The VPC 7 Post. Everything Here.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpaceMagic, Sep 28, 2004.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey all, I'm a user of VPC 7 Beta and it's great. However, the retail, which I WILL buy (legally this time) has only just been released. I want users who have received their VPC 7 to send all the info they can :) Speed, apps used, compared to VPC 6, etc :) So that I and others can get all they need to know about VPC 7 before buying it. The Beta is quite good, far better than VPC 6 on a 1ghz g4, but thats maybe cos i have a 1.8 G5. Who knows....

2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I run my Beta on a DualG5 1.8 with WinY2Kpro as OS

I don't find it that fast, a lot of times it lacks speed especially when for instance installing things...

I don't like the fact that it only gives you 512MB ram and 16MB Vram... ok thats still more than my old PC did have... but this "emulates" that ram + a +/-600Mhz P3 and it doesn't feel that fast as my P2 450 with 384Mb ram did... but at least it doesn't feel like a 486/33 anymore :-D
    I did install WinY2Kpro because on my old P2 that was better usable than XP... so I figure on VPC it will be a little bit the same... maybe I have to look for my Win98SE disk to get it really speedy??

J

in the end it's just to check how websites look on a PC browser why I want/need VPC at this stage...

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

and where would one acquire this said beta version? I can't seem to find it on MS website. hmmm.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hope some benchmarks are posted comparing a G4 and a G5 with the same amount of memory.

5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

you can only get the new for-sale version at MS... but sometimes people "find" things when they look around... if you know what I mean ;-) ;-)

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

didn't the beta expire already? :confused: I'm very interested in VPC 7 for my new G5, but only if the speed is going to be a lot better than VPC 6. (same as you spacemagic - a 1.8 G5 vs. a 1 Ghz G4)

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

yes it did, but... as always you can fool this... some people deliver 'hacks' but again I didn't mentioned this :p hahaha

if you know where to look you might stumble upon one...