The Wal-Mart Embargo

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by roland.g, Feb 6, 2007.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Now that Wal-Mart has entered the video download service, with an awful Windows only model, after threatening studios who might do business with Apple and whining about loss of DVD sales, which it seems they are not too worried about now that they are doing it themselves, it seems it's time to fight back at Wal-Mart.

Simply said: don't buy anything from Wal-Mart. No DVDs, no groceries, no clothes, nothing whatsoever.

Go to Target, SuperTarget, K-Mart, Best Buy and all the like. Just don't buy anything from Wal-Mart.

Because at the end of the day, it's more than just their DVD sales they should be worried about.

Spread the word.

2. jklps macrumors regular

No problem I'd never go in a Wal-mart anyways:D

There just aren't that many here in DC. Target is closer and better anyhow.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How about...not buying only any movies online from Wal-Mart?

4. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Oh ya, this is going to work.:rolleyes:

5. thestaton macrumors 6502

I do my best to buy nothing from wal-mart. But truth be told if you drive by there store the parking lots are always packed.

I wish it where this easy to just tell people not to shop there.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, its easy to say, but hard to do for somebody. especially u are posting here at MR. which is like.... <.1% of wal-mart's customers? doesn't really have much impact.:rolleyes:

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Well, this is probably the easiest thing I'll ever do in my life. I have NEVER stepped foot inside a Wal-Mart and never will.

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I have never set foot in a Wal*Mart, either. And I never will.

As far as I'm concerned, every store has a sign right next to the door that reads "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".

9. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Honestly, you can make whatever difference you want to. I used to go to Wal-Mart sometimes, but then I heard different things that made me stop wanting to go. They don't treat their employees very well, etc. etc.

Wal-Mart tried to open up 2 new locations in Colorado that I know of that were stopped dead in their tracks because local neighborhoods opposed it so much. Wal-Mart was not deterred but the people wrote petitions, went to meetings and boycotted Wal-Mart and stopped the stores from ever being built. Those people in those neighborhoods didn't just boycott Wal-Mart until they got their way, they stopped altogether.

So while we may be a small %, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, or it won't have any impact. But you're free to do whatever you want. Just a suggestion based on their overall tactics and business practices.

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

The sign should read, "Congratulations! By Shopping at Wal-Mart You Have Effectively Sold Your Soul To Our Lord Satan!"

11. Queso macrumors G4

Down with Wal-Mart!! I'll boycott Asda in solidarity, not that I ever shop there anyway :p

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd love to boycott Wal-Mart, but I have no choice. I live in a tiny town that has nothing more than a Wal-Mart. Their business practices are disgusting. Their latest thing was after a huge ice storm in Missouri last month that left people without power for days and weeks, the Wal-Mart over here raised prices on refrigerated and frozen food knowing that people who had no power would have to buy a ton of food to replace everything that spoiled, so they decided to cash in. I hate that hellhole, and everything it stands for, but I have no choice and still shop there :(

13. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

This is where apple fanboyism goes too far... Competition in the market is a GOOD thing for any consumer.

No offense

14. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Wal-Mart doesn't believe in competition.
    This isn't fanboyism.
    Just a strong dislike for Wal-Mart growing even stronger with each and every thing they do for profit. Good business and the reputation it gets you will go further in the long run than their tactics.

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

^^yg17:

You're profile says St Louis, MO. That's hardly a tiny town. :confused:

Anyway, not buying anything from Walmart is easy for me. I've never bought anything from them and never will...that scum of a company.

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

So you consider when Wal-Mart drives numerous mom & pop stores (see small business) out of town (out of business) that, that's good for competition?

17. esaleris macrumors 6502

The median family income of a Wal-Mart shopper is around $35,000.
    The median family income of a Target shopper is around $65,000.

I'm pretty sure if you wanted to make a statement against Wal-Mart, this may be the wrong place to do it.

18. wako macrumors 65816

LOL!

Embargo? Embargo is usually a ban of something on a COUNTRY. I think you mean BOYCOTT?

19. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Nothing positive can come of this thread. It may as well be locked now, before it gets too ugly.

20. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I agree with that. Or can it be moved into the religion/politcs area?

21. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Every little helps! :p

EDIT: Or is that Tesco's line?

22. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

what part of st. louis are you from?

there're targets all over the place, and too many groceries stores to count, there are even two costcos...

23. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I smell revolution in the air.

Actually, that's just my pasta burning. :(

24. radio893fm macrumors regular

I have always wondered what is the average mental age of the users of this forum... or how far can fanboyism go?

BY the way you are judging Wal-Mart then let's boycott iTunes since we cannot use the files with any other player... or by that matter... let's boycott Apple by its eagerness to make money out of its customers using the most ridiculous excuses like the U1.99 fiasco to activate the n- in a product...

Please let's be consistent!

25. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

That's self-evident, about eight. So there! :p