The Walk-thru Fog Screen

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 9, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's very cool stuff!!

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~ira/wave.html

There's been some really amazing technology recently, what with holograms and that MIT dev Audiopad/Senso table...

Good stuff I say!!

2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Those crafty Fins! Who know what they'll think up over the long...dark...winter?

Honestly, though, it's pretty interesting -- the idea of a walk-through billboard.

(Oh, and in my constant pursuit for full disclosure: idea_hamster, b. 1970, Helsinki.)

3. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Reminds me of seaQuest's Captain Bridger's computer assistant in his quarters... the image of the guy would be projected on a curtain of fog...

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wow, very cool stuff, just downloading the video now...:)

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

wow, i almost forgot all about that. seaquest was pretty darn kewl... how did they make that special effect anyways?

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wow that one of the coolest thigns I've seen in a while, walk through hologram fog...

and I thought making your own fog was cool.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I loved SeaQuest DSV! It was cool how it was futuristic to the point where it was not quite too futuristic. I remember after episodes they'd talk about current technology and how they are evolving into the things you saw from the show and everything. This is some pretty cool stuff. :cool:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, it reminded me more of Stallone's Judge Dredd movie. I don't know why. :confused:

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Did you ever see the Prospecta '92 Toyama Observatory Tower??

A giant cube shaped building with fog and rainbow making apparatus in the centre of it, that could be viewed from the upper inside walkways...

Very, very cool!!

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I wouldn't mind having one of those in my backyard. :cool:

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

wow that is crazy.

No I never saw it, I would have been very young to see it in 92'.

Wow, i really would have liked that.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

With heat and humidity that we are having, my thought about this thread was quit different. Was thinking of the cool mist that they setup here at public events here in Boston, like the 4th of July Concert. They use a fog of cool mist that you can can walk through. The idea is to cool off and prevent the body from over heating.

I remember "Seaquest" also a great show. It was ahead of its time with science!

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very cool stuff! I thought at first it was a laser like system, but its much more simple than that. Great way to display images/movies. :D

I wonder if you could ever get one for home? :D

D

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'm adding it to the spec of my advanced home, when I actually can afford to buy a place in our stupidly inflated house market that is... :rolleyes:

Can you imagine though, having people round, then switching it on and it just floating in mid air... or imagine having picture-in-picture technology so there's like 9 screens all at once... or even have it project landscapes which would be very cool in urban environments...

Damn impressive I say!! :D

With this, that Audiopad/Senso Table thing and the uphill water feature, visitors to your house would certainly have something to talk about!! :D

MrMacman, I've got a couple more images knocking of the Toyama Observatory Tower that really show off the rainbow it can produce, will post them a little later on... ;)

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

the perfect rainbow...

Here it is making a perfect Rainbow...

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why didn't it attach the picture above?? :rolleyes:

Oh well... here's the picture of the mist and fog...

18. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

that is awesome. that's how aple will make a 30inch display:)

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

20. mangoduck macrumors regular

but... it's just a projection on fog. you could project an image on a curtain or a sheet of water or just about anything. what's so amazing? it's not like the picture is anywhere near accurate anyway (straight lines? what?)

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

interesting. good to drive innovation towards free holograms.

but the first time i have to walk through a billboard in a mall, i'm taking a baseball bat to the projectors.

Seriously.

:)

pnw

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wow great pictures, very neat.

Thanks, I wish I was there.

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

"Reach out and touch someone."

For some reason those words seem to have a more visible meaning, but not necessarily a more beneficial one. :D

:eek:

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, that walking through it thing came to mind too...only, I was thinking "wouldn't that suck if I were driving and suddenly drove through one of those billboards" I'd probably drive off the road while thinking "what the hell!" but at any rate, pretty cool stuff.

25. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

That's kind of a similar scenario as that scene in Back To The Future 2, where Fox is in the middle of the Hill Valley, and a hologram for Jaws 3D starts and attacks him in the middle of the street, then disapears... :p

A couple of years ago I had an interview at a company that was dealing with cross-track-projection for London Underground, showing live motion footage on the opposite side of the platform as a change from conventional printed advertising, and the amount of restrictions that had to be considered for motion content was huge...

You couldn't use flames for instance, or imagery that could cause dizziness and make people loose balance and fall on the tracks...

I guess they'd be quite strict laws with regards to what could be projected in public places particularly in 'sue' happy america... :eek: ;) :p