The web site from Hell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm writing this in Safari because, as I speak to you, the Comedy Central web site has hijacked my Camino browser and I can't do a thing with it besides watch that damned spinning beachball.

It's been this way for seven or eight minutes now. I've only been able to navigate to two pages -- the splash page and the Daily Show page -- and both of them are overloaded with graphics, javascript, and video that runs without you asking it to. I even pressed the pause button on TDS's video, and it won't stop.

Arrrrggghhh.

Needless to say, they're going to be getting a terse, upset e-mail from me. They always used to be this way, but now it's worse than I've ever seen it.

But I thought this would at least make a good jumping-off point to ask you...what websites have you had problems with? Who is just so overloaded with gimmicks that it's not even worth it to visit their site?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the espn site is pretty bad. it's just got so much stuff going on, and now they have video that automatically plays. no site should have music or video that comes on without you telling it to, that's my opinion.

uggh

3. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i dumped espn a long time ago. they are just wasted space now. most of their articles are now pay and the free stuff is fluff. i rarely go there now.

and what's worse, now an ad plays before you enter the site. i want sports news, not a beer ad.

4. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Agreed. That reminds me too much of MySpace. :p

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Myspace.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Myspace is by far the worst site on the internet.

7. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

***WARNING***

DO NOT!!!! CLICK THIS IF YOU'RE USING A PC!!

www.goggle.com

DO NOT!!!! CLICK THIS IF YOU'RE USING A PC!!

***WARNING***

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well...I've always suspected this site as having the highest gimmick to content ratio.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

PC Magazine always scares me with how much "content" they throw onto one page. And then they break up articles into far-too-many pages. Enough already!

10. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I really think the internet should be deleted, and everyone who has legitimate content and actually updates their webpage, will bring theirs back on, and the internet will run 100000000x's faster cause theres less stuff to go through. Google results will be in the lower 100's
    The internet will be a place where people throw ducks at balloons, and nothing is what it seems. :)