The way the US Justice System Should Work.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by coopdog, Dec 20, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I was watching Real TV the other day, They showed a court room where a guy was on trial for killing a man. The dead man's mother and family was there, then the killer said something about the guy he killed the mother about 70 jumped on the killer and tried to beat him up. He wasn't harmed but the mother got assult charges. Does that make sense to you?

If you have kids or a wife, and someone killed them, then in court or in transport you shot the person that killed them, you would get murder charges. Are you going to kill again? No.

There was a case in California about the three strike rule. A homeless man was caught three times for stealing. The things he stole were, food, a lighter, and batteries. Things he needed. He got 25 years. Why not put him in a job program? Get him back on his feet. Or get him on a food bank program?

Does the five year old that brought his dad's gun to school after watching Cops and shots a classmate really need a life sentence?

The way the Justice should work IHO:
    IQ level, Age level (under 13), Odds of a repeat crime.

IQ Level: I don't think you should charge someone with Autism or Down syndrome the same as a person with a mature brain. A person with Down Syndrome is not going to know the consences or repercussions of their actions to the same extent as an adult with no mental problems.

Age level: Just like IQ level, a young child isn't going to know the repercussinons of their actions the same way someone older than 10-13 would.

Odds of a repeat crime: I think this is one of the most important. Is a dad that kills the man that killed his wife, going to commit murder again? Odds are no.

What do you think should be done?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: The way the US Justice System Should Work.

if she assaulted him, yes.

the judge can make a determination of extenuating circumstances, which is his job. if she assaulted him, the police should follow their procedure, which is their job.

that said, if i was that woman, i would have done the same thing.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sometimes an assault charge is worth it. But you have to accept responsibility for your actions, so if it's worth it to you to take a swing, or to face murder charges for taking the law into your own hands, just realize that's what you are doing. It can't be condoned by society though.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What if the guy who killled your kid did it because your kid killed someone in his family?

Why bother to charge him then? He's not going to kill again either. This line of thinking doesn't add up.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Um, why didn't the bum go get a job himself? There are plenty of shelters and programs in CA and they aren't too difficult to locate. You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Lethal

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Re: The way the US Justice System Should Work.

Lethal, there are all kinds of reasons people don't have jobs. I don't know the case in question, but any way you stack it 25 years for petty theft is absurd. We will be paying millions to house folks like this in prisons when we could be spending thousands to rehab folks and build a better society in the process.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Re: The way the US Justice System Should Work.

It is criminal to steal a purse, daring to steal a fortune, a mark of greatness to steal a crown. The blame diminishes as the guilt increases. - Johan Christoph Friedrich von Schiller, poet and dramatist (1759-1805)

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Re: Re: Re: The way the US Justice System Should Work.

Very good, zim, that's one I hadn't heard before. Do you think anyone in the US justice system has read Les Misérables? We are creating an underclass of thousands of Jean Valjeans everyday.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Re: Re: The way the US Justice System Should Work.

There are also all sorts of programs, shelters, and charities existing for no other purpose than to help those who are homeless. Out of the past 2.5 years I've spent about 12 or 13 months out of work so, while not homeless, I understand what it means to be out of a job. But being unemployed or homeless is no excuse for stealing. I do agree, though, that 25 for petty theft is absurd. I think the "zero tolerance" and "three strikes" policies, while having the right intent, can easily turn moronic when people blindly follow them.

Lethal

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Re: Re: The way the US Justice System Should Work.

i'm a big fan of judicial discretion. i'm less a fan of legislators posturing about being 'tough on crime' when they're so disconnected from the reality of how those laws are applied.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The way the US Justice System Should Work.

Judicial discretion is a good thing. There is no way to make laws that can fairly address every possible scenario and situation.

Lethal