movie is much more complex. People just looking for a cheap thrill probably won't enjoy it. Of Shyamalan's movies, I've only seen this and Signs, and I probably like The Village better, but they're completely different movies, so it's kind of hard to compare them, even though they're both "thrillers." Be warned though...if you have any idea what the movie ends up being about, it would totally ruin it. (sorry for the longwinded response :eek: )

4. macrumors 65816

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm a fan of Shyamalan's other work. I could tell a lot of people at the theater were disappointed, but I just don't think those people knew what to expect. It definitely wasn't his scariest movie, but arguably his most fascinating, and the character were warmer and better developed in this one. I don't like. I liked the atmosphere. My friend called both surprises early, but there's a certain TV show out right now that kinda gave him the idea for one of them. I called one of the surprises about a minute before it was revealed, but that's not saying much. I think Shyamalan has gotten such a reputation for surprise endings that he feels compelled to always have one, even though some of them (Signs especially) have been laughable or a little tame.

MacFan26, did you like the role-reversal in The Village with regards to the character in your av? I don't know how to be more explicit without giving a spoiler, so I hope you know what I mean.

5. macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I loved it, it was not what i was expecting but it intrigued me. I've liked his other works, so i expected a good movie no matter what.

6. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Haha, it is a little difficult not to give spoilers to this movie. I did like the role-reversal, it was pretty ironic, even though I thought it was pretty obvious that was going to happen when that scene happens with him and Noah. (I hope you know what I mean :))

7. macrumors member

I Want To See It

Me and my boyfriend were talking about going and seeing this movie. In a way I don't want to because scary movies really get to me but it looks really good at the same time. What to do, what to do?

8. macrumors member

My take was that it wasn't a particularly bad movie...but it wasn't all that good either. I think my opinion of the movie is influenced by the fact that I got in for free....if I paid for it I might have a different opinion.

That being said...I actually did prefer this movie to all of his previous movies all of which I managed to walk out of the theater cursing the fact that I paid to see those movies.

9. macrumors 601

krossfyter

Best movie i've seen this year.

I love the dynamic shifts (twists) in his movies.

I went into ubreakable expecting a realistic movie and came out surprised it turned kind comic bookish/fantasy.

I went into the Village expecting a horror film and came out surprised it was really natrualistic.

That kind of mind trickery i love.

10. macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I completely agree. This movie was fantastic. It's not as scary as I'd hoped (there was a good amount of frights, don't get me wrong) but the movie made up for it in other areas. The movie made you think and guess till the end.

11. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Did anyone pay any attention to the music in this one? I'm a huge film score fan, so I guess I notice stuff like this, but I thought it was wonderful. I really like James Newton Howard's score to Signs, but I think this one tops it.

12. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

You're talking about all the creepy solo violin music, right? I noticed it to and thought it was spot on for a movie like this.

P-Worm

13. macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

i liked the movie overall but the twist at the end was completely terribly done.

I give it a 6 out of 10. - The actors could not speak the old english very well, a terrible twist at the end, overall the movie was well done however.

14. macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Ok, apparently I need to watch it again, because I didn't know the ending was supposed to be a twist... of course, I also figured out Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, so maybe his mind and mine just work too much alike.

15. macrumors 65816

mgargan1

did anyone else think of a certain Jim Carrey movie at the end of the movie?

16. macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

BS...No way you KNEW the ending of Sixth Sense ....I could believe Unbreakable but not the later....I would say, as a Knight fan that this (Village) would be his weakest film; however, this is still a great film...One thing is fosure, Joaquin Phoenix's love interest was horrible; was it me or did anyone else have trouble figuring out that she was freaken BLIND?! ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

I knew the ending of the sixth sense very easily.

#1, he died in the beginning, a "dead" givaway
    #2, the mother NEVER spoke to the guy throughout the movie
    #3, the kid said "i see dead people" which gives away the fact that the guy is dead.

Personally i dont see how you could NOT know the movie's ending. there were so many clues everywhere!

Ya in the village i did not beleive for a moment she was blind, she moved wayyyyy to normally. I have met many blind people in my life and none walked like she did.

18. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yeah, Hilary Hahn is the solo violinist. Some of it is very creepy, but a lot of it is really beautiful. Like at the part when Lucius grabs Ivy's hand. (I have the soundtrack, so I guess it's different when you just hear the music)

I noticed that too, but I kind of thought that was intentional. Considering their circumstances, they shouldn't have been able to speak it anyway.

19. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Save your money and see this at bargain hour

*note: safe to read, there are NO SPOILERS in my review*

Some of my favorite lines from critical reviews of M. Nights latest, "The Village"

"Every village needs an idiot...and M. Night is hoping it's you..."

"...this one is only cable worthy."

"...what will moviegoers think when they realize they've actually bought**a ticket to an atmospheric but mostly mellow romance that delivers only a**few jolts?"

"...might have made a good 20 minute short or a Twilight Zone episode."

and my favorite:

"I see a dead movie..."

...which is what perhaps what this character may be thinking in the pic I included with this post. Without a doubt, the highlight of this ponderous bore of a flick (with the exception of a terrific scene which has nothing to do with the creatures in the woods) is a spectacular film debut of none other than Ron Howard's daughter. The rest of the cast is wasted - I've seen William Shatner act better.

