The War Between Xbox 360 and PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, May 4, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I had tried to post this in the other thread, but it got Wastelanded. Hopefully, this thread will fare better if it's started on a more serious note.

The PS3 is losing this war so far, and losing badly.

First, 360s are available, and in quantity. There's something like 5 million of them in the world right now, and the supply chain has caught up with consumer demand and you can now walk in to any Best Buy or EBGames and buy one. PS3s in the marketplace: ZERO. Estimated time of arrival: Still unknown, maybe not until next year (in the US). There could easily be 10 million 360s out there by the time the PS3 is even RELEASED, and it'll take a while for the PS3's supply chain to catch up (if it ever does).

Second, 360s use proven technology within the console itself, and are leaving the new stuff (like HD-DVD) to appear later as OPTIONAL add-ons. This helped the 360 get out the door more quickly, and keeps costs down as consumers are not forced to buy anything more than the bare minimum. The PS3, on the other hand, incorporates an expensive Blu-Ray drive which, if you believe the rumors, doesn't work quite like it should (i.e., they're still working the bugs out) and which is going to drive up the cost of the console. Not to mention the fact that it's still up in the air as to whether Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will win the format war (or neither).

Third, the Xbox 360 is attracting a lot more game talent, especially in Japan, where a couple of popular RPGs are set to be released next week. Sony's edge in software is GONE. Not to mention, the Xbox 360's attach rate to Xbox Live is phenomenally good, at 60%. That's 3 million 360 users playing against each other, downloading games from XBLA, and downloading digital content. Sony has a LOT of work to do to prove they can match this.

The only things Sony really has going for it right now are (1) fanboy inertia and (2) we can be reasonably certain that the PS3 will be a powerful and capable console when it's released.

Of course, whether it will be BETTER than the 360 is another question. Most of the signs say it will be pretty much the same machine in terms of power and graphics. And then the question for the Sony fanboys will be, "Why'd you wait so long to go next-gen?"

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I fear starting any thread on this mate. I'm glad the last thread was axed as it was total troll material.

I agree with you, personally I dont care who wins the war, as long as both sell bucket-loads, then I'll least be happy gaming on whatever format for a good amount of years to come on a strengthened industry.

What's wrong with having two or three v.good machines with a few differences ? Nothing, most games are multiformat these days, and an equal share are exclusives between the 360 and PS3 and Nintendo

For most, just buy whatever has the game you want on it.

Do I think Blu Ray will make a difference, to some maybe, to others no. I have no interest in it myself.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

It's a bit early to be declaring a winner when two of the opponents (to continue the "war" analogy) have yet to take the field of battle.

Analysts' estimates show that the 360 will dominate until 2008, when PS3 will gain enough momentum to retake the top spot.

In any event, I for one wouldn't be so quick to count out the market leader (Sony) who, at times, has controlled 80% of the industry.

[Edit] Any any post is going to be difficult to garner support when you make reference to "fanboys"; this thread will likely flame out, too.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Agreed. There's one VERY LARGE MARKET which you aren't taking into account here: JAPAN. The Japanese don't like the Xbox consoles. It's been shown not only by the first console, but by this one.

The PS3 has features the 360 won't, and vice versa. Both will be great in their own ways, but, if the past shows anything, the PS3 will own the market. The PSX console game in and destroyed the N64 market. The PS2 dominated the next market. I have no reason to believe it won't retake the lead. And this isn't fanboy talk, it's speculation based on proven past battles won by Sony.

I'll be buying a PS3 to sit next to my 360, that's for sure.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yeah this can't really be said who is losing if both of the systems aren't out yet.

And i agree the xBox will lose once again horribly in Japan

All i know is that no one i know is buying an xbox360 and is just waiting for the PS3

but as we all know i wont own either, Wii for me

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Same here. I've always been a Nintendo boy, but even if I wasn't, there's no way I'm paying $650 for a console. It will be interesting to see the pricing the PS3 adopts.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

War?:confused: ......there is no war when theres one player in the game......its really too early for this.

Bless

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hand on heart honest prediction? Wild wild guess?

It's going to be very close this time. The PS3's high price will likely keep people back, people who could buy a 360 and a few games or a Wii and a plethora of games for the price of 1 PS3. The 360's already installed base among the 'graphics whores' will help keep an edge too.

Ak! I dunno you can't say really. Isn't the 360 doing worse than the original Xbox in these first 6 or so months? You really just can't say. Though my gut is telling me 360 will be a hot dog this generation. I just have this feeling Bungie learnt from Halo 2's bad single player.

9. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

Are you kidding me?

The xbox360 is going to be get destroyed... its no where near the same graphics/processing power as the ps3 will be. PS3 is going to have online play, without having to pay-per-month... as for the addons for the xbox 360, thats annoying. I'd rather have everything in one box.

The 360's launch was really poor, the games weren't that impressive at all.

I work at a game development company - we love games here... and no one... NO ONE bought a 360.

10. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

So, what THIS guy is saying is incorrect?:

I know some people want it all "in the box", but many other people want to buy only what they want to buy... so that's a matter of opinion.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My PSX treated my great. My PS2 treats me great. I am sticking with Sony only because they haven't steered me wrong yet (in the video game department anyway). It will take a total bomb of a system for me to switch to someone else.

Which one is going to be better? I have no idea. Nor do I care. The systems are going to be too similar. The games will determine the winner. While I play many different video games, I primarily use consoles for sports titles and Metal Gear.

As far as I know, MGS4 is expect to be released for PS3 before 360 (if it's released for the 360 at all).

As far as sports game go, I remember someone from EA staying that the PS2 held pack the Xbox. While graphics on the Xbox were could be much better than on the PS2, it wasn't worth rewriting much of the code to get the most out of the Xbox. They just made the minimum number of changes to get each to work on their specific hardware. No matter which system is better, I assume the PS3 (or 360) will hold back the 360 (or PS3) in games released for both systems.

But about this losing the war thing. How can Sony be losing the war when they haven't even lined up their soldiers for battle? Hell, they haven't even finished training their soldiers.

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Ok, enough joking. I will be enjoying all next gen consoles. I will appreciate their respective strengths and accept their weaknesses. I will refrain from using the word fanboy in any future argument because I think it's offensive and would probaly make me sound like a fanboy of the opposite point of view. I think that the only losers in a console war are the consumers, from all sides. Have a nice day, looking forward to play with you all, no matter what console you love the most. ________srobert

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bad post.

Firstly, as ClayJ said and as we have a topic about here, the PS3 and 360 will have identical graphics. Some devs were reportedly doubting the PS3's 1080p output on games. Which, if true, utterly destroys the "dual 1080p 120fps" claim by Sony. then again if you believed that then you are a randomly inserted silly name.

I will agree at the 360's bad launch. It's only now with GRAW, Tomb Raider Legends and 1 or 2 more games that I'm starting to take note of the 360. It was a rushed launch. It was terrible.

Mate, the kind of person who works at a game developer studio would know about the similarities with the PS3 and 360 graphics. They also wouldn't write such a terribly conceived post.

If online play is what's going to win it then Nintendo has already won. Both their systems are (or do) have a free online service. Have you even seen the number of NWC connections? It's quite insane.

If add-ons annoy you then I hope you don't have a PSP, with it's optional 4gb drive, the upcoming announced TV Tuner, GPS (was it?) and camera? I'd avoid the DS too with the M3 Adapter and PassKey. I'd like the HDD to be inside the 360 too, but ho hum. It's not exactly a portable machine. And hells if you can easily carry a PS3 with all that weight and size.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah Right :rolleyes:

For someone who works for a 'game development company' your lack of knowledge is truly outstanding.

The words TROLLING IDIOT spring to mind. Now go to your bedroom, finish your homework and GROW UP!!! :mad:

See what you started Clayj :eek:

15. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

You can play PS3 online without paying a fee?

Who cares who wins the war, there's nothing stopping us all trying/buying both consoles anyway. You buy one, your mate buys the other.

They are both powerful machines, but i think the PS3 is tipped to be a tad more powerful, and it has the mega awesome hype about it, which everyone will get caught up in and buy one anyway, even if they own a 360.

I am personally waiting for the PS3, but good luck to the 360.

There's nothing wrong with competition, it actually benefits us all.

Rich.

16. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

I'm a Xbox360 type of person myself, but i'm pretty sure the PS3 will do just fine. I know people who own a 360, and i know some who are waiting for the PS3.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hard to say that the PS3 has lost a war that hasn't really been fought yet. Certainly, the Xbox 360 continues to gain momentum the longer PS3 and Wii:rolleyes: remain on the sidelines. Still, that didn't ultimately help Sega much, did it?

Pre-E3, I'm planning on getting both a PS3 and Wii:rolleyes: at launch and will probably end up getting a 360 when the price drops to $200-250 and the greatest hits games are available.

Who cares what hardware is incrementally superior in physics or graphics when they all look so good? It's always all about the games, baby.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Shh, don't tell that to the game developer in our midst.

19. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the either HDD-equipped version of the 360 to drop down to $299 or the PS3 to reach that price point. I can't see spending $400 on a console, but $300 is more reasonable. Still need to spend cash for the games, eh?

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I wouldn't be suprised if your studio work is roughly equal to a friend's work at ARM head office - keeping stuff ticking over, typing stuff into a computer that someone else devised and serving drinks

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Because, as we all know, one person's ancedotal evidence is representative of the market at large. :rolleyes:

MS/Sony/Nintendo ought to just give it up now. I mean eva and his buds could care less about the 360/PS3/Wii, so its clearly a failure! :p

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

No, they're actually ahead and are looking at an install base of 5 to 5.5 million by the end of June.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i wouldn't say ps3 is the winner over 360.. nor the opposite.. so far the battle between those didn't even start yet

sure the 360 is selling at the moment.. but they could do better.. a lot ..

will the ps3 be not as "super" as many make it out to be: very likely

in the US and the UK i guess it's gonna be real close between those two
    in the rest of europe ps3 will continue with a solid lead and in japan the PS will continue to wipe the floor with the xbox...

sorry but i somehow don't buy into peter moore saying "the ninety nine nights launch with 26.000 games sold and additional 1.000 Xbox 360 sold in launch week was a success"

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well I must say this is a better start of a thread... even if we have some flaming already (MacRumorUser? ;))

Well here's my take for "pending war predictions" and the systems in general:

The Sony/PS3 Problem:

First party games. That's almost all I need to say and the rest can be derived. Many of the hot games that have come to past Sony systems and are headed to PS3 are third party.

Here are franchises that aren't (as far as I could tell) not owned by Sony but associated heavily with PlayStation: Tekken (Namco), SOCOM (Zipper Interactive), Final Fantasy (Square-Enix), Metal Gear Solid (Konami), Devil May Cry (Capcom), Ratchet & Clank (Insomniac), Kessen (KOEI), and Zone of Enders (Konami).

These games could potential switch platforms or go multi-platform and Sony would be left with little. I would not doubt these franchises stay exclusive to Sony thanks to large never-ending exclusivity contracts. Luckily for them they landed some quality hits in God of War and Shadow of Colossus.

Other games have jumped before, prior mascot Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Dynasty Warriors, Ridge Racer, and Onimusha to mention a few. What happens if more do the same? Armored Core developer [From Software] is already working on Chromehounds for Xbox 360 which looks to be their best Mech game yet.

The Japanese market:

While comparisons are usually 360 vs PS3, in Japan this is much more Sony vs Nintendo. Nintendo's handheld systems have always done phenominally there and while Sony did best them with PS1 and PS2, they still did far better then Microsoft ever has.

So this comes down to PS3 vs Wii and Nintendo has a chance to duplicate the success of DS in Japan with Wii. The Japanese people seem to really attach to the more "wild" or "zaney" things and Wii definitely will stand apart there.

I really think Nintendo has the possibility of winning Japan back if DS is any indication.

Xbox 360 and PS3 this Holiday season:

My predictions is that PS3 will cost at least somewhat more then 360 by Holiday '06 and have supply problems in comparison (as most highly anticipated system launches do).

These problems will increase 360 adoption even more as people will chose the 360 due to price (parents) or just can't get a hold of a PS3 while 360 stock abounds.

This should also help Wii but it, too, could have supply issues if it is even $100 US cheaper then the 360.

2007 and beyond...

Xbox 360 will have benefitted greatly by Holiday '06, more then it's competitors and moving into '07 anticipation of the Halo 3 release will keep positive buzz for 360 as well as several other titles. The online community will be much larger then it is now and this will continue to sustain existing players and lure new players. The release of at least one high profile MMORPG will further this...

Sony, meanwhile, is set to have some of it's worst years in it's history because of all of this. I think they will still do well, but in comparison to the days of PS1/2 their market share will be significantly lower.

EDIT: Corrections and clarifications. Added missed Chromehounds mention.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

EDIT: Ok, but a boost from now to the end of June of an extra 2 million seems a little hopeful saying its only shipped 3 million at the moment. http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/28/3-2-million-xbox-360s-sold-388-million-in-operating-losses/.
    That must sting.

And I can't remember where I heard it, but I'm sure as hell a news site said at since their launch dates, the original Xbox sold more after the current 360's lifespan. About 1/3 more. I'd trawled Joystiq but can't find anything. Nevermind. It was probably on a forum and therefore questionable.