I think most will figure out the twist within the first 1/2 hour - it's fun to just sit back and try NOT to figure out what's really going on here - it makes the film a bit more tolerable - but at M. Night's 4th outing, we can't help but NOT try and figure out where the twist lies; after all, it's what M. Night is all about, and we expect it by now. Are you going to get an "Oh, WOW!" out of it like the unforgettable 6th Sense (the first was still his best)? Not this time - more like a "Oh, ok, I thought that might be it..where'd I park the car again?" Just to make sure that the loose ends are tied up, M. Night makes his trademark appearance (in the reflection of a glass door this time, like a caged bird that falls in love with itself in a mirror) and, via his character, makes sure we get it a la' any Bond villian who has to explain his plot to agent 007 for world domination before setting the laser to kill.

I don't want to completely trash it - creature glimpses are truly wierd, and when we are finally treated to a full monty, this jaded moviegoer was still happily revulsed (read: "impressed"), and the cinematography is as pretty and atmospheric as you can imagine, not to mention a top notch soundtrack. It's hard to fully detest the movie - in fact, it's quite good - except it's too long, the acting is Al Gore Skool, some lines are unintentionally funny, the dialouge is Amish-Puritan-Old World-Mish Mash, and the plot twist may be too damn inevitable for today's viewers. Did I say it was quite good?

That's the problem with this film - it's so darn pretty, and you want M. Night to live up to the hype so much, and Bryce's acting is so enriching, and the idea has such potential - I can't say I hated it, but I think what clinched it for me was the thinly veiled references to post 9/11 control and isolation and fear of the other, admitted to by M. Night himself in interviews. Mr. Shymalan needs to adopt a screenplay next time and stop writing.

You could have done better than that, child. Honestly.

Scott
    Critic At A Loss

Attached Files:

20. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Quite right, but being misled isn't the only reason why it rated in at such low levels across the board with most viewers. Sometime's studios are in such a quandry about how to promote a movie, that the previews are geared for pull-in, and even though it ends up not being what one expected, one can still appreciate what one did end up seeing.

One of my favorite case in points is "Fight Club." There was no way on Earth I'd ever bother to see that flick after seeing the previews. Who cares about guys beating each other up to join a club? Forget it. It took my best friend in LA (after renting it just for the heck of it one night) to convince me to put aside my expectations and "just do it."

"Fight Club" is now one of my favorite movies, and I watched it 4 times over a period of 7 days, turning others onto it as I did. Talk about "It's not what you think!" The studios figured on getting the hallowed 18-28 year old male population in, and thought that showing fights in previews would do it. How much larger of an audience would have had the pleasure with more thoughtful previews? Water under the bridge now, because the film has a rabid following since going to video / dvd, where word of mouth gave it the exposure it deserved.

This is where M. Night misstepped. This isn't as much about horror as it is about terror, control and created fear. Terror alerts (yellow and red), control from the elders (present administration in Washington), and created fear (Watch Out for The Others They're Everywhere). His post 9/11 allegory doesn't work, and is an overall disappointment. Sure, I wanted the pants scared off of me - that's what I was led to believe. My pants stayed on, but I wasn't treated to something else wonderful - I felt doubly cheated. But that's just my opinion.

The man is gifted beyond words, and his films are wonderful to watch. To come out of the gate from nowhere and blow away filmdom with his first film "Sixth Sense" years ago and not reach that level again in his subsequent efforts is, in my opinion, quite a shame. I dedicate so many words to this topic because I am fascinated by the potential of M. Night. To have to live up to ones' own legacy is a burden, and he could do it in future if he starts leaving the writing up to others.

21. macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

I love fight club as well...its for people who understand it. Those who dont well...they will hate it.

22. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Those were good :) This is probably my favorite:

"No no no... You got it all wrong. The "monsters" are actually a small group of the aliens from Signs who got lost in the woods and never found their way out. They've never forgiven themselves for failing to kill Mel Gibson, thus allowing "The Passion of the Christ" to be made." :rolleyes:

Sounds like what everyone is saying about George Lucas over on the Star Wars thread :D

23. macrumors 65816

voicegy

HA! Hope he takes the hint for Revenge of the SITH...but given the obvious anagram, it's over before it begins. :p

24. macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

well, sure, if you've saw the film you would no doubt understand that...I'm happy that I experienced the movie NOT knowing the outcome; implying that the outcome is very easy to predict or reveal is rather pretentious if you ask me.

25. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Nooooo! ahhhhaaah!

You ruined the 6th sense for me! I have not seen it yet....

OK, I was half-kidding. Yes I have not seen 6th sense, but a friend of mine ruined it for me after seeing the previews and wanting to go see it (he already has) I was told, "he is dead, you know".

And that's where MKS is so bad. If you are familiar with the premise of the movie, one sentence can solve the twist. He is very transparent, and because his movies are done so well (cinematography, soundtrack, atmosphere, acting for the most part) I want to like it but I can't.

The Village gave me a few jumps, but that was it. It was slow and predictable and the twist was just a bit better than the fact that water can kill aliens (why weren't they wearing space suits after arriving from space? :) ).

So anyway, I didn't hate and I didn't love it. 5 out of 10